Tropical Lake Map Discussion

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Tropical Lake Map Discussion

Postby TheKoopa » 19 Aug 2014, 00:03

This 1v1, 10x10 map is now out! (Actually, it's version 6 already xD). I want all discussion of this map (balance, reclaim, overall gameplay comments, suggestions) to take place here, rather than as comments on the map in the vault. I am constantly updating my map, so expect constant change.

About this map: It is a navy, 10x10, 1v1 map. Because of the map design that I put in, a lot of strategies are viable here. I specifically made this map to discourage Zthuee and Aurora spam, frigate spam really puts them out of the equation. The landmasses connected to the main island that you spawn in creates some interesting game play, making drops all the more deadly and ACU's + engineers much more powerful. T1 navy plays an important role since a lot of mexes are reachable by frigates. ACU plays an important role here as you can move freely, but placement is important because all of the land masses are reachable by frigates and the map is BIG with lots of WATER, so subs are important here. And again, a lot of strategies are viable. I find that Riptides on this map are awesomesauce, their maneuverability and fast speed is essential for raiding as well as quick defence.

If you have any good replays on this map, post here so I can look!

*Note: Any Vaidens that pop up are accidental uploads and/or FAF was just being newb. Stick strictly to the Tropical Lake uploads because Vaiden doesn't work/

Special thanks to:
The Mak
MouseFabricator
SneakySnake
Blodir
Plasma_Wolf
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Re: Tropical Lake Map Discussion

Postby BushMaster » 21 Aug 2014, 19:54

A few suggestions on both the map and the thread, having a pic in thread goes a long way. if your wondering how, just launch game with no fog of war and cheats, delete commander, zoom all the way out, take screenshot, then crop the image so you are just left with the map.

As for the map, i have two major issues (not gameplay related). the first is that the transition to the islands (that narrow land bridge) is visually akward. The second is the reclaim, that big rock in the base is also visually unpleasing as well as the rocks in the mid.

I also do not understand the blank strata layer in use (where you used a normal map in place of an actual texture (aka the pink strata)) its not that you cant make interesting effects with this, but currently it isnt beneficial. whe zoomed in it just looks ugly.

How to fix the issues is always the tricky part. if it were me i would either seperate that large island from the starting land mass, or make the connecting bridge larger, or just experiment with random things for a while until you find something that looks good. and the reclaim is kind of just trial and error, but rocks more in scale with the density and size of the trees will most likely work best. and as for strata, just experiment, thats about all i can say.

Of course these are all visual fixes, but they go a long ways towards getting more people to play :)
BushMaster

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: MooseFabricator

Postby ZLO_RD » 22 Aug 2014, 01:36

i do not have much feedback about map

there are some building wrecks on small islands and cause of trees i could not see what is there =\ maybe it is just me

also you seem to not know about tree chunks, it is not really related to map, but i just want you to know that you can reclaim some types of trees by chunks if you not knock/break trees, you can see me doing this agressively if you watch replay of our game
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Lionhardt » 22 Aug 2014, 20:32

In the new version you changed the land bridges. But they still look awkward. And they always will if you keep them that thin and long.

I also see that the map is not actually properly rotated with a tool. You just eyeballed it. You should make it properly symmetrical.

As it stands, while I see where what game play you had in mind shaping the map, the map looks very unappealing and boring. Give it more terrain features, that would help a lot. Maybe shrink down the current area and add stuff around it. Making the spawn land masses islands themselves would also contribute towards making the map look less ...unpretty.

Also: The central islands is not in the actual center!

Really there needs a lot to be done here. But you have lots of advices now.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt