MouseFabricator WIP thread (TheBush)

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

MouseFabricator WIP thread (TheBush)

Postby BushMaster » 14 Aug 2014, 00:45

Current Map: Stella Maris (Released and in Vault, V@ now LIVE)
For anyone wondering its pronounced (Stella Mar-ease or Mar-ee) but choose whatever sounds best to you.

Current Version: 2

V2 Changelog: Trees removed from beach hydro, and added ability to place a factory between hydro and mex for beach player. Added more reclaim for outer "rock" player, the position is now much more pleasing to play. Back and top Plateaue/cliff area can no longer have a factory distance built by an engineer (requires trans until props are reclaimed) Slight adjustments made the Heightmap and strata. Preview now works for all those who never had it in find games tab.

Description: 4 v 4...... This map is intended to have a large variety of tactics and options as well as rewarding teamwork, currently there is a lot of visual work to be done and some balance to mex and reclaim. Dont mistake the amount of mexes for this being an eco-whore map, early aggression is powerful and many mexes are quite vulnerable to a variety of attacks. I am working on creating the best possible gameplay. this map is also testing some experimental ideas such as 2 v 1 spawns vs the standard 1v1 ish spawns of other maps, and also placing air-ish (or NAVY!!) players closer, to promote aggression. i also tried some changes in heightmap to prevent one faction from being too powerful. Transports are your friend, so is aggression.

NOTE: All submerged units and land EXP can traverse Seabed without issue
NOTE: the entire sea bed is also just a plceholder atm, once all heightmap changes are finished final seabed will be implemented
Spoiler: show

NEW Stella Maris 1v1is with adjusted Mex locations

Version: 1

I would like to make these maps as perfect and balanced as possible gameplay wise for all factions as well as visually, but this requires your feedback. Please post feedback so i can improve the map :) thank you for your time

For those interested in the technical side, the entire heightmap was done in the official editor, using supcom symmetry to symmetritize it.

New Map in Testing
Attachments
Testing2.rar
Place in C:\\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\Maps
(359.93 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Last edited by BushMaster on 11 Jul 2016, 02:56, edited 14 times in total.
BushMaster

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: MooseFabricator

Re: MouseFabricator WIP thread (TheBush)

Postby Lionhardt » 15 Aug 2014, 13:39

I don't have my gaming computer atm, therefore I cannot test the map. But judging form the screenshot it does not look bad at all. I would scrap the 2v1 idea though.
As this is basically a naval dominance map with all those islands and no land bridges between the teams I would greatly reduce the mex count on the mainland as to ensure people will actually fight for the little islands. As it is it looks very turtle-fast -t3-air-techy. Also I would move some of those islands closer to the equator of the map. If the mex layout and topology stays as it is I don't see this map making for good gameplay. But it has great potential if you change a few things.

What is the edge length btw?

Suggestion on visual improvement:

If you have still a stratum left for that, paint a darker texture of rock into the crevices of the mountains to give it a more plastic and sharp edged look.

The result might look like: download/file.php?id=5961
Last edited by Lionhardt on 15 Aug 2014, 13:48, edited 2 times in total.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Gorton » 15 Aug 2014, 13:42

The middle and the side with two players is a cliff meaning you have to distance build - or transport- engieneers. This means that some teamwork allows the 2v1 to not lose instantly to some t1 naval rush from the single player (who has a beach)
When I played it I found that it is not that turtly, but I agree with a couple of mexes being moved to some middle location where they can be fought over.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Omnipotent » 15 Aug 2014, 18:04

It's a nice heightmap and the spawn points are nice...

Few aesthetic problems though, I am in no way, shape or form an expert, but the stratum paining is not great.

1) Bottom right cliffs strata is "patchy"
2) Floating rocks at both sides towards the back
3) No decals???

Anyways it's a nice idea 2 v 1 naval battles each side, beach and cliffs, is a nice touch.
Just a little feedback, usually people just thumb down without explaining what's wrong with it.

Best regards - Omni.
1 Sulphur Mounds, Sulphur Lake, and Open Combat
2 Coastal Bridge v2
3 Burner, Burner II
4 Fortress Ascent
5 Gap Of Genesis
6 Genesis VI, Genesis IV
7 Coastal Aisles
8 Hypothermia
9 The Requisite
10 New Wonder
11 New Zeta Wonder
Omnipotent
Crusader

Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Omnipotent

Postby BushMaster » 15 Aug 2014, 20:45

Lionhardt wrote:I don't have my gaming computer atm, therefore I cannot test the map. But judging form the screenshot it does not look bad at all. I would scrap the 2v1 idea though.
well it is a 4v4 map, but i placed 2 players close together who have a slight dissadvantage to the adjacent player to promote teamwork and a variety of options, i also dont like the idea of dedicated air spots. 4 player navy will likely win vs 3 and 1 air.

Lionhardt wrote:I would greatly reduce the mex count on the mainland as to ensure people will actually fight for the little islands.
yes, this i am still working to improve, it is more eco'y then i would like but agrression is still very powerful.

Lionhardt wrote:Also I would move some of those islands closer to the equator of the map.
the only issue i have with this is heavy clustering of navy, currently the islands also act as a tactical barrier to fight around and makes navy more equall across factions in t2, but i am still considering all options for best gameplay.

Lionhardt wrote:What is the edge length btw?
if your are talking map size it is 10km

Lionhardt wrote:If you have still a stratum left for that, paint a darker texture of rock into the crevices of the mountains to give it a more plastic and sharp edged look.
YES thank you for the idea, map is currently only 3 strata and was considering using it for a snow mask but this might work better.

Omnipotent wrote:Few aesthetic problems though, I am in no way, shape or form an expert, but the stratum paining is not great.

1) Bottom right cliffs strata is "patchy"
2) Floating rocks at both sides towards the back
3) No decals???
i am still working on all visuals, strata in particular are only 50% ish the way i would like. and no decals yet but i will include them soon, it just takes an hour to lay a single one in editor because they are so finnicky =\

Omnipotent wrote:Just a little feedback, usually people just thumb down without explaining what's wrong with it.

yes thank you :) i do want to make this map the best it can be so i appreciate all the feedback i can get
BushMaster

Postby Lionhardt » 15 Aug 2014, 23:45

Ah, now I understand the 2v1 thing.

Another suggestion for improving your strata, now that I know you are interested in it. Export your grass layers and run a cloud filter over them. You will get a much more natural looking patchy type of grass. I suggest a rather dark lower stratum. Then you can also use the highest stratum for your snow layer.

4th: snow texture
3rd: rock texture (a rather light one, I suggest. You can darken it by increasing its translucency to let the dark lower shine through)
2nd. grass texture 2 (different one from 1)
1st: grass texture 1
lower: dark mud/ dirt

If you utilize the dark lower stratum for contrast by letting it shine through the other textures in a patchy fashion you can get a lot of depth in all of your textures.

You might run into problems with seabed textures though... I never did a map with large water bodies.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby BushMaster » 27 Aug 2014, 00:42

V2 is now Live, also added 1v1 version. i am still working heavily on visuals + decals, but no major changes in v2. Still trying to balance gameplay /fun between all spawns with continueing versions
BushMaster

Return to Mapping