Create Fine Details with Official Map Editor?

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Create Fine Details with Official Map Editor?

Postby Atrain » 10 Jul 2014, 17:42

I noticed that maps such as "Arctic Refuge" (official map) and "Fields of Thunder" (third party map) have very fine grooves and elevation details. For instance, on the four central hills on "Arctic Refuge" there are very fine details for grooves and erosion on the snow. I don't know how to do this, and I wonder how anyone could explain how to do it on the official map editor, please?

I've tried using the "erosion" brushes but no matter how I adjust the strength or depth, or how I use blur or unsharp afterwards, I really only get blobs, not the fine detail like I see in "Arctic Refuge" or "Fields of Thunder." Is there some process I need to go through?

Please help!
Atrain
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Atrain

Re: Create Fine Details with Official Map Editor?

Postby BushMaster » 10 Jul 2014, 18:38

Those are decals. in the layers window go to decals, and then use the resource window to browse them. if you look at them from the side youll also notice they are flat, they are just an optical illusion, though critical for a beautiful map. fine detail like that simply isnt possible given the density of heightmaps, so decals are used in its place.
BushMaster

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: MooseFabricator

Postby Atrain » 10 Jul 2014, 20:45

Do they just use decals specific to the texture/stratum "for example: evergreen" or do they use decals outside of the theme/texture of the map? For instance, using tundra decals on an evergreen map, or vice versa. Does it also matter what texture/stratum you are using? I find it hard to see the decals on certain textures and stratums.
Atrain
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Atrain

Postby BushMaster » 10 Jul 2014, 22:54

Well, it really depends on the map. typically when you stick to a certain strata set, your map will be of a certain style, so decals of the same set will most likely fit best. however you can still use decals from other sets to create nice effects and just improve the overall look (you can also just open maps you like and see what they use). as for decals being hard to see, there is a camera range for which decals will be hidden(or LOD) which you can adjust per decal while it is selected. i imagine you are finding them hard to see because when you zoom out to look at them they become hidden due to the LOD (i.e. range when decal dissapears). decals themselves are typically just an alpha map so they will be harder to see on darker strata/certain light settings, however ive never really had it hard to see, just less obvious a decal was there. also, ideally your decals will flow naturally and will just appear to be part of the map (they should also act as visual identifiers, no one likes the spot on the map that looks entirely like a cliff but you can still walk over it), also, if all your decals have the same LOD setting then you will get an annoying popping effect from zooming in/out, so having a smooth transitions for all your decals is critical. if your looking for more info on the decals/how to use and manipulate them its all in the tutorials.
BushMaster

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: MooseFabricator

Return to Mapping