Q: How steep is too steep to walk across?

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Q: How steep is too steep to walk across?

Postby nine2 » 07 Jun 2014, 04:50

Does anyone know how steep a hill has to be before you can't walk across it?

Does this differ for different units?

Thanks
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Re: Q: How steep is too steep to walk across?

Postby nine2 » 07 Jun 2014, 14:06

From my trials it appears that it is passable if the difference in height between two adjacent points is (after adjusting for HeightScale) less than 0.75
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Re: Q: How steep is too steep to walk across?

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 14 Jun 2014, 23:47

In the map editor, red is impassable, colourless is passable but unbuildable and green is passable and buildable. You can see the colours by going to view -> debug -> slope (something like that. Also, when making maps, I try to at least have all passages green (33% of the width green is my demanded lower bound. I do this for two reasons: one, having a passage between two cliffs at transparent slope looks hideous imo. Two: passable does not mean passable for lasers. The arc at the top of a hill should be smoot to not heavily favor UEF weapons. You can't directly see whether it's good with just the colours, but a good rule of thumb is that if you have the ascent to the hill at transparent slope, then the arc at the top is too much of a chane for laser turrets and laser tanks to fire over it.

I think the unbuildable and impassable slope values can be changed in the editor, so it should be possible to have different values in all maps. I can't remember correctly though and I'm sure it's never been tried.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Return to Mapping