WIP Maps by THE HOFF

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

WIP Maps by THE HOFF

Postby The Hoff » 26 May 2014, 10:44

ALPHA (Unplayble and in production)
Stage 0
A : A desert Map with some water. Unfinished concept.

BETA (Playable but need tweaking/balancing/fixing)

Stage 1 Needs Spawns

Stage 2 Needs Mass Points
Dual Zoner : 10x10 8 Spawn Non Symetrical Pick your Dual Zone Concept Map

Stage 3 Needs Uploading to Vault
Gap of Rohan 6v6 Finished, Have fixed issue with spawns and middle mass. Ready for Release, cannot upload to vault do to error code have posted in forums requesting help with error code

Stage 4 Needs Playtesting

REL (Uploaded to the Vault)

Stage 5 Beta Release
Gap of Rohan 5v5 Needs middle mass put back in. May need MEXs adjusted. Issue with spawns and issue with missing middle mass
Line of Fire : 10x10 6v6 designed for ultimate turtle combat. Inspired by the idea of making a 6v6 Rohan with 2 Gaps, Has to Side areas that are wide choke points. Should make for very messy combat.

Stage 6 Finished

Last edited by The Hoff on 06 Jun 2014, 17:23, edited 5 times in total.
The Hoff

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: The Hoff

Re: WIP Maps by THE HOFF

Postby Lionhardt » 26 May 2014, 16:47

The Hoff wrote:
ALPHA (Unplayble and in production)
Stage 0
A : A desert Map with some water. Unfinished concept.

BETA (Playable but need tweaking/balancing/fixing)

Stage 1 Needs Spawns

Stage 2 Needs Mass Points
Dual Zoner : 10x10 8 Spawn Non Symetrical Pick your Dual Zone Concept Map

Stage 3 Needs Uploading to Vault

Stage 4 Needs Playtesting

REL (Uploaded to the Vault)

Stage 5 Beta Release
Gap of Rohan 5v5 Needs middle mass put back in. May need MEXs adjusted.
Line of Fire : 10x10 6v6 designed for ultimate turtle combat. Inspired by the idea of making a 6v6 Rohan with 2 Gaps, Has to Side areas that are wide choke points. Should make for very messy combat.

Stage 6 Finished

--- just quoting this in case you alter the start post later so people don't think I'm crazy.

What exactly are you intending to convey? This post tells pretty much nothing. Just some incomprehensible notes. No explaining text. Not even pictures. I looked up "Dual Zone" in the vault, but couldn't find it.

Edit: Don't mean to sound like a jerk... I just don't understand what you are trying to say.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby The Hoff » 27 May 2014, 05:19

Its a list of the Work in Progress of the combined sum of the maps I'm working on. Whats wrong with them and if they are available or not online.
The Hoff

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 27 May 2014, 09:29

Look at lionhardt's WIP thread. It's a thread to show what has been made (screenshots) and to get some advice for the map balance and the looks. What you have so far are some notes that show what you still have to do. There's no way we can look at the map, comment on it or give advice on what is best for the balance and/or looks.

Your first post is what I would make for myself as a to do list to keep on my desk, rather than a four topic.

By the time you get to stage 4 of your post, it's time for a screenshot and a forum post.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby The Hoff » 27 May 2014, 10:03

I understand what you are saying. I am compiling a central thread for all my maps so feedback and comments can come directly here.

Photos of finished maps will be posted when I take them and have something to show. I prefer to hold of on taking photos of unfinished work in favor of organizing and finishing the work.

Also I haven't gotten the whole process down just yet. This is due partly because the documentation on the process conflicts with itself, is unclear, incomplete or non existent and also because I am new to it.

Thus far I have had all kind of input from various people when I had problems with scripting. None of those suggestions actually fixed my issue. While I value all input and suggestions I value the ones that work the most. I'm not entirely certain what exactly was the fix. All I know is when I replaced the script file which I had amended a half dozen times with the suggestions given that didn't work, with a script file that was identical to one in a working map except for for the name path it suddenly works.

I have ruled out the size or formatting it just simply did not work.

Subsequently I have fixed the Gap of Rohan map versions 5v5 and 6v6. I have the mass back in and the extra spawn points removed. The map launches and all spots work. All mexes are buildable. However, the vault now is sassing me and telling me that i have invalid map data in the folder. Image

So I try and make a new folder with different name same shit. I dont know what is wrong with it. What I conclude is there is nothing wrong with it LOL. The original that I made is a 5v5 gap that is in the vault has 5v5 spots but it doesn't have the mass in the middle and it has 2 additional bogus spawns. Of course since there is no documentation on how the vault works, there is no way to remove a map from it once it is up there. Ahahaha. I'm sure there is a good reason to keep that up there like that but not to be able to upload a new version? I dont know. Does anybody know?

What I do know is that the Gap that is up there has 2 script files, 2 scenario files, and 2 map files in the folder. Yet it works, but it also gives 2 listings in the game when you got to look for it. Obviously I'd like to get that out of the Vaul ASAP and also document exactly how the vault process is supposed to work step by step with photos. It may not be all that complicated but thus far I am having a hell of a time with it as you can see. I've only attempted to upload 3 maps, failed on 2 and remove 1 and failed to do that too.

Here is Dual Zoner. Not sure why you want to see it. It doesn't have Mexes yet or finished decals. Sometimes maps which seem like fun but don't have a lot of particular utility I'll just do the elevations on and stop work on it there. Or if I get bored with the textures, I'll stop there, or if the decals, which take about 3-5 hours for a real good job, sometimes I just get bored of that too. So I stop but I of course don't want to abandon the map I just set it aside. This is how I work with these and I am pretty productive with it but it may not be how you guys do it and thats ok. Shitty decal job is a pet pev of mine. I think I quit Dual Zoner because I've tried to decal it twice without too much success.

Fixing broken maps is alot faster and I can be very productive adding new gameplay to a map like Rohan if the damn vault cooperates. Ok I wrote enough I hope you get a sense of what I am trying to do here with the thread and the post. I prefer one thread to dozens about maps.

Thank
TheHoff
The Hoff

Postby The Hoff » 07 Jun 2014, 09:19

Just released 5v5 Pitch Black Gap check it out
The Hoff

Postby The Hoff » 07 Jun 2014, 19:49

I was banned today. Good luck making maps. Please take over development of the map for the community. Thanks Hoff
The Hoff

Return to Mapping