Unloaded under certain height

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Unloaded under certain height

Postby Fichom » 30 Mar 2014, 20:36

Hey, I've just started making maps, so I'm new in this thing and I've faced a problem to which I haven't been able to find a solution in one of the existing posts. When I'm making map, everything looks cool, but when i open the map in the game, parts of the map under certain height are not loaded(looks black, just compare the pictures in attachment).

It is a 256x256 map, with initial elevation of 64. The "unloaded" black part seems to be under 40 elevation(approximation compared to a part that is 42 high and still showing on the part which is not on the picture). Water is on standard values(25/20/10).

Also, I know this has nothing to do with the subject, but where can I put maps up for download/FAF?
Attachments
How it should be(1).png
How it should be(1).png (785.18 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
How it is(1).png
How it is(1).png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1774 times
Fichom
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Fichom

Re: Unloaded under certain height

Postby ZLO_RD » 30 Mar 2014, 20:51

it is related to world borders as i beleave, if in game you go options -> interface and 1rst setting there "display world borders"
and turn it off, you should see under that black area

right now you can just zoom into it and still see what is under it, many GW maps have such problem
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 30 Mar 2014, 21:15

Here is some additional information: http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6089.

The world borders thing is probably true, but I never fiddled around with that. If the map doesn't have too much height difference (the highest and lowest point of a map never have to be apart by more than 20 units - then you can still make a map that works in terms of cliffs, hills, water etc. and it'll also still look good). So that's what I usually do: make map with intial elevation 20, the water starts at 15 and the lowest point is 10 (if I have water). The highest point goes to 30 and if I want mountains, then it'll be 40. How to quickly tone the difference in elevation down is in that link (my first reply there).

Also: if you want to upload to FAF, just go there, go to the vault and upload it, I don't know anymore... I think you can just ask in that, or it should be somewhere in the sticky posts in this subforum. Please be aware that while there are a load of different maps there, only a few of them will look really good. If you need inspiration on how to make your map good looking, you have to find these rarer maps (Try searching for "loki" or "desert planet" for example). Making a playable map is a matter of hours (and it already includes not making the height differences too extreme, that's a mistake made by almost everyone), but making a real good map will take some (a lot of) patience.

Good luck!
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Fichom » 31 Mar 2014, 14:20

Thank you both for fast and helpful respond. Oh well this is my first map, so I don't see this as some huge problem. I'm aware this map ain't anything special, I just followed the instructions on wiki but with my own preferences, so I wasn't making the map that was made in instructions. I just use this chance to learn how the editor works. Of course there is bunch of things that I need to work on, but hey, it's something!
Fichom
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Fichom

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 31 Mar 2014, 21:16

It certainly is something. It's too much to expect a very good looking map right away. While it'll take weeks to perfect something with the first map, it's better to keep making new ones in that time, then it'll be good in just a few days. Good luck :)
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Return to Mapping