Insanity Rising

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Insanity Rising

Postby IceDreamer » 13 Feb 2014, 03:26

So I'm starting this thread to be a place where I can consolidate all things regarding the map I'm working on. The objective is a 4v4 focussed 20K map specifically designed to force each player to make strategic choices at all times, and to allow all players access to all other players. Real team communication should be a necessity. Real teamwork, essential. No player is safe enough to just "Go for T3 Air", so you can kiss that goodbye. I'm trying to put real emphasis on flanking, and height differences, with this map. While the map is 20K, it was originally imagined as a 10K land-only map, but it was suggested that 4V4 on 10K maps is too crowded and affords the ACU too much power. As such, It is 20K with a surround of water, leading to an actual play area of 14K, which should be very nicely spaced.

I'm also aiming for it to look good. Really good. The heightmap is now about 40% complete, and is being done in Photoshop. I need to finalise the heights, then begin finetuning things to make it look like real terrain, not a series of raised platforms. I also plan to look seriously at including custom textures, and may even go as far as custom decals.

I am, however, at University. At my rate of work, don't expect frequent updates to this. It may never be finished to my satisfaction, and if not it won't be released. I'll only be showing stuff on here when I'm 100% happy with it. I'd guess a year to 18 months for the completion date at this rate! All I'm willing to show so far is linked below. This is the preliminary heightmap, and shows the various avenues of attack etc. The darkest portions are water.

I suppose you can also have the concept drawing, which depicts the central stage before it was surrounded with water.

IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Return to Mapping