Changing Skybox?

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Changing Skybox?

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 09 Feb 2014, 18:44

Ok, so it's ren_skydome in the game, but ren_skycube in the editor. Anyway, I do get the right one in SupCom vanilla, but not in FA.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Lionhardt » 09 Feb 2014, 19:14

Hm, I could think of one more thing, that might have been teh reason - using vanilla textures rather than FA. So I copied the FA texture folder to vanilla and chose the texture from there. But also this did not work.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Omnipotent » 16 Aug 2014, 15:31

Gonna revive this thread real quick...

So I'm getting really involved with map making atm, //my most popular being "Coastal Bridge v2" go check it out! Gyle also did an amazing cast on it (Thank you!!!)//

Anyways, I've released a map called "Fortress Ascent" and I wanted a really moody SkyCube... (SkyCube_EvStormy.dds)
Following this thread it is apparent that FA will not allow you to path a SkyCube directly from the editor. I did notice however that there are both EnvCube and SkyCube's.

I'm not sure what the difference between the two are when it comes to FA, perhaps one is used over the other. The only way to really tell is if you manage to open up a legit FA multiplayer map in vanilla editor. (Which automatically causes the editor to crash btw) So I haven't been able to do that myself...

I remember someone back in the days of good ol' GPG Net saying that it was possible if you edited the actual scmap file. Would be grateful if one savvy person would look into it.
I cannot, it looks like some weird image to text file that is unreadable.
I have maps on queue that I don't really want to release until I know the answer, for example a finished version of my "River Of Martyrdom" with a red skycube would be great.

While I'm at it, how do you update a map in the vault without having to reupload it under a new name? It's bothersome and ineffective at best. A finished version of the map editor would've been wonderful, with actual FA support...

Regards - Omni.
1 Sulphur Mounds, Sulphur Lake, and Open Combat
2 Coastal Bridge v2
3 Burner, Burner II
4 Fortress Ascent
5 Gap Of Genesis
6 Genesis VI, Genesis IV
7 Coastal Aisles
8 Hypothermia
9 The Requisite
10 New Wonder
11 New Zeta Wonder
Omnipotent
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Omnipotent

Postby BushMaster » 16 Aug 2014, 21:25

ive never bothered with sky cubes or anything like that yet, but i know for alot of things you cant link outside of the vanilla directory, so that could be why you cant link directly mabye? but if your crashing opening FA muliplayer maps it sounds like you dont have possibly nessessary FA gamedata in your vanilla directory.

as for versioning: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7344
BushMaster

Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: MooseFabricator

Postby Omnipotent » 17 Aug 2014, 00:47

Thanks for that! As for gamedata, yes everything has been copied over. I think it more or less has something to do with the new markers.

There have been many times where I've used an FA map marker, been able to open the map at least once after editing, then have it bug, and automatically close the editor.
This is why I rarely used WaterPNs, I don't have a good history with them...
2 Coastal Bridge v2
3 Burner, Burner II
4 Fortress Ascent
5 Gap Of Genesis
6 Genesis VI, Genesis IV
7 Coastal Aisles
8 Hypothermia
9 The Requisite
10 New Wonder
11 New Zeta Wonder
Omnipotent
Crusader

Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Omnipotent

Postby BushMaster » 17 Aug 2014, 05:11

aahhh yes, if i remember the editor has some issue with naval markers. like ~50% of the time it will save it incorrectly. its actually a very simple fix and only takes a few mins in notepad if you ever encounter it again or wish to recover an old file, or just wish to be able to use all the markers i can find the exact thing you need to fix if you wish. but otherwise i dont remember it off the top of my head.
BushMaster

Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: MooseFabricator

Postby Omnipotent » 17 Aug 2014, 19:17

BushMaster wrote:aahhh yes, if i remember the editor has some issue with naval markers. like ~50% of the time it will save it incorrectly. its actually a very simple fix and only takes a few mins in notepad if you ever encounter it again or wish to recover an old file, or just wish to be able to use all the markers i can find the exact thing you need to fix if you wish. but otherwise i dont remember it off the top of my head.

Thanks for the offer, I just usually import the old .scmap to a new map file. It requires me to have to re-do all the markers and stuff but it's better than nothing I guess.

I'm just hoping Duck_42 or someone figures out how to edit the SkyBox with this new map generator thing he's building. It's haunting me, every day it haunts me lol.
2 Coastal Bridge v2
3 Burner, Burner II
4 Fortress Ascent
5 Gap Of Genesis
6 Genesis VI, Genesis IV
7 Coastal Aisles
8 Hypothermia
9 The Requisite
10 New Wonder
11 New Zeta Wonder
Omnipotent