Ousai maps, feedback thread

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Ousai maps, feedback thread

Postby Sulo » 10 Jan 2014, 12:06

Over the course of last couple days I made these 3 maps and I'd love to hear some opinions about them :)
If you have ideas for improving gameplay on any of them or you found any bugs, do tell :D

1. Ousai Mountains
Current version - v3

This is my newest work, map is intended for 4v4 but might work in 3v3 as well, only spot that makes you develop in one way is the navy spot, the other three players can decide who goes air and land (or support the navy).

Main bases have only 1 hydro and 5 mass spots but there is a lot more nearby, three mass spots along with another hydro should be quite easy to protect, 3 mass spots more are also nearby but might be harder to hold (beach, platform near water and the one in 4-way crossing), you shall fight for control over the two islands that hold total 4 mass spots and the top-right corner that has 6 of them.

The terrain provides little space to expand your base, narrow passages might be troublesome for large armies and the small passes over mountains can only fit couple units making attacking the rear possible but hard to do.

There is a lot of wrecks scattered around map, mostly T1 and T2 units, but there are also couple T2 buildings, aside from that you also got rocks near your base and mass spots in the passes, plus some trees near your base.

This map might seem a bit turtle-ish but if your team dont take the fight to mid to grab mass it would be quite difficult.

2. Ousai Riverside
Current version - v1

This one is much simpler, just generic terrain divided in half by river, along with some islands and 'mountains' for cover.
Obviously intended for 3v3, might work for 2v2 but never tried it.

Most maches on this map ended quite fast due to hover tanks and arty, not much naval units

3. Ousai Lake
Current version - v1
Renamed from "Highlands Lake" after v8.

This is the first map I've made, works best in 4v4, 3v3 just lack that 'something'.

Roles are pretty much decided from the start, side players should try to take bottom and top mids while the two players in between them go navy and air, this is supported by resources layout, side players get 7 mass with eighth standing on the way to mid and 1 hydro, navy player gets 10 mass (including the 2 next to hydros) and 1 hydro, and the air player got 6 mass and 2 hydros, of course the middle players might want to split mass 8/8, might also want to both go navy and leave air for side players, it's up to you :)

The navy is very important here, if you loose the water, you will also loose control over whole mid and with some cruisers also air superiority, the navy is also able to raze two bases quite easily with the side players bases reachable only by missiles.

Water depth is a subject to change but untill that bear in mind that GC is not able to fully submerge here :)

Aside from visible at first glance islands, you can also place some units or buildings on platforms in the mountains surrounding the lake for anti-air or navy coverage.
Last edited by Sulo on 20 Jan 2014, 12:23, edited 3 times in total.
Sulo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Sulo

Re: Ousai maps, feedback thread

Postby Dragonfire » 14 Jan 2014, 13:26

Ousai Mountain please sharp some places ... you can drop units there (arty, aa) and build

Ousai Riverside is quick battle map ...
I like the little island in the mid and the riversides xD
Maybe you can move some mexes that it is harder to defend them.

Ousai Lake is very cool map ...
Maybe it is to much starting mass, move it to the front?
Attachments
s3.png
s3.png (783.35 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
s2.png
s2.png (796.77 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
s1_draft.png
s1_draft.png (683.33 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby Sulo » 14 Jan 2014, 14:38

V3 for Ousai Mountains was released, it fixes units passing trough mountains in weird places.

And I've also spread mass in Lake map a bit, looks like this now:

Sulo

Postby lextoc » 14 Jan 2014, 15:02

Ousai Riverside looks nice
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby Szakalot » 14 Jan 2014, 15:36

Maps 1 and 3 look heavily turtlish.

1. Only two land chokepoints have to be defended to lockdown any land assault, I'm not certain that 6 mexes is enough to pay off, for a whole team.

2. Seems very unfair for UEF & Cybran, without a land bridge to assault your opponent, such an open river map heavily promotes Aurora and Fobo spam.

3. There doesn't seem to be much benefit to getting the lake under your control. Maybe open up the chokepoint in front of enemy's base?
Szakalot

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Szakalot

Postby Sulo » 14 Jan 2014, 16:04

Szakalot wrote:Maps 1 and 3 look heavily turtlish.

1. Only two land chokepoints have to be defended to lockdown any land assault, I'm not certain that 6 mexes is enough to pay off, for a whole team.

You would have to go quite far in to get only 2 spots to defend, I'm thinking of adding 4 more mexes in mid, see the map.

The yellow defence lines allow for 2 spots to defend but as I said - if you can get a base that far it's over anyway.
You should try to get your bases somewhere between red and orange lines, that way you get most mexes and it's not THAT far in so enemies can still fight back.
Do not forget about the navy, UEF and Sera cruisers can make bad things happen to your forward bases, same with Aeon T3 Missile Ship.

All passages might be a bit hard to see here so I marked them in blue, 4 new mexes marked in pink (running out of colors to use :D).
What do you think about that?

Szakalot wrote:2. Seems very unfair for UEF & Cybran, without a land bridge to assault your opponent, such an open river map heavily promotes Aurora and Fobo spam.

That is mostly true, you NEED air support in form of gunships (or ghetto gunships) to defend agains T1 hover spam, later on you can switch to T2 PDs as there is no way for stealth units to cross water (except air).
UEF T2 hover tanks are scary here, Aeon Blazes cannot even hope to compete and Cybran T2 Amphibious tanks can just get out of the water right next to hostile base and that HURTS.

Szakalot wrote:3. There doesn't seem to be much benefit to getting the lake under your control. Maybe open up the chokepoint in front of enemy's base?

It's quite the opposite, if you get the lake you have access to both islands (4 mexes), you are able to bombard top and bottom mids (4 mexes and 2 hydros), you can kill two middle bases with destroyers, battleships or cruisers and on top of that with cruisers/carriers you can easily control whole air without that many ASFs.
Sulo

Postby Blodir » 14 Jan 2014, 16:14

Mountains: The pathways are waaay too thin.

Riverside: Looks pretty nice. Aeon might be a bit OP here though.

Lake: Simply rather boring. Don't see a reason why I would want to play this instead of other maps : (
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Sulo » 20 Jan 2014, 12:19

Updated Highland Lake with mass remap as indicated in post above, it was renamed to Ousai Lake and it's avalivable in the vault.

Blodir wrote:Mountains: The pathways are waaay too thin.

That is kinda the point, experimentals can still fit trough (except the small passes) so no gameplay problems there.
Sulo

Postby Dragonfire » 11 Nov 2014, 18:50

Highlands River is an old oudated/bugged version of "Ousai Riverside".

Hydro's were fixed in "Ousai Riverside" version in the vault.
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Return to Mapping