[Map] Dragon Beach

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: [Map] Dragon Beach

Postby Blodir » 14 Jan 2014, 14:00

I'd have 4 mexes next to com with 1 extra mex and a hydro close by for each player (please no double hydro for anyone, you don't want to be forcing metagame, let players decide if they want to air or not). Land players should have expanding mexes in controversial territory.
I'd move the mexes closest to the center further towards the middle of the map so t1 arty can harass them from both sides. A similar thing could be done with the bottom mexes of the main landmass, they should be easily harassed by frigates. Continuing the theme of land aggression: reclaim should also be available in the middle. Not in the form of t3 wrecks, but tons of trees, rocks and maybe t1-t2 wrecks. Maybe add even more mexes, so it truly becomes a full blown fight for the middle landmass instead of a turtlefest. I personally don't think the bottom island needs any changes. As long as frigates can easily harass those mexes aurora/zthuee spam doesn't seem like a huge problem. It'd be interesting to have a couple of underwater mexes though.

With all of these changes the map should become much more aggressive.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Dragonfire » 14 Jan 2014, 14:08

Blodir wrote:I'd have 4 mexes next to com with 1 extra mex and a hydro close by for each player (please no double hydro for anyone, you don't want to be forcing metagame, let players decide if they want to air or not). Land players should have expanding mexes in controversial territory.
I'd move the mexes closest to the center further towards the middle of the map so t1 arty can harass them from both sides. A similar thing could be done with the bottom mexes of the main landmass, they should be easily harassed by frigates. Continuing the theme of land aggression: reclaim should also be available in the middle. Not in the form of t3 wrecks, but tons of trees, rocks and maybe t1-t2 wrecks. Maybe add even more mexes, so it truly becomes a full blown fight for the middle landmass instead of a turtlefest. I personally don't think the bottom island needs any changes. As long as frigates can easily harass those mexes aurora/zthuee spam doesn't seem like a huge problem. It'd be interesting to have a couple of underwater mexes though.

With all of these changes the map should become much more aggressive.

Tthe map is aggressive already xD
atm many (specially low rank player) hate the map, because if you turtle, you lose already and you have not much mass in your base.

underwater mexes sounds interessting
wreckages and trees are already in the mid ;)
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby Blodir » 14 Jan 2014, 14:13

Yeah, I never got around to actually playing it yet so wasn't sure about the amount of reclaim, sorry :P

Tthe map is aggressive already xD
atm many (specially low rank player) hate the map, because if you turtle, you lose already and you have not much mass in your base.

Well this is coming from an above average player so we are bound to have a little varying opinions. I don't think I'm alone with wanting to have more aggressive 4v4 maps. 90% of custom games are on very ecowhore-y maps where you only need to pay attention to one thing at once. Very boring IMO.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Dragonfire » 14 Jan 2014, 14:24

Blodir wrote:Well this is coming from an above average player so we are bound to have a little varying opinions. I don't think I'm alone with wanting to have more aggressive 4v4 maps. 90% of custom games are on very ecowhore-y maps where you only need to pay attention to one thing at once. Very boring IMO.

That the point ;)
Rohan or Astro Cratar Battle are maps to turtle and eco ...
(btw. I have a third map calling Dragon Island: Astro Cratar, but with more spots/island to fight)

We had so much fun on DragonBeach.

Maybe you have also some good suggestions for the new version "Dragon River":
http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6159&start=20#p61363
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Postby Dragonfire » 24 Jan 2014, 10:55

version 2 released:

• reworked the bottom island
  • lowered the middle plattform
  • added 2 underwater mexes
  • removed one T2 cybran wreckage at the mid and added more t1/t2 wreckages
  • added decals
Attachments
dragon_beach.v0002.large.png
dragon_beach.v0002.large.png (90.75 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Postby lextoc » 24 Jan 2014, 11:07

Looks good! I'll play a game on it as soon as I get home
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby rockoe10 » 24 Jan 2014, 17:37

Awesome! Shaping up nicely. Haven't got to play any multi player games yet to test out wreckage.
ZeP: doesn't matter if it's an avatar, a trophy or a collection of dead cats
ZeP: it's the same code
rockoe10

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 17 times
FAF User Name: Rockoe10

Postby TheKoopa » 11 Nov 2014, 21:02

I just played this, very nice map.

Just a couple of things: remove some rocks that are between the ridge and bottom player and remove some reclaim from the bottom island, waaaay too many pgens.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Dragonfire » 11 Nov 2014, 21:13

My plans are:

• remove one hydro for the top player (red cross)
  • minimize reclaim (red cross)
  • add expansion plattforms (blue area)

Should I add a new entrance to the middle plattform? (yellow area)
Attachments
dragon_beach.large.png
dragon_beach.large.png (127.84 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Postby odin002 » 11 Nov 2014, 21:15

Just played one game so can't really judge well the map but it sounded like :
-too much reclaim
-too few mexes
-almost no map control (the team who gets the mid have a crazy advantage)
- make maybe some pack of 2/3 mexes together to get more map control... like 3 area of 2/3 mexes?
-more drop option

Something like that maybe ? Just random throwing ideas :
try1.png
try1.png (101.89 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

The 4 mexes packed in the top is to make drop more interesting
the mex mid are to make people having more map control, add some mexes (so reduce reclaim I guess), dunno if some islands should be added bot or useless...)

maybe open the mid thing to the bot line (like that there can be interaction between bot and top players)

EDIT : Lol, rather funny, same idea to open the mid entrance, it would be great tbh, more teamplay like that.
And yeah this expand area sounds nice, and make some mexes there (so reduce the other mexes in my screen)
odin002

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: odin002

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping