Black plane over map

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Black plane over map

Postby Z0nE » 31 Dec 2013, 19:38

I think many of you have already seen this issue on Planet 84. You can only see things that are above a certain high. Often this high is near the water level. So today I made a new map, launched it with faf and I had the same issue. I will attach the map files to the post, so you can try it yourself. Would be very nice if someone has an idea how I could fix this problem.

Thanks, Z0nE
Attachments
FireHive.zip
(850.48 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Z0nE
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Z0nE

Re: Black plane over map

Postby D4E_Omit » 31 Dec 2013, 20:11

Try turning off world borders, it'll probably work then :D

Edit : planet 84? Dont you mean 52 and 152? I myself dont have the problem on 84..
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby Z0nE » 31 Dec 2013, 20:18

How do I turn of the world borders?
Z0nE
Crusader

Postby D4E_Omit » 31 Dec 2013, 21:57

Options > Interface > Display world borders :)
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby Krapougnak » 01 Jan 2014, 09:38

Otherwise when making new maps use 70 as the minimum height.
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Postby Z0nE » 01 Jan 2014, 12:14

Sucks if everyone has to adjust his settings to make it playable :(. What did I do wrong that that happened?

Krapougnak wrote:Otherwise when making new maps use 70 as the minimum height.

Do I have to remake it if I want to change the minimum hight? tried to change it in the elevation properties but the map editor crashes.
Z0nE
Crusader

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 01 Jan 2014, 13:27

Krapougnak wrote:Otherwise when making new maps use 70 as the minimum height.

No, such a minimum height will make map making overly complicated. You always want something near 0 as minimum on your map, regardless of whether there is water on it or not.

The problem here, is that the map is way too high. Don't make such enormous cliffs. Cliffs a third of that size are more than enough and possibly still too much. It also makes it hard for planes to fly. If the highest point of the map is too high, then the lowest will just be cut off. There barely is any reason for making a map higher than 40 if the lowest point is at 0.

I've photoshopped the heightmap a bit, chaning the brightness and contrast. This way, almost all land will remain land and all markers (Mass, Hydrocarbon spots) remain on buildable areas. After you've imported the heightmap, there are two things you have to do to be sure the map is both playable and you don't get floating things.

1. Go to the markers menu, select all markers (from the list, using click and shift click to select them all there, ctrl+a will not work here), then go to one of the markers on your map and hold shift and move the marker a bit (just a little bit, because you're going to move them from the original floating spot to the ground, and there is no way to keep the coordinates exactly the same). As the marker moves, it snaps to the ground level and because you've selected every marker, they'll all nicely go to the correct height.

2. Do the same for the props. Go to the props menu, press crtl+a (this time that works) and hold ctrl to get them to snap to the ground. Hold shift to force some movement (not holding shift should allow you to move the props slowly and more precisely, but I didn't get any results that way).

Then every floaty thing is aligned to the ground again and the map is properly playable.

Oh, I like the design. :)
Attachments
heightmap copy2.zip
(346.75 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Z0nE » 01 Jan 2014, 13:37

I currently have a little project running. One map every day of the holidays. This is the third and already trhew me out of the rythm. Thank you very much :)

you can easely select the markers with the drag selector. Dont know if thats a correct name. The yellow square when you hold lmb and drag.
Z0nE
Crusader

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 01 Jan 2014, 21:13

Yes, I forgot, but there is the problem that the mouse cursor is not actually shown where it is supposed to be. It's always off by some pixels. That way you might miss one without noticing. For all other actions, you do know when you miss because you get the yellow box drag action instead of moving objects about.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Return to Mapping