Is it possible to rescale a map?

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Is it possible to rescale a map?

Postby Martin_PL » 19 Nov 2013, 17:24

I would like to make a map 30-50% bigger. Is it an easy way to do that? Is there any tool for rescaling maps?
Martin_PL

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Martin_PL

Re: Is it possible to rescale a map?

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 20 Nov 2013, 21:37

It's only possible to do this with the heightmap and the textures. Export the .raw files, then you can scale them in the appropriate program (I use photoshop, but I thought that GIMP could do this as well).

Import them in a new larger map (for a 50% map increase you have to take a new map that is 100% larger in both dimensions) and then is a job of putting in the markers (mass spots and players spawn points). This has to be done manually.

Next, you have to put the props and decals. You can most easily do this by selecting them all in the old map, copying them and pasting the in the new map (hopefully the center in the old prop layout becomes the center in the new map layout). You can't do this with numbers, but you have to scale the props to get that 50% increase. Find a prop at the edge of the old map, at a noticable point and use this as reference for the new map.

The method is exactly the same for the decals, but you'll have to be extra careful with choosing decal as reference point to be certain of a proper scaling. Decals are not required to get the map the same in gameplay but they are necessary to make a map look good, especially if the map is a large version of another map.

Finally, add borders to get rid of the unused space (we have unused space on all sides of the playable map). The border tutorial is part of the map making tutorial one the SupCom wikia.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Return to Mapping