Sense and Purpose of outlying Hydros

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Sense and Purpose of outlying Hydros

Postby Lionhardt » 20 Sep 2013, 01:34

II would like to hear your opinion about outlying hydros. Outlying hydros are a thing found mainly on custom maps. In most cases these hydros get few to no attention, because hydros appear to be only relevant if you can reach them in a few second from your spawn, as their economic benefits from low cost/ power production get irrelevant quickly as the game progresses and you are better of building t1 p-gens. Mappers (including myself) though are apparently often tempted to put hdydros at strategic key positions (or to artificially make random positions strategically valuable with them), because they have that important feel to them. You get a large singular icon on the map. If you know how they are treated ingame later, they look rather misplaced though, as nobody cares about outlying hydros, as they are just not worth the effort.

I'd still like to hear other's opinion on outlying hydros though, and if the non-existence of such maybe even gives the map a better feel to it, because having assets on the map that imply being worth to be fought over, but effectively are not, give kind of a bad feel to the map in this respect.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Re: Sense and Purpose of outlying Hydros

Postby Hawkei » 11 Oct 2013, 07:24

It is a low priority capture target. It is more effective than T1 pgens, on a cost basis. So caupturing them, even at 20 minutes game time, gives a nice power boost for getting ACU upgrades or spamming air. If it is present at a mex cluster I will cap it after I have captured the mexes. I will not be too concerned if I loose it. If there are no mexes at that location, I will not go out of my way to cap it.

From an installation of 4 mexes and 1 hydro, I could operate 2 land factories and 1 radar. Which has a total power cost of 100 units. The hydro means I don't need any additional T1 pgens to operate that outpost. I don't like to spam power. I try to play a lean power game until the T2 phase, according to the following ratios:
- Lfac = 2 pgen;
- Afac = 5 pgen;
- Radar = 1 pgen.

Whenever I build these structures, I always build the required pgens adjacent to them. That way, I ensure that I have the right number of pgens. If there is a hydro, then I don't build the pgens.

Outlying hydro is more important in pro level play. It becomes redundant at the T2 pgen phase (but I still build them by habit more than necessity). If it's there, I cap it. :)
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby pip » 11 Oct 2013, 09:31

Imo, the outlying hydro spots could be better used on maps, for instance with places where 2 hydro are next to each other and can be great for adjacency with a factory or a shield to protect nearby mexes.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby ColonelSheppard » 11 Oct 2013, 09:53

Outlying hydros must be seen as an optiotional advantage, if you cant take one, you can use it for support airfactory with engys, or on blasted, when you got both, you might have enough energy to rush out a gun in one minute without losing much map
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Nombringer » 16 Oct 2013, 02:41

I think blasted is a map with a good example of outlying hydro's that are used effectively.

You can rush them, ignore them, use them for gun, T2, air, or just minimal power in a land spam.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Return to Mapping