Regor VI Highlands

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Debut-Map WIP

Postby Lionhardt » 05 Feb 2014, 23:25

So I went ahead and added the two extra spawn points just to see how it looks and feels. you can see the No Rush zones:
Attachments
overview NR zones.jpg
overview NR zones.jpg (186.16 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Mad`Mozart » 05 Feb 2014, 23:35

Gotta say i already love your map just looking at the preview.
Can't wait to play some 1v1 games there :)
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 05 Feb 2014, 23:46

I've taken a look at how the earlier (first two pages) maps looked like and these second spots may work very well. There is one problem. The left and right player have easier access to mexes than the upper and lower player. That is not just for the NR timers (6 mexes, for which the extra reclaim and Hydro make up pretty well I think), but for the general gameplay.

I'm looking at a Left+Upper vs Right+Lower scenario here, mostly because of the small lake in between the Left and the Lower player, that separates the two, allowing for a battlefield in the middle in between the four players more, than if you were to put Left+Lower vs Right+Upper.

If you look at the multiple spots, the spot of three is a bit closer to the left player than to the lower player (The distance is almost the same but there is water to cross for the lower player, which would limit him to Aeon for full access - you also don't want to remove the water) and the Hydro + 2mex certainly is closer. Lastly, the spot of three in the mountain range is contested by air, but I think that the left player has easier access to that as well.
At the moment, the Left player has easy access to 5 mex spots in the contested area, while the Lower only has access to 1 (I'm not counting the two at the border of the allied players or the one on the mountain Left or the one on the bottom of the map because these are not contested at all, and also not the three between the mountains because these equally hard for both players to get). A better balance (with stil a difference) would be 3 against 2 and one truly in the middle.

All in all, there is a good point letting one player have an advantage in a 2v2, but in this case, there is a glaring imbalance. I would recommend moving some mass spots so that the Lower player has less of a disadvantage than now. Of course, it's going to be really annoying because the aestetical part of the mex placement is absolutely perfect (for the ones in the field and the Left and Right player, the ones for the Lower and Upper player starting location might need some more texturing).

My recommendation would be to remove one of the spots of the three and add that to the one spot just above the rush circle of the Lower player. Additionally, remove one of the spots of the Two+Hydro and put that one more in the middle (the true middle) of the map.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Lionhardt » 06 Feb 2014, 00:08

Thank you for your detailed feedback. But see? That is exactly why I did not want to make the 2v2-capability. It makes for a half-assed 2v2. I also do not want to change the mex layout as it would alter the way 1v1s play. The result would be a little better 2v2 and worse 1v1. I do not want to make this compromise, as this was from the beginning on intended as a 1v1 map. Weakening its 1v1 capability to make it more suited for what was just an afterthought (2v2) does not sound good to me.

Aside from that the teams as a whole are balanced no matter what. If one of the players has a disadvantage against his direct opponent - well it's a 2v2 - your mate should help you out. In fact, in principle I prefer scenarios such as these, as it gives teams an advantage that actually play together in a synergistic fashion, rather than just playing 2 parallel 1v1s. I do understand though, that you say the imbalance is to big and would cause the 2v2 to tip over to quickly, as 2 of the 4 players would most likely collapse very quickly under the pressure of their direct opponents advantage. And I agree on that - but only because people tend to not play in a truly cooperative fashion. Well, I guess this map layout makes for a challenge in terms of team play then. And if it does not play well in 2v2, so be it. As long as the 1v1 capability is as good as it can be, everything is fine.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 06 Feb 2014, 10:46

In that case, I'd recommend removing the two other spawn points. Regardless of how you put it, if you can only make the map really good for 1v1 or 2v2, and have the other of the two a bit crappy, then it's best to have it good for 1v1 and no 2v2 option. The map is (as you pretty much said yourself) too good looking for a weak option.

I agree with you on having a weaker and a stronger player in terms of starting positions to make a bit of interesting team play, but it's a tad too much here :)
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Reddev32 » 06 Feb 2014, 15:32

Plasma_Wolf wrote:In that case, I'd recommend removing the two other spawn points. Regardless of how you put it, if you can only make the map really good for 1v1 or 2v2, and have the other of the two a bit crappy, then it's best to have it good for 1v1 and no 2v2 option. The map is (as you pretty much said yourself) too good looking for a weak option.

I agree with you on having a weaker and a stronger player in terms of starting positions to make a bit of interesting team play, but it's a tad too much here :)

Yo Plasma long time no see,

Ive played the map 1v1 its very good but the map itself and how its all done its perfect for 2v2 without any changes been made to it baring this in mind im not really the best 1v1 player or map tester either but its good and i do like how its played.

Lion when i tested it is this 2 separate maps for 1v1 & 2v2?
Reddev32 ~ Reddev GPGnet ~ Obliterating Wave ~ GPGnet ~ SC-Vanilla ~ FA ~ Supcom 2

GPGnet Vault
Reddev32
Priest

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Reddev32

Postby Lionhardt » 06 Feb 2014, 15:36

Well, it is the newer version. We played a version that is a already a few days worth of changes old. This version has less reclaim and a few visual improvements. But apart from that it's the exact same map.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 08 Feb 2014, 19:04

Quick update on what i am doing atm:

- Still fiddling with the decals to get rid of the horrible glitches. Really time consuming because I have to delete them one by one and rearrange the remaining ones to more efficiently cover the same area and give the same amount of prettiness. The glitches should stop once a certain number of max. decals displayed the the same tiem is reached... Hope I will get to that number soon.

- Trying to get the skybox working. Would be glad if somebody could help me out here. Whatever skybox I select, ingame it stays the default one.

- Fixing last flying props.

- I have not removed the 2 extra spawns yet. I would really appreciate it of some more people could help and share their views on whether they would like the 2 extra spawns or not.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 23 Feb 2014, 05:57

Gladly I can tell you that the map is now finally released and available in the vault!

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Dragonfire » 23 Feb 2014, 06:48

Maybe you can rename the thread to:
Regor VI Highlands (mapname)
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping