Regor VI Highlands

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Debut-Map WIP

Postby Nombringer » 01 Feb 2014, 08:12

I completely agree Lion, its a shame that this happened :(
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby lextoc » 01 Feb 2014, 11:35

It's a shame you didn't finish it yet :(

PS: I want to play the goddamn map
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby Lionhardt » 01 Feb 2014, 15:49

Well, you can now, can't you...?^^ Actually I would like that WIP version of the map that is available in the vault to not get too much attention though - to keep the damage minimal. But maybe some of you guys reading this thread and thus are aware of the fact that this is WIP want to do some playtesting and report on possible gameplay issues. This way the map stays amongst people who know whats up with it and does not spread further. I myself am too bad of a player to be a good partner for a playtest though - just pointing this out there..^^
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Lionhardt » 01 Feb 2014, 17:34

You know what. It gets even worse. It appears the person who uploaded the map even fiddled with the lighting. It is siginificantly different on the version I uploaded and the one in the vault. If I was not mad before NOW I am! What the hell is wrong with that person?! maybe he did not like the aggressive tint of the light. But it was intended this way, If he had read the description of the map he would understand. Citing my description: "its colonization has been attempted, sustaining any non-indigenous life and thus a human population has proven to be impractical, due to the high portion of short waved radiation emitted by Regor VI's host star, a blue giant. The daylight is cold and glaring with a violet tint to it, straining the human eye."

- He messily rotated the decals (on the version I uploaded here in the forum there are mostly only decals on one side of the map)
- He changed the ingame name of the map to the internal one
- he changed the lighting

I request this version of he map taken down. Unbalanced versions of Thermo were taken down too, so this should be possible. If some people want to do a playtest with the vault version, which would greatly help, it would be nice, if the map could be taken down afterwards, as the gameplay should be the same on the version in the vault and my actual version.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Nombringer » 02 Feb 2014, 01:47

I completely agree, I'm holding off from playing myself to avoid a sour taste in the mouth
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby Lionhardt » 02 Feb 2014, 02:06

I'm glad you understand.

Thanks to the help of Reddev32 I could do a playtest with the non-vault version. Reddev confirmed my suspicion that there might be too much reclaim on the map. So I will take reducing reclaim (especially large boulders) on my to-do-list.

Also, I noticed the person who uploaded the map managed to actually rename the files, and thereby eliminate the typo that I had originally put in the file name. This is kinda cool, as I did not manage to do this. I would really like to know how you can rename the files without corrupting the whole thing. Could somebody tell me? Then I could finally rename the map to its current ingame name.

As an side: It surprises me the person actually did not rename the files to the ingame name of the map but rather changed the ingame name to make it fit the changed file name... :?: Anyway, I am glad this is the case. This way I can do a clear launch of the map with its intended title once it's done, without people confusing the two versions.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 02 Feb 2014, 11:17

All you have to do is rename every relevant file, the parent folder and the name references in the scenario.lua file.

So if I would want to make a new version of Point of Reach, all the v4 bits have to be renamed v5. Be careful not to miss a single file or accidentally remove another line of code because if you do, it will obviously go wrong. There are 8 name changes to be done in the scenario.lua file, 4 name changes of the file (.scmap, scenario.lua, save.lua, script.lua) and then there is the parent folder. All names to be changed are present in the image.

Always double check this changing, because I often had to go back to the scenario.lua file because I forgot something or made a typo. If you have notepad ++, use that, you can easily see where your old name is, in the file and quickly replace all occurrences with the replace functions, without having to worry you accidentally also remove a _scenario.lua bit of text or something like that.
Attachments
Map Renaming.png
Map Renaming.png (264.86 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Lionhardt » 02 Feb 2014, 13:22

Thanks a dozen!

Though I only found 7 cases iny my scenario.lua. Is there something missing?

Code: Select all
version = 3
ScenarioInfo = {
    name = 'Regor VI Highlands',
    description = "<LOC regor_vi_highlands_v1_Description>\n\nRegor VI is a rocky planet located in the habitable zone of its host star Regor. While life can be found on Regor VI, and its colonization has been attempted, sustaining any non-indigenous life and thus a human population has proven to be impractical, due to the high portion of short waved radiation emitted by Regor VI's host star, a blue giant. The daylight is cold and glaring with a violet tint to it, straining the human eye. Today only a sparse population of former colonists remains. Contrary to its unsuitedness as a colony planet, it has been of some strategic interests during past conflicts and a handful of minor skirmishes have been fought over it. (MAP BY LIONHARDT)\n",
    type = 'skirmish',
    starts = true,
    preview = '',
    size = {512, 512},
    map = '/maps/regor_vi_highlands_v1/regor_vi_highlands_v1.scmap',
    save = '/maps/regor_vi_highlands_v1/regor_vi_highlands_v1_save.lua',
    script = '/maps/regor_vi_highlands_v1/regor_vi_highlands_v1_script.lua',
    norushradius = 78.000000,
    norushoffsetX_ARMY_1 = 0.000000,
    norushoffsetY_ARMY_1 = 0.000000,
    norushoffsetX_ARMY_2 = 0.000000,
    norushoffsetY_ARMY_2 = 1.000000,
    Configurations = {
        ['standard'] = {
            teams = {
                { name = 'FFA', armies = {'ARMY_1','ARMY_2',} },
            },
            customprops = {
                ['ExtraArmies'] = STRING( 'ARMY_9 NEUTRAL_CIVILIAN' ),
            },
        },
    }}

Edit: I got now that you were refering to the actual inagme name of the map itself with the 8th entry.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 05 Feb 2014, 04:48

Actually I said I would not continue working on the map until in three weeks or so, but today I found some time. So I adjusted the AI markers according to Plasma_Wolf's feedback. Here is what I got. And yes, those air paths are all adjsted manually until perfectly aligned. And also yes, doing so friggn sucked. Not goaan do that for the other ones though, as that would be much harder.

Also, I am glad the vault version has now been removed thanks to Zep.
Attachments
land paths mesh.jpg
land paths mesh.jpg (118.99 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
amph paths mesh.jpg
amph paths mesh.jpg (131.64 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
air paths mesh.jpg
air paths mesh.jpg (281.87 KiB) Viewed 3342 times

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby Lionhardt » 05 Feb 2014, 16:16

Observing the AI a little I now realized it uses the paths markers as actual waypoints for its units. I thus figured making the mesh a little finer in certain areas might be good.

I also added one the missing link in the ir paths mesh that you can see on the above screenshot.

Also, somebody suggested to me I might want to add 2 additional spawn points where the 4-mex clusters are, to make it 2v2-capable. I am not so sure about that. I would rather have a solid 1v1 map than a half-baked 2v2 map that gets mostly played in 1v1 anyway. I think of Forbidden Pass as an example of such a map. I rarely see it played 2v2 as it is quite obviously designed as a 1v1 map with 2v2-capability as an afterthought. What do you think?
Attachments
amph paths mesh 2.jpg
amph paths mesh 2.jpg (178.62 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
land paths mesh 2.jpg
land paths mesh 2.jpg (140.2 KiB) Viewed 3327 times

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor