"Metal map"

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

"Metal map"

Postby CopyyyCattt » 16 Aug 2013, 18:14

Any chance anyone can write a script that allows players to build on mass spots and removes any visual markers that a mass spot is placed on the terrain? Is there maybe another way to make "metal maps" in FA?
CopyyyCattt

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: CopyyyCattt

Re: "Metal map"

Postby Zock » 16 Aug 2013, 18:47

Crazyrush
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby CopyyyCattt » 16 Aug 2013, 21:17

It's a nice idea but it is not like a metal map cause you cant make mexes anywhere you want. you are bound to existing mex location.
In some metal maps it was important where and how you placed your mexes.
CopyyyCattt

Postby The Mak » 16 Aug 2013, 21:28

Metal Maps

A mod that removes the build restrictions of the mass extractors, so you can place them anywhere. Perhaps you can use a custom map script to perform just this.
The Mak
Contributor

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: The_Mak

Postby johnie102 » 16 Aug 2013, 21:46

The Mak wrote:Metal Maps

A mod that removes the build restrictions of the mass extractors, so you can place them anywhere. Perhaps you can use a custom map script to perform just this.

This is in the same vein as making buildings buildable under water. You can't include it in the map itself, because it edits the blueprint of the unit (I guess, I haven't looked at this mod in particular) and blueprints are already loaded when the map starts loaded.
So I guess this is not possible without always activating the mod when playing the map.
johnie102

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: johnie102

Postby CopyyyCattt » 17 Aug 2013, 03:49

fail.
CopyyyCattt

Postby The Mak » 17 Aug 2013, 21:20

Hmm, have you ever wondered how they added a Monkey Lord with no Laser to the Survival Escape Maps, or a Seraphim Battleship with a high hitpoint regeneration to the Survival Attack map.

The code can be found here:
Survival Escape v3ga, line 989 of Survival_Escape_v3ga_script.lua (may be different in previous versions but look for the section Survival_SpawnDef = function() )

Survival Attack, line 1108 of survivalattack_script.lua

Now those deal with spawning a unit and buffing or removing traits. What if you can do these changes to all of those types of units using scripts. Not saying it is going to be easy. After all GPG used custom blueprints for the campaign, because it was easier than creating custom unit scripts for each map.

You have almost all the pieces there in the map scrip (customize a unit and spawn a unit) now you just need to create the ability to apply that to all units before they are made. Like I said, not going to be easy.

Has anyone tried running a modblueprint function from a map script? Why must a modblueprint function run before a map script?
The Mak
Contributor

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: The_Mak

Postby johnie102 » 19 Aug 2013, 17:30

The Mak wrote:Has anyone tried running a modblueprint function from a map script? Why must a modblueprint function run before a map script?

Because Blueprints are loaded before the map starts loading. There probably is a way to reload all the blueprints in the map script, but I really don't know where this function is (I couldn't find it) and I don't know if there are side effects of reloading everything.

What is more likelely to work (altough I still wouldn't know how) is simply copying the blueprint to a new unit and changing a few things and loading that unit extra with the build restrictions set on the original unit.
johnie102

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: johnie102

Return to Mapping