random map generator

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: random map generator

Postby Golol » 06 Apr 2013, 18:06

the random map editor could be REALLY interesting in gw because it wouldnt really feel like fighting on a battlefield on a planet when you are in a map you already know but like you are fighting in an arena
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Blakbewwy » 28 May 2013, 11:29

This would be great, I doubt it would be too difficult to accomplish for an experienced programmer. Someone do this!
Blakbewwy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Blakbewwy

Postby Hawkei » 19 Jul 2013, 08:36

Actually, the parameters would be incredibly difficult. Because there is a good deal of creativity and game insight that goes into inventing a map. It is likely that the program would generate very similar and often stupid maps to play on. The texturing and deals would also be problematic. Map makers will generally range test things and design cliffs and terrain exactly so. Because they first have in mind the kinds of tactics which will be used on their maps.

The height map generator would need to reduce the terrain style down to a fractal algorithum, which would be able to reproduce "real" looking terrain (that is the hard part). One sollution would be to create a highly detailed 81x81 map for each titleset. Then generate a 20x20 map by cropping this map down to the requisite size. Or alternatively, you would need a height map library. Texturing and decals would need to be stytlised, with fractal mathematics.

Starting marker locations would need to be generated, and mex/hydro markers using a series of relative distance templates. With the same template being adopted for each player. The map could also generate a fair distribution of expansion mex sites. It is very likely that all the maps generated would need perfect symmetry for exact balance. However, these advantages would be mitigated by both players having no map knowledge... The generator would need to ensure that mex sites are not placed on unbuildable terrain, and that pathing and access are equivalent. Because these random errors would really spoil a match.

In short. Creating a random map generator is about 100 times more difficult then just making the maps in the first place.

However, I have often wondered what a tornament might be like if it featured entierly new maps. With the participants having no contact with the map makers, and launching the game without the ability to study the map beforehand. :D
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby CopyyyCattt » 21 Jul 2013, 07:18

Ze_PilOt wrote:We will see if the random planets of PA are interesting :)

They won't be.
I dont know what kind of map generator would be able to carefully place spots in interesting balanced and novel ways.
CopyyyCattt

FAF User Name: CopyyyCattt

Postby Golol » 28 Jul 2013, 09:01

i really liked the idea that you would spawn on an undiscovered map and you wouldnt even know its size. gameplay would be changed. youd propably start with air fac.
i think now we just have to hope for a really experienced coder with time at his hands
Golol
Contributor

Postby CopyyyCattt » 28 Jul 2013, 09:05

With random maps you'd have to focus more on thinking about basic positioning, examining chockpoints etc.. as oppose to more advanced plays like on maps both opponents are familiar with.
CopyyyCattt

FAF User Name: CopyyyCattt

Postby Myxir » 28 Jul 2013, 09:54

Golol wrote:i really liked the idea that you would spawn on an undiscovered map and you wouldnt even know its size. gameplay would be changed. youd propably start with air fac.
i think now we just have to hope for a really experienced coder with time at his hands

if i remember correctly, this was possible in vanilla
you spawn on a map and everything your units can't see is blacked out until you discover it, from then on the landscape is known but the fog of war (what we use for all games) still remains

maybe there is a way to add this to FA, not sure tho
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby Hawkei » 28 Jul 2013, 16:04

Golol wrote:i really liked the idea that you would spawn on an undiscovered map and you wouldnt even know its size. gameplay would be changed. youd propably start with air fac.
You seem somewhat keen on the idea. Why don't you learn how to code? :P
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby ColonelSheppard » 28 Jul 2013, 17:14

adding the, undiscovered i think it was called from original supcom shouldnt be a that big deal

it is also not a big deal to make a map with some symetric random elevations and reclaim and mexes, the problem is to make them look good

that means you would need some kind of modular system from which the maps are composed otherwise would have hard times creating a nice textured map and that is so much work without garantuee that it looks good in the end

but i mean if somebody thinks he can do that he might try (yes i know nobody will)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Golol » 28 Jul 2013, 18:46

well if the map looks bad its not a problem.
and i know about the undiscovered thing. the fact is that it doesnt do anything when everyone knows the map from every piexe of reclaim to the exact position of mexes anyways.
if the map generator simply generates maps that basically only have a single texture and are completly random - thats enough.
if a few people sit down for a while hundrets of maps could be generated and from time to time there will be a worthy one that is can possibly make it into the ranked rotation.
everyone can be a mapper just by pressing "generate random map"until you find a good one.
and if a map is good and played then there will be properly textured ones (look at the different versions of maps like fields of isis)
the community will be flooded with new maps.
Golol
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping