possible explanation why big maps are rarely played

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: possible explanation why big maps are rarely played

Postby Hawkei » 13 Jul 2013, 21:59

CopyyyCattt wrote:so you are saying that on these gigantic maps a few niche strategies rule and the game was mostly designed in a way that does not allow players to utilize most of the arsenal on these maps(the arsenal was balanced to be utilized fully on small to medium maps).

I agree completely.

Actually, no. There aren't any particular units that you can't use. It is just that some units become more useful. Also, the strategic depth increases, it doesn't decrease. Afterall, if you're facing T1 raiding spam from a spam base. You will probably want T2 or T3 units to defend against it. If you're facing teleport attacks, you will probably want an defending T4, or PD. Or when the opponent spends raiding naval forces, you will still want Destroyers and Battleships to deal with them.

Teleports and engineer drops are simply the means of getting the build power a little closer to your opponent, but the units you spam will still be the conventional units. More than anything else, the distance just throws the game wide open.

Just as there are many units that become useful on larger maps, there are also many units that are usless on small ones. When was the last time you saw a Paragon on Blasted Rock?
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Lionhardt » 27 Aug 2013, 02:40

You know why people don’t play the really large maps? Because there is no tactical diversity. It always wins the guy with the most ASF that then drops a few strats/t3 gunships/Ahwassas/CZARs on your head... Investing in early aggression is not valuable because it takes to long for it to have an effect and gets you behind in the eco game. By the time your early aggression is in the position (special) to do something your opponent has already out-ecoed you considerably and with his better eco fends off your low tech( low eco attack single handedly and then wipes you off the map because of his eco advantage. It's always the same and thus boring. Ecoing hared, teching up and then spamming t3 air + some t4 is pretty much the only way to go. Air spam dominates every other tactical approach and renders it useless.

This is pretty sad though... big maps had so much potential for truely epic games if it wasnt for the air spam.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby FireMessiah » 27 Aug 2013, 04:14

Lionhardt wrote:This is pretty sad though... big maps had so much potential for truely epic games if it wasnt for the air spam.

then turn Air off in the lobby settings when you host games. problem solved.
Ze_PilOt wrote:I know we live in a era when everything is done considering that the user is a total moron or retarded.
I find that insulting when a game is stating me the obvious ("press X to open the door" the 20th time I see a door).
hallelujah, amen.
FireMessiah

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: FireMessiah

Postby vongratz » 27 Aug 2013, 06:28

Months ago I saw a replay very epic.
Eight guys without T3 or up, fighting with strategy and tactics that were very interesting in a World Domination map.
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Nombringer » 27 Aug 2013, 06:48

Iv'e played quite a few with brainwashed recently, I have to say most of the reason here are misconceptions.

Tactical diversity increases dramatically, however you simple must accept that some units have different roles, and sim speed between us was mostly fine.

HOWEVER, the unit lag is what really kills it on the 81x. It's MOSTLY okay on the 40x, but we were playing 1v1, so most likely, you would encounter it if you played these maps on a team game.

That and 1v1 on these is VERY tiring.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby Lionhardt » 27 Aug 2013, 13:11

@ vongratz, Nombringer: I'd really like to see a replay of those games. I cannot imagine t3 air spam not to be the most valuable option in any 80k game.

FireMessiah wrote:
Lionhardt wrote:This is pretty sad though... big maps had so much potential for truely epic games if it wasnt for the air spam.

then turn Air off in the lobby settings when you host games. problem solved.

Would you want to play without air transports on a 80k map? I wouldn't... Transports themselves bear the most potential for making great situations happen anyway... for example massive drops.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt