Map Editor FAQ

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Map Editor FAQ

Postby biass » 07 Jun 2016, 05:37

You can use the steam version just fine for mapping, i use it :)

Im not sure if if needs any special workarounds but ill check for you when i get home anyway, else check the wiki link about map editor
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Morax » 15 Jun 2016, 22:41

biass, I kind of want to make a map but I'm lacking the time to do a lot of the leg-work. Would you be interested in taking a concept with explanations and attempting to design it? I have an idea for a map that will combine open gameplay of Sentons/Wonder with the complexity of Regor VI Highlands.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 16 Jun 2016, 00:11

Morax wrote:biass, I kind of want to make a map but I'm lacking the time to do a lot of the leg-work. Would you be interested in taking a concept with explanations and attempting to design it? I have an idea for a map that will combine open gameplay of Sentons/Wonder with the complexity of Regor VI Highlands.

Hey, yeah sure i can find an hour or two to make one up, if you would like; just not sure how useful it would become with the whole vault being down and us not being able to contribute is all. :oops:
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Evan_ » 09 Jun 2017, 23:01

I'm still a bit confused on how to include custom textures. I've converted a .png into a .dds but how do I convert a .dds into a .scd?
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby ImpGaming » 13 Jun 2017, 03:53

I have questions about the installation process. It says "Copy files from bin folder to your bin folder with Supreme Commander installation (!!NOT Forged Alliance!!), usually:
C:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander\bin" What is that asking me? And where should I search for it at? The Same with "and files from gamedata folder to
C:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander\gamedata"
Thank you!
ImpGaming

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ImpGaming

Postby RocketRooster » 13 Jun 2017, 05:43

Isn't an scd file just a zip file with a different extension?
RocketRooster

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Postby KeyBlue » 13 Jun 2017, 11:15

ImpGaming wrote:I have questions about the installation process. It says "Copy files from bin folder to your bin folder with Supreme Commander installation (!!NOT Forged Alliance!!), usually:
C:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander\bin" What is that asking me? And where should I search for it at? The Same with "and files from gamedata folder to
C:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander\gamedata"
Thank you!

Did you read this part?
You need Supreme Commander for making maps, Map Editor is not working just with Forged Alliance.
First of all you download editor from here. This file contains everything you will need for making maps.
Extract files from the downloaded .rar file using WinRar or 7-zip.

Well you do what this says to do. click on the links here : http://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?tit ... ting_Tools
(you need to download the editor by clicking on the "here" link)

Then you should have a folder with a gamedata folder and a bin folder inside of it.
Then you copy the contents in the bin to your installation bin and copy the contents of gamedata to your installation gamedata.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby Morax » 13 Jun 2017, 14:42

To be fair, it's really weird to need the first game when the expansion is stand alone. He's not the only one where that written passage goes over his head. It fooled me and many others.

Because it's a pre alpha editor and no longer supported you need to work like 3 times harder to get anything going.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby ImpGaming » 18 Jun 2017, 21:44

I have both games on disk, and when I try to run the editor now it says that this one thing is missing, I'm sorry I can't specify, even though I can see it in the /bin
ImpGaming

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ImpGaming

Postby watermelon » 10 Aug 2017, 17:10

I updated the Map Editing Tools page the make the installation process easier to understand.
watermelon

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: watermelon

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping