Map Editor FAQ

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Map Editor FAQ

Postby Sulo » 20 Jan 2014, 12:30

Combo wrote:How do you reduce the brightness of a map?

When you right click on Supcom Map Editor.exe (official) and then properties->digital signatures which version do you have?
My timestamp is ‎18 ‎December ‎2007 18:46:23. This version does not work (0xc0000142 error) but I had another version which did.

In official editor you have "Lightning" menu, there you can change everything from direction to color and intensity of light.

My editor version is the same as you just said, and it works without any problems.
You only have to patch vanilla SC to newest version (1.1.3280).
Sulo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Sulo

Postby Combo » 20 Jan 2014, 13:44

Thanks Sulo. I'm using the steam version of SupCom (vanilla, should be auto-patched) and placed the Supcom Map Editor.exe in the /bin directory but just won't work.

Edit: Actually even the supremecommander.exe produces the same error as the editor ("The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142").
Combo

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: theCombo

Postby Sulo » 20 Jan 2014, 15:35

Combo wrote:Thanks Sulo. I'm using the steam version of SupCom (vanilla, should be auto-patched) and placed the Supcom Map Editor.exe in the /bin directory but just won't work.

Edit: Actually even the supremecommander.exe produces the same error as the editor ("The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142").

Sounds like you got some nasty stuff on your HDD, for the most part this error is shown if file required to launch this .exe is missing, might be caused either by manual delete of random files, cleaning software and/or viruses.
This might also be caused if some software is hogging said file to itself.

Try "sfc /scannow" in elevated command prompt, might also try chkdsk.
And of course - full scans with various antivirus software.

If you google error you posted you should get a lot more information on it.
Sulo

Postby Dragonfire » 20 Jan 2014, 20:15

Combo wrote:Thanks Sulo. I'm using the steam version of SupCom (vanilla, should be auto-patched) and placed the Supcom Map Editor.exe in the /bin directory but just won't work.

Try to start the editor with admin privileges ;)
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby Striker37 » 21 Jan 2014, 18:58

I need help. I can't get my official editor to work. It starts, but then when I try to load a scenario, it says "Supreme Commander Editor Application has stopped working... Windows is searching for a solution to the problem", which of course it never finds.

I have the Steam version of Supreme Commander and SC: FA, and yes, the editor is in the vanilla SC /bin folder. Running windows 7.

Also, another issue. There were some maps I downloaded off of websites that weren't showing up in skirmish. I opened the scenario.lua file in notepad, and noticed it was missing the "type = skirmish" line. I added it, and the maps showed up, but when I tried to play on them, the game starts and the Commanders won't drop in. It just says "game over". I've poured over every line of code in the scenario, script and save files to no avail. What is missing?

One more thing. How come so many downloaded maps in SC:FA say something like (MAIN MENU 000000091) after their names when picking them in Skirmish? It's really annoying, and idk how to get rid of it. It's not in the "name" field in the scenario.lua file.
Striker37

FAF User Name: Striker37

Postby Dragonfire » 21 Jan 2014, 20:09

Striker37 wrote:I need help. I can't get my official editor to work. It starts, but then when I try to load a scenario, it says "Supreme Commander Editor Application has stopped working... Windows is searching for a solution to the problem", which of course it never finds.

I have the Steam version of Supreme Commander and SC: FA, and yes, the editor is in the vanilla SC /bin folder. Running windows 7.

Also, another issue. There were some maps I downloaded off of websites that weren't showing up in skirmish. I opened the scenario.lua file in notepad, and noticed it was missing the "type = skirmish" line. I added it, and the maps showed up, but when I tried to play on them, the game starts and the Commanders won't drop in. It just says "game over". I've poured over every line of code in the scenario, script and save files to no avail. What is missing?

One more thing. How come so many downloaded maps in SC:FA say something like (MAIN MENU 000000091) after their names when picking them in Skirmish? It's really annoying, and idk how to get rid of it. It's not in the "name" field in the scenario.lua file.

Copy the map into the vanilla map folder and open it from these location.

all maps without MAIN MENU use a wrong version system ... it is not annoying, it is important for versioning (map_version tag).
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Postby Striker37 » 21 Jan 2014, 20:45

Thanks, I'll try that.

I meant it was annoying having the huge "Main Menu" string of letters clogging up the map selection screen. I guess I'll just live with it.

Any idea on why the commanders won't spawn on certain user-made maps? The markers are there when I go to select it.
Striker37

Postby Dragonfire » 21 Jan 2014, 21:14

Striker37 wrote:Thanks, I'll try that.

I meant it was annoying having the huge "Main Menu" string of letters clogging up the map selection screen. I guess I'll just live with it.

Any idea on why the commanders won't spawn on certain user-made maps? The markers are there when I go to select it.

http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/MapEditTutorial_Lesson_3
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Postby Sulo » 22 Jan 2014, 20:41

If commanders do not gate in then either there is no Area defined or it's not defined as playable in script file.
Sulo

Postby Striker37 » 23 Jan 2014, 20:46

Sulo wrote:If commanders do not gate in then either there is no Area defined or it's not defined as playable in script file.

I still can't get the editor to work, so the "how to make it playable" section doesn't really help me.

These are maps that were made by other people, and they show up in the Skirmish selection screen fine, and there are markers on the minimap that show where the commanders are supposed to spawn. But when you start the game, they don't gate in.

Is there a line of code that I could add to one of the files to make them work? I looked at the .script and .scenario files for maps that DO work, and I can't see any real differences. What code defines an Area, exactly? I can post what the code says if that'll help.

Thanks so much for helping me. I have a ton of maps I can't get to work.
Striker37

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping