Map Editor FAQ

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Map Editor FAQ

Postby Prince__ » 11 Feb 2013, 22:08

Plasma_Wolf wrote:
first of all where to download it?

http://viking.gurut.org/Map_Editors/, now that GPGNet is offline and you can't download it from there. Under normal circumstances, just downloading the exe should be enough.

where to install it

When installling Supreme Commander, it will create the following path in the location you selected: "...\Supreme Commander\Supreme Commander\bin" This is where it has to go. Be careful. When installing SupCom FA, you will get something like this: "...\Supreme Commander\Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance\bin". This is NOT where the editor should go. (If you put it there, it'll complain about missing files and even if you copy-paste those from "...\Supreme Commander\bin" to "...\Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance\bin", it'll not work)

then maybe links to some tutorials.

The best map editor Tutorial available:

http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/Official_map_editor_tutorial

It contains all you need to make a basic playable map, add textures to make it look good and add decals to make it look better (although that is a painfully long process).

how to make a symetrical map?

Can be read in the 2nd lesson of the Tutorial

how is it possible to add such 3d things like on theta? how to add civilans

Can be read in the 7th lesson of the Tutorial.

how to make such surivel maps?

is it also possible to integrate a mod in a map?

These require some scripting. I haven't done it and it also isn't really explained in the map editor tutorial, but it's always a good idea to look at the .lua files of other maps. Take a survival map, look at the script.lua and I'm sure you'll find the text responsible for making the survival mission.

The problem with that is, is that you get a wall of text without an explanation as to what each line of code does.
The same thing goes for integrating mods into a map.

Finally: There has been a problem with the people who have downloaded supcom through steam. The map editor won't allow you to do anything (I think). The discussion was in this thread: http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2579

And the file required to solve the problem can be found here (though I would like it if Viking could add it to his server, are you here Viking?): http://www.mediafire.com/?360i8my8h6wzg5l

Will be redone in the next few days.
Prince__
Priest

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: UES_Prince

Re: Map Editor FAQ

Postby ColonelSheppard » 11 Feb 2013, 22:23

Answer this in your post too pls:

is it possible to create your own textures and if yes how
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Prince__ » 11 Feb 2013, 22:30

Yes,you can genrelly use any picture you have and add it as a decal on the map.But adding (his own) pictures is as easy as trying to survive naked in the jungle.I once found a german post on insidesupcom but as you know its down,so I have to figure out how to add them.
Prince__
Priest

Postby ColonelSheppard » 11 Feb 2013, 22:32

yep, this is why i ask, i have no idea anymore how to do this
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Pierto » 04 Mar 2013, 19:00

I downloaded SCFA from Steam and do not have a copy of the original Supreme Commander. Is there any way for me of running the map editor?

Tx
"T2 mex, I think it's a mistake! Why not do something more useful?" (RA_Zlo in a ranked 1v1 game against Yarma_Darma on Haven's Reef)
Pierto

Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Pietros

Postby Prince__ » 04 Mar 2013, 22:13

Same for you,download the map editor and put the .exe file into your SupCom/bin folder.
Prince__
Priest

Postby Krapougnak » 06 Mar 2013, 09:39

How to add new textures to the editor : I did it once a long time ago, I made a map with SupCom2 textures (SC2 Canyon), you can download it to see how I included the textures inside the map file.

Otherwise to use new textures at home with the editor you have to :

1. They should be .dds obviously. You can convert them with Paint.net or Photoshop if they aren't in that format originally.
2. Put them in the following path/folder : env/yourtexturename/layers/your textures files
3. Make an .scd of them and put it in gamedata folder (in supcom vanilla).

This will allow you to see them inside the editor and use them. To play your new map in FA put the .scd in your FA gamedata folder.

If you want to release your map to the public : add all your new textures .dds files inside your new map folder.

I never tried with decals or props but I suppose the process should be the same or very similar.

Hope this helps.
K.
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Postby Prince__ » 06 Mar 2013, 18:29

Awesome ! Thanks !
Prince__
Priest

Postby Pierto » 08 Mar 2013, 08:07

Prince,

I already tried that and it doesn't work. I get the following error message:

The procedure entry point ?DISK_OpenFileRead@Moho@@YAPAVIBufRead@1@VstrArg@gpg@@_N@Z could not be located in the dynamic library C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\bin\SupCom Map Editor.exe
"T2 mex, I think it's a mistake! Why not do something more useful?" (RA_Zlo in a ranked 1v1 game against Yarma_Darma on Haven's Reef)
Pierto

Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Pietros

Postby Krapougnak » 08 Mar 2013, 09:51

Reading your error log it seems you have to put the map editor .exe in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\bin folder. Try this or try putting the mapeditor in the supcom bin folder AND the steam bin folder.

Just groping in the dark for solutions... . :roll:
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Next

Return to Mapping