How to Properly Request a Map Update, and Dual Gap

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

How to Properly Request a Map Update, and Dual Gap

Postby Morax » 15 Feb 2020, 19:39

Everyone, I have been meaning to share a few details on how maps in the vault can be updated should someone feel they are up to the task. As a general reminder, you should be aware that you need the original author's permission to do so, else you need to consult with the M&M discord team [myself, a "Vault Overmind," etc].

Recently, I noticed a few iterations of "Dual Gap" that in particular showed some changes from the original, and was thinking "this is just another attempt at someone to claim his or her version is better because reasons..."

"Reason" is not really a great explanation of what people generally claim when they want to update a map, so please understand "this doesn't look good," or "i like this better and so do 'x' amount players," and "our group thinks this is better for the community because we like it" are not justifiable statements

What should one do? To be 100% honest, just ask and give a list of concrete reasons such as "this bug on the map is causing this issues and it cannot be fixed due to the author being unreachable," or "the lag in the game due to "single tree props being used excessively causes abnormal fps drops when it is not necessary," or something like "the mexes/hydro for this position are not mirrored properly at this location."

I know that is still a bit vague, so let me show a conversation I had with Robustness recently when he did pretty much what I think needs to be done:

Here, through imagery, he shows the actual off-set and incorrect mirroring of some spawn resources:

Spoiler: show

This is perfect! A plan is in place with a conclusive action that will remedy the issue.

In the middle of the process, he explained there were accidental uploads and requested to hide them - again, perfect:

As for the original author permission, he didn't know exactly who the first was, but he AT THE LEAST found someone and shows conversations and backing to it:

That is exactly what one should do in this case.

Bravo, Robustness. I really am happy to have had this interaction and look forward to working with you further in your endeavors.

To everyone else looking to do something similar, please do not get angry or excited if I deny you at first. I simply want to protect original thought and avoid authors finding out their hard work was taken and interpreted by another for reason that are mostly based on opinion.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Return to Mapping