Mirage Map Feedback Thread for 1v1 Ladder

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Mirage Map Feedback Thread for 1v1 Ladder

Postby Morax » 19 Nov 2019, 17:00

For those of you who do not know, the 5x5 map in ladder called "Mirage" is by me, and I am looking for feedback. I got to play it live in 1v1 for the first time last night and I saw some concerns:

1) Texture at high zoom changes from a vibrant yellow to some gross, poop-like brown (kind of off-putting)
2) Cutoff distance for rock decals on the mountain structures are too low, so it is a bit hard to tell the terrain that cannot be passed
3) Maybe a bit too much rocks to reclaim at start

I plan to address these concerns in version 3.0 of the map, but if anyone else has some feedback that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Mirage Map Feedback Thread for 1v1 Ladder

Postby Jip » 30 Nov 2019, 20:08

I love the map! It has a unique feeling to it.

I'm not a ladder player, so I cannot give feedback on the 'ladder' bit of your question. But I am a mapper (Islet and Rainmakers, look them up in the vault), so perhaps I can be of value there.

hills.png
hills.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2669 times

All of the map is flat, which is fine for building but it makes the gameplay more flat. Perhaps a few hills in area's that you probably won't build a lot to allow artillery to be more effective at certain points (e.g, tanks cannot shoot across the hill). Hill's don't have to be very high or steep, they just exist.'

keep-decals.png
keep-decals.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2669 times

Perhaps keep some of the decals 'on' for all time, even when zoomed out. The grey mountains and the deep-blueisch decals in the water give a unique feeling to the map. They are cutoff when you are zoomed out, especially the deep-blueisch decals. It's just a few decals (perhaps a 50-80 total), showing these all time on a map of this scale shouldn't harm any computer.

love-these.png
love-these.png (2.31 MiB) Viewed 2669 times

These are awesome. And so is the water with their palm trees. And the other details (little cactus area's). It makes the map feel alive.

I cannot add more screenshots, but some area's are quite rough. For example, the majority of the cliffs separating the various elevation levels of the map. These are quite sharp and Supreme Commander is not (in my opinion) fit for sharp edges in the terrain. Perhaps smooth these slightly, such that you cannot walk over the cliffs but they are less edgy.

Overall great map.
Jip

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Jip

Postby nine2 » 01 Dec 2019, 12:23

I came here to say that players think it is water and die - but now I read the map name and I get it. Brutal
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby BlackYps » 01 Dec 2019, 13:59

Your skybox seems to be either bugged, or a night sky. You should probably have a look at it.
BlackYps

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Jip » 01 Dec 2019, 14:11

Anihilnine wrote:I came here to say that players think it is water and die - but now I read the map name and I get it. Brutal

Did I look at the wrong map? Isn't it all water, safe for the commander? :)
Jip

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Jip

Postby Morax » 02 Dec 2019, 19:34

BlackYps wrote:Your skybox seems to be either bugged, or a night sky. You should probably have a look at it.

Hmmm.... I don't normally alter those, but some updates to Ozonex's editor has changed option defaults, so maybe that is it.

Noted.

As for the first poster, thanks! I am working on the fixes outlined in my post that will likely address everything you highlighted. Glad someone enjoys it.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby relent0r » 03 Dec 2019, 11:51

Would be great to see some AI markers on it (a couple of expansion markers and a defence marker or two, uvesos pathing generator could take care of the rest) as its a nice map for ai navigation wise.
relent0r

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: relentless

Return to Mapping