Problem with importing heightmaps

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Problem with importing heightmaps

Postby biass » 19 Aug 2019, 13:59

uh so bickering aside as lionheart says kinda but in short

there "should" be two sliders around the import button in the editor, that control at what height the black and white of the "image" you're using as a heightmap appear as

if you make the values closer to one another, the difference in height decreases and thus fixes your problem

that, or you can decrease the contrast in your favorite image editor, they work the same way
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Lionhardt » 19 Aug 2019, 16:23

He still needs to know what the sliders need to be set to, which is the tricky part.

Honestly, if the heightmap is only as far in progress as the one the OP showed, just start from scratch the proper way, as explained by Morax.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Rewilon » 20 Aug 2019, 22:43

@Morax:
Thank you for your great tutorial. :)
I will check this and try it out.

Which tools du you use to make Maps with natural looking terrain?
(I prefer unsymmetrical natural maps, not that symmetrical tournament maps.)

biass wrote:there "should" be two sliders around the import button in the editor, that control at what height the black and white of the "image" you're using as a heightmap appear as

Where should these sliders be? (Do I use the wrong version of the editor? ...or did you mean WM?)
Attachments
Heightmap-import.png
Heightmap-import.png (8.62 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Rewilon

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Rewilon

Postby biass » 21 Aug 2019, 11:50

ah yeah it's different to the old gpg editor that i use(d)

try ticking scale height, i assume 0.5 would mean it will import at half the height it imports at now
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Morax » 21 Aug 2019, 16:40

Rewilon wrote:Which tools du you use to make Maps with natural looking terrain?
(I prefer unsymmetrical natural maps, not that symmetrical tournament maps.)

I only use World Machine, Photoshop, and online images (search "heightmap" in Google) to get results.

A word of caution: asymmetrical maps are tough to balance so please use care in how you design. Reference the FAF Map Vault rules here and note #7 where you could see your map set to "not ranked." For fun and aesthetic design, go nuts but just a word of caution!

Rewilon wrote:Where should these sliders be? (Do I use the wrong version of the editor? ...or did you mean WM?)

Read over each setting here "[Terrain Settings and meanings in the FAF Map Editor Wiki]" and you will see it depends on what you want.

Strange that it does not explain the "Scale Height" setting. I would enter a value there, check the scale, and see what happens. It might be all you need to do to fix your height map import.

When I get home from work tonight, I will investigate.

A word of caution: Black plane bug
In Forged Alliance there is known bug, that lower parts of your map will become black. It happen, when height difference between the lowest and the highest point is bigger than 50.

Do not try to break this rule! Height differences of 50 not only cause this bug, but will certainly create areas for air unit path-finding, and in general messes with the camera/visibility.

Remember that a difference of more than "1 unit" in the editor is enough to make it so units cannot traverse along and need to find another path to access lower/higher areas of the map.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby MikZZ » 28 Sep 2019, 07:31

In addition of tutorial from Morax I would say next things:

In order to start working in the World Machine (WM) program and in the future to avoid problems with the difference in the WM height map and the FAF Ozonex map editor, you need to make the following changes in the WM settings:
1) Indicate the size of the card, for example. for a 10 × 10 km map for Supreme Commander, in the map editor you need to create a 512 by 512 map. Accordingly, in World Machine it will be 512 x 512 and check the “+1” box so that the game doesn’t have a bug with edges in the game.

2) Set the maximum height in WM equal to 255 meters (in the game the maximum displayed height is 255), or otherwise there will be a problem with importing height maps. You must also set the unit in kilometers.
MikZZ

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times
FAF User Name: MikZuperztar

Previous

Return to Mapping