I'm your Map Craftsman!

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: I'm your Map Craftsman!

Postby Nombringer » 06 Jul 2013, 06:08

Lost paradise 3

The top island has about 1400 more recliam in rocks than the bottom island.

Also the positioning of the hydro is wrong for one of the players; There are big rocks next to hydro on top side, but on the bottom they are much further away.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby ZLO_RD » 06 Jul 2013, 11:29

niflheim final very good 1v1 map from FA-ladder map pool, have map bug in top right, units can go up and down the cliff when they not supposed to do so
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Hawkei » 08 Jul 2013, 09:19

Prince__ wrote:
Firewall wrote:5x60 km map

Your map idea is very nice but I can't really put the words in a picture ... , It would be nice if you could do that for me. :S
I have tried such maps ,but that's only bugging. I have no idea how the hell that worked on Winter Duel.( I could try it again , just the heightmap ofc first. )

No worries, I've put this concept sketch together for you. Hopefully, it should help.

Edit: I forgot to mention. The image shown is only a half map image and should be rotationally symmetrical about the middle island. You should also note that the forward starting position (player 10) is on team 2, not team 1. This should mean that when auto team settings are set to "even vs odd" slots. The forward players will be behind enemy lines. But when it is set to "left vs right", they will start on the same team side. These possibilities should add to the strategic depth and utility of the map. Making it more enjoyable to play.

In thinking of the map concept, I wanted to borrow something that players enjoy from Seatons Clutch and Canis 4v4. Having teams in the safety of a Cul-de-sac. With a concentrated battle space, and a drawn out sluggfest over a long straight channel. Static defences have greater significance. But mobile units in the air, sea or land will always be useful. Because all 10 players are concentrated in this same battlespace it will be non-stop tag team action. With the inertia of distance...

Yet, having forward players in vunerable positions will get into the action quickly, and prompt fast and early action. Naval units will be useful as siege breakers - but the lack of open waters would make them vunerable to land units and experimentals on the river banks. The series of river crossings will give useful hold points, and give victory to the team which can best utilise combined arms warfare. I expect great things from this map :D
Attachments
Map Design.gif
Map Design.gif (47.86 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Last edited by Hawkei on 10 Jul 2013, 08:07, edited 2 times in total.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Jul 2013, 14:33

Make an hard-FFA-like map with more spawn than bases to take...
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Blodir » 09 Jul 2013, 14:43

Firewall wrote:
Prince__ wrote:
Firewall wrote:5x60 km map

Your map idea is very nice but I can't really put the words in a picture ... , It would be nice if you could do that for me. :S
I have tried such maps ,but that's only bugging. I have no idea how the hell that worked on Winter Duel.( I could try it again , just the heightmap ofc first. )

No worries, I've put this concept sketch together for you. Hopefully, it should help.

Something like this would be absolutely brilliant ^^
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Prince__ » 14 Jul 2013, 01:24

Note to myself:

resizing standing stones(10km) to 20 km
-

I will be editing all the maps during my summer vacation, which are very soon.
Prince__
Priest

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: UES_Prince

Postby RoundTabler » 14 Jul 2013, 01:53

Don't know how hard this would be, but a 6v6 Drake's Ravine would be awesome! If you could add a some reclaim for the extra players too that would be great. :)
Avantgarde: bug reports go to you [zep] via PM?
Ze_PilOt_: no
Ze_PilOt_: never.

Ze_PilOt: FA is not about being in a comfort zone all the time.
I think the game you want to play is Starcraft 2.
RoundTabler
Contributor

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: RoundTabler

Postby D4E_Omit » 14 Jul 2013, 11:05

Seraphim glaciers EP - 3v3v3v3 Glaciers is what I think would make the map way more intense instead of your normal 2v2v2v2 naval fights.
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby pip » 18 Jul 2013, 13:04

Nombringer wrote:Lost paradise 3

The top island has about 1400 more recliam in rocks than the bottom island.

Also the positioning of the hydro is wrong for one of the players; There are big rocks next to hydro on top side, but on the bottom they are much further away.

This map also has some unreclaimable rocks, would be nice it that was fixed.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby CopyyyCattt » 21 Jul 2013, 04:15

Wanted to say that if someone has an interesting/unique heightmap and doesn't or cant get a hang of the editor you can contact me and I might help you/ make a map out of it.
CopyyyCattt

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: CopyyyCattt

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping