Neroxis Map Generator

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Neroxis Map Generator

Postby beno_83au » 22 Jun 2020, 09:43

Some default map texture packs (snow/lava/forest/etc) would be nice, but maybe too much of a hassle to be worth the effort. I would've been happy with just a map size and player count selection, but they're some nice looking goals.

edit: I had another thought. Adding support for properly mirrored opti balance would be nice also.
Last edited by beno_83au on 23 Jun 2020, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
beno_83au
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: beno_83au

Postby Cetea » 22 Jun 2020, 22:35

I would love a 1 vs 1 version of this tool; playing random maps in ladder could be a lot of fun!
Cetea
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Cetea

Postby Emperor_Penguin » 24 Jun 2020, 03:11

I like the map generator a lot, and I like what's planned for it as well. I think the most useful additional changes would arguably be whatever is required to make the random map generator incorporated into a matchmaker (such as TMM). Also, if it's realistic to make it generate desired/user-chosen numbers of land slots, navy slots, and air slots, that would be neat. Props to the devs!
Emperor_Penguin

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Emperor_Penguin

Postby KaletheQuick » 25 Jun 2020, 04:15

This is really amazing. I have wanted something like this for awhile, and have started looking into the code. The maps look good, but definitely needs options users can tweak, but it's fresh and new and that's good by me!

I'm looking into the code now to see how it works, hopefully I can contribute. I don't know if any of my favorite procedural algorithms would fit in there now, but this is the future.

I also wonder if the old fog of war options are still in the engine. Anyone else remember that? Actually EXPLORING the map from Supreme Commander vanilla? Not very useful when everyone plays gap/setons/wonder all day, but with new maps we might actually get players who can read the land and make their own decisions instead of memorizing the spots good for this and that.
KaletheQuick

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: KaletheQuick

Postby Katharsas » 27 Jun 2020, 19:17

Biomes with different texture packs are implemented i think, you should be able to get maps with varying look.

KaletheQuick wrote:I'm looking into the code now to see how it works, hopefully I can contribute. I don't know if any of my favorite procedural algorithms would fit in there now, but this is the future.

Hey,
if you plan on doing something with the map generator, you might want to join the developer Zulip. Other than that, feel free to ask any questions or create an issue on Github about what you want to do. Sheikah45 is currently adding options to make it possible to customize the generation. Have fun : )
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby armacham01 » 27 Jun 2020, 21:14

Cetea wrote:I would love a 1 vs 1 version of this tool; playing random maps in ladder could be a lot of fun!

One problem is: the maps would not be saved in the map database, so the replays would be unwatchable except by the people who participated in the games (or, in theory, someone who "joined" the lobby as it was forming, which you can do if you have someone's name open in aeolus and see that they just got a ladder match and click "join" . . . .)

Another problem is: even if most of these maps are good for 1v1s, perhaps some of them are lower quality than others, especially because they are intended for 3v3 play. (I think part of your comment is: the tool could be tweaked to generate maps that work better for 1v1s)

How about this: generate 50 maps. Eyeball them to pick the top 5 for 1v1 ladder play. Save them to the system with formal names (even if they are named differently to show that they come from the generator and aren't "real" maps). Put them into the ladder pool for one rotation. Then forget about them forever (except that they stay in the map database, so that people can watch replays). Do this one time, see if people like it. If they do, perhaps it should be done every ladder rotation.

Another, similar possibility: generate 50 maps, pick the best 5, then have someone like Chosen edit them a bit by hand so they look less generated and more human, and maybe move/remove some mexes to make them more appropriate for 1v1s, and put those into the pool. The problem with this is that FAF has a rule against using the map generator to make maps that will be saved to the database because the FAF administration is worried about being buried in a mountain of low-quality map spam. But if it was just a narrow exception for this particular purpose, that would avoid the problem.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby Sheikah » 28 Jun 2020, 00:48

There should be a fix for watching Map Gen Replays out sometime soon hopefully as it is in development to fix that issue. And on the 3v3 note the new release of the map gen can support up to 8v8 generation and hopefully one of the upcoming clients will allow users to specify how many spawns they want on the map. And of course more playing on them can help us get feedback to make the maps better.
Last edited by Sheikah on 28 Jun 2020, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Sheikah

Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Sheikah

Postby nine2 » 28 Jun 2020, 01:38

did you mean "the new release of the map gen can support *NON* 3v3 generation"
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Sheikah » 28 Jun 2020, 12:56

Yes edited post to make it clear. Thanks for the catch.
Sheikah

Postby Sheikah » 23 Jul 2020, 14:43

New Map Generator UI!

With Downlord's Client 1.1.9 the map generator has gained a new UI for generating maps with user specified terrain options.
In order to GENERATE and PLAY maps which utilize the UI options you MUST HAVE Downlord's Client Version 1.1.9 or higher

The following options are available as inputs to map generation:

Number of Spawns: Number of spawn points the map is generated with. Supports 2 to 16 players. Currently only supports balanced team spawns.
Map Size: Size of the map to be generated. Only supports square maps (5km, 10km and 20km).
Water: The probability/amount of water appearing on the map
Plateaus: The probability/amount of plateaus appearing on the map
Mountains: The probability/amount of mountains appearing on the map
Ramps: The probability/amount of ramps appearing on the map (Note: Ramps are the connections between plateaus and ground level)

It is also now possible to regenerate a map by using the name of the form neroxis_map_generator_(version)_(seed)_(options)
This can also be utilized to specify the options directly. The format for parsing the options from the map name can be found in the source.

Client Version 1.1.9 also supports watching replays of generated map games

Notes:
  • Generation time increases with map size. Optimizations are underway.
  • Generating 16 player 5km maps may occasionally fail due to space constraints. If this occurs generate with new seed.
  • Map Terrain Generation originally optimized for 10km maps. Optimization for 5km and 20km maps still underway.
  • Terrain control options are not a guarantee that a certain amount of that feature will be present in the generated map. They are used for initial seeding only.
  • Maps with mostly water will generate water mexes where possible rather than clumping mexes on small amounts of land
  • Map Generation not supported on the python client
  • Maps Generated Names of the form neroxis_map_generator_(version)_(seed) where seed is numeric will be compatible with older clients

Additionally new features have been added and are included in the spoiler
Spoiler: show
    Version 1.0.10
  • Unit Wrecks now spawn as reclaim (T1-T3 Land, T2 Destroyers, T2 Navy Factories)
  • New Symmetries Added (Symmetries: X, Y, XY, YX, QUAD, DIAG, POINT)
  • Reclaim Generation Improved (Added cliff rocks and variation of placement)
  • Mex Expansions Added (Expansions of 2-4 mexes randomly placed on map)
  • Support Mexes Added (Each Base will have 1-3 support mexes nearby)
  • Generate previews with better coloring and lighting
  • Guarantee space for base building at spawn points
  • Odd/Even Teams are guaranteed on all maps and represent mirror positions

As always if you have any suggestions for features of the map generator please comment in this thread.
If a generated map has issues please let me know by messaging me with the map name so that the cause can be investigated.

Screenshot (34).png
Screenshot (34).png (473.07 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Last edited by Sheikah on 23 Jul 2020, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Sheikah

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping