Neroxis Map Generator

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Neroxis Map Generator

Postby SilentWarrior » 26 Apr 2018, 11:32

Evildrew wrote:
... somehow code in plateaus into your generation script...

Would be interesting, if you can put mexes on plateaus as well.

Zappa wrote:Would it be possible to script random reclaim spawn on every play, unpredictable but always symmetric/balanced?

You may notice that sometimes Reclaim is ringed around the edges of plataeus and mountains. Put two different scripts for reclaim? Reclaim Field and Edge Reclaim.
Greetings and Salutations
SilentWarrior
Contributor

Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 46 times
FAF User Name: MisterK

Postby ozonex » 26 Apr 2018, 17:16

Farmsletje wrote:Would be great if this would eventually be added to the ozonex editor, although i have no idea if thats possible

Of corse it is ;)
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 27 Apr 2018, 02:02

Tested map #14 w/ MisterK as promised. Map's good, open to various tactics and unit comps but! In the early stage it favors aeon and seraphim, at least until you can get t1 navy or a lot of bombers. Granted that this map wasn't played the way people would play a teamgame but no one joined our game so did what we could.

Early on, the lack of any reclaim makes spamming hard and slows down the pace of the game. Even maps low on reclaim, like Theta, have some that you can float on for a few seconds to finish that factory or that mex upgrade or that ACU upgrade. This map has nothing. This does make map control a priority though as sitting on your core and natural mexes will lose you the game quickly.

Also no AI markers, ACUs just stand in base & build random shit

Overall I'd give it a 3.5/5
Attachments
7837112-DwightEisenhower.fafreplay
(17.44 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
7837149-DwightEisenhower.fafreplay
(100.3 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby biass » 27 Apr 2018, 06:18

looks like a really cool way to throw down at least a base for a potential map, especially for people who might not really know what they want to make.

Some questions for you though:
- Did you paint the textures yourself and if no how are they painted?
- How have you placed mountains on the map and can the mountain shape be changed?
- Is it feasible to generate decals?

Ike wrote:In the early stage it favors aeon and seraphim

who would win: 2018 pros or one floaty boi
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Farmsletje » 27 Apr 2018, 13:56

Ike wrote:Tested map #14 w/ MisterK as promised. Map's good, open to various tactics and unit comps but! In the early stage it favors aeon and seraphim, at least until you can get t1 navy or a lot of bombers. Granted that this map wasn't played the way people would play a teamgame but no one joined our game so did what we could.

Early on, the lack of any reclaim makes spamming hard and slows down the pace of the game. Even maps low on reclaim, like Theta, have some that you can float on for a few seconds to finish that factory or that mex upgrade or that ACU upgrade. This map has nothing. This does make map control a priority though as sitting on your core and natural mexes will lose you the game quickly.

Also no AI markers, ACUs just stand in base & build random shit

Overall I'd give it a 3.5/5

Why on earth did you test an unfinished map that would very likely not be finished? It was just an example from the map generator..
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby nine2 » 30 Apr 2018, 12:06

op asked for people to take a look and give feedback. seems reasonable
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby n3roxis » 30 Apr 2018, 13:02

biass:
Some questions for you though:

> Did you paint the textures yourself and if no how are they painted?

The generator works by first generating binary masks to mark for example where land is and where not. By manipulating these masks and adding a specific noise I can generate quite good looking grass. I'll explain this in greater detail once the generator is open source.

> How have you placed mountains on the map and can the mountain shape be changed?

Again a binary mask is generated first which marks where mountains are. After that I generate the heightmap and texture masks based on this information. Changing the moutain shape requires adjustment to the binary mask generation (to change the mountain outline) and ajoustments to the heightmap generation to change how the mask is interpreted.

> Is it feasible to generate decals?

Although it is low priority atm (because it doesn't add to gameplay), I absolutley want to generate decals at some point.
n3roxis
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times
FAF User Name: Neroxis

Postby SilentWarrior » 02 May 2018, 00:19

Farmsletje wrote:
Why on earth did you test an unfinished map

mmmh testing something that's not complete. I wonder why people would want to do that. Ban testing until the final product comes out! Probably explains blue screen and constant windows updates from Microsoft Windows. :lol:
Greetings and Salutations
SilentWarrior
Contributor

Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 46 times
FAF User Name: MisterK

Postby Farmsletje » 02 May 2018, 11:52

MisterK wrote:
Farmsletje wrote:
Why on earth did you test an unfinished map

mmmh testing something that's not complete. I wonder why people would want to do that. Ban testing until the final product comes out! Probably explains blue screen and constant windows updates from Microsoft Windows. :lol:

Its like testing a shooter without having guns working. If there is too much missing it is simply not worth testing.

Not implying that neroxis did bad work btw. Its just incomplete.

@neroxis: do you know how to create texture masks in world machine? You can create some pretty good ones from it (a mixture from textures + decent fading). Would be nice if you managed to make something similar

Also, i dont know if you are planning on doing this but it would be great if you could give the user input options (terrain type, biome type, reclaim amount, etc).
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Morax » 14 May 2018, 22:56

I have to agree, that uploading the unfinished work into the vault was not a great decision. We are dealing with far too much "quarter-, half-done" content flooding difficult-to-regulare area.

Please share the maps with people via handing out the files and hosting on your own, please.

If you don't know how to do that, contact me and I'll show how. It takes 2 minutes...
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping