Pandemonium 7km 1v1

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Pandemonium 7km 1v1

Postby Kiliax » 27 Mar 2018, 02:34

New 1v1 (Ladder?) Map
You can make fun of the top level meme spawns if you like, I was orginally not going to have the 4 extra mexes but after playing a lot of matches I really liked having them. I will not be doing any more to this map as it is final unless there is something that needs to be fixed of course. Hope you all enjoy playing as much as I do. If anyone requests I will not be adding wreckage or anything else in mid. I like how it is as you may assume someone will not bring com in mid for the mere 2 mexes but that leaves room for surprises as it seems most times players bring coms around the sides, Have Fun.

Map.jpg
Map.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 2622 times

Mid.jpg
Mid.jpg (265.08 KiB) Viewed 2622 times

DUNES.jpg
DUNES.jpg (106.6 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Kiliax
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kiliax

Re: Pandemonium 7km 1v1

Postby Uveso » 27 Mar 2018, 15:22

Nice map!
Good idea with the sand border.
I also like the position of the startpoints and mexes.

btw, it's confusing that all your different maps have the same name :)
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Kiliax » 27 Mar 2018, 18:01

Uveso wrote:Nice map!
Good idea with the sand border.
I also like the position of the startpoints and mexes.

btw, it's confusing that all your different maps have the same name :)

Appreciate the pleasant feedback :)
In regards to the maps all having the same name: I figured I would name them all the same name (all locations on same planet...) and add the dimensions of the map for the detailing part. Wanted to make each map a different size but with same theme of the granite/rock like crust and plateaus with an underlying crystaline structure and the giant blue crystal structures that protrude the surface. A heavily sought after planet for its mineral (mass) resources which is plagued by intense heat covering the planet every? I don't know, 20 years? which is hot enough to melt all of the wreckage creating pools of metal saturated water (hence the look of the water) and coverd in sand due to the desert like environment. That and I hate coming up with names lol. Sorry if it is confusing. Made sense to me at the time. Ironically, I thought it would be less confusing.
Kiliax
Crusader

Postby Morax » 27 Mar 2018, 23:20

8 mexes at the starting positions is a bit high... It doesn't look like there is much for expansion, either.

It would help if you added some key reclaim areas, expansions, etc to drive a little more interesting gameplay.

It looks very, very basic.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Kiliax » 28 Mar 2018, 00:44

Morax wrote:8 mexes at the starting positions is a bit high... It doesn't look like there is much for expansion, either.

It would help if you added some key reclaim areas, expansions, etc to drive a little more interesting gameplay.

It looks very, very basic.

you might want to actually play the map before making comments on it. I do not really appreciate comments based on speculation.
Kiliax
Crusader

Postby Uveso » 28 Mar 2018, 07:10

My problem with the same name is, that after 5 maps i can't remember the maps.
I can easily remember that i played canis, setons etc. and i played pandemonium. But hell, i cant remember the number.

A name like Pandemonium Hills, Pandemonium Tales and so on, would be nicer.
Well, i choose maps by looking at the map preview picture. So this is not really a problem :D

And a last word to the AI paths. I did not play the map but i did 2 AI games on it.
Was nice to watch. AIs where fighting in the sand for every far away mex point.
Also the whole map was used to move units around dangerous areas etc. NICE!

I stated it already but in my eyes is your map special because it is not like the others.
Enforcing different playstyle on this map. GREAT !
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Postby Kiliax » 28 Mar 2018, 11:01

Uveso wrote:My problem with the same name is, that after 5 maps i can't remember the maps.
I can easily remember that i played canis, setons etc. and i played pandemonium. But hell, i cant remember the number.

A name like Pandemonium Hills, Pandemonium Tales and so on, would be nicer.
Well, i choose maps by looking at the map preview picture. So this is not really a problem :D

And a last word to the AI paths. I did not play the map but i did 2 AI games on it.
Was nice to watch. AIs where fighting in the sand for every far away mex point.
Also the whole map was used to move units around dangerous areas etc. NICE!

I stated it already but in my eyes is your map special because it is not like the others.
Enforcing different playstyle on this map. GREAT !

Ahhhh, I see what you mean about the same name now. I guess for me as the creator it was easier and made sense with the map sizing (and as well to avoid player confusion when it says it is 20km or 10km and it is actually not). Maybe I will give them a secondary name ass you suggested followed by map size....do you know if length of map name is an issue? for example when displayed in lobbies?

Itis greatto find someone who appreciates the difference in my maps from the norm. I have also found that I like the sand dunes because it is nice for players to take advantage of microing and using the elevation to their advantage when their opponent does not micro or place units appropriately and their units shoot into ground. And not having mexes (or at least not all over) in the dunes makes players lose focus and allows for the enemy to sometimes sneak around and flank unoticed because the other player disregards it as not important. Glad you like the map and appreciate it! :D
Kiliax
Crusader

Postby Uveso » 28 Mar 2018, 12:46

At the moment i am using the map for AI fights. :)

I don't know if this is a bug, but the textures of the blue hills are sliding when i move the mouse.

I did not viewed the code but the longset name i found was
'Dual Gap EP Tropical Paradise Resort Edition'
but only this fitted into the window view size:
'Dual Gap EP Tropical Paradise Resort Edit'

Should be ok to use up to 40 letters.
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Postby Kiliax » 28 Mar 2018, 16:51

Uveso wrote:At the moment i am using the map for AI fights. :)

I don't know if this is a bug, but the textures of the blue hills are sliding when i move the mouse.

I did not viewed the code but the longset name i found was
'Dual Gap EP Tropical Paradise Resort Edition'
but only this fitted into the window view size:
'Dual Gap EP Tropical Paradise Resort Edit'

Should be ok to use up to 40 letters.

I have done several maps and everytime I have done decals I have gotten this "bug" where if you tilt the camera in particular positions decals will disappear. I have not been able to figure out what causes this. I noticed it gets worse if you copy and paste decals (e.g. I would layer decals to create a look for say mex locations and then copy and paste them all at same time, or I would do decals for half the map and copy and rotate). When I did this map I copy and pasted for half the map but a layer at a time and it still caused issues. e.g. I would place all bottom most decals first on half of map, then do the next layered decal across half of map. This still ended up with disappearing decals. I even tried placing decals entirely individually in layer order without copy pasting and STILL got this error...so I resorted back to copy paste to speed up decaling the map since it was going to bug out anyways.I don't know if it is because I use so many decals or because I end up layering to many decals or what. Anyone has info on this I would appreciate it. I have not played with the new FAF map editor to know if it solves this problem. Another affect of copying pasting decals is that the editor will paste them out of order and place a decal I had n botom on top of the stack when pasted. It takes an extreme amount of effort to do the amount of detailed decaling I did on this map which is why my other maps do not have decals because they are simply to large to deal with. I am working on them slowly but is irritating to put in so much effort to have them glitch. Anyways, maybe I should create a post about this to see if anyone knows about it.

Ohhhhhh, hahahahaha. I just realized what you are talking about. That is the "Glow" lighting effect. I use it to get kind of a crystal look for the large blue crystals sticking out of ground and the smaller greem crystaline mounds that stick up as well. The textures will also "shift" after a short period of time on their own. It's basically a special effect. Someone else thought it was a glitch too haha. It looks much cooler in the editor because the editor does it continuously which giveskinda a cool effect but the in game engine displays the effect differently.
Kiliax
Crusader

Postby Morax » 29 Mar 2018, 01:22

I played your map. This is not a stab directly to the chest, but I seriously think you could put a little more effort into a height map. There really just is nothing interesting about the map to me.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Return to Mapping