Custom Map Thumbnails

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Custom Map Thumbnails

Postby Kiliax » 18 Mar 2018, 02:49

Wondering to get custom thumbnails for maps to work? This is absokutely necessary for maps which are cropped to a play area as aposed to being standard sizes. Fr instance showing black for nonplayable areas and scaling map image to properly fill thumbnail space. Not sure this can be done for in game libby map thumbnails but is definetely possible for faf lobby thumbnailsas I have seen custom thumbnails used. Ihave tried editing the small thumbnail and uploading with map but thumbnail inly shows on my libby screen and not other players lobby screens? I even delete map folder and redownload from vault and will show in my lobby but not any other players lobbies....
Kiliax
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kiliax

Re: Custom Map Thumbnails

Postby nine2 » 18 Mar 2018, 22:51

its probably cached on other pool layers
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Re: Custom Map Thumbnails

Postby Kiliax » 27 Mar 2018, 10:38

So, I figured out that to get the black areas where map is out of bounds to show on thumbnails you can use decals. I found a particular decal (I believe under "common" that when set to Albedo (I think it was a specular decal?) it would show as all black and I recently realized decals render in thumbnails if you set the LOD to something high like 1000. If you felt like it you could also use a plain white or yellow or some other color decal to spell out a lower case "v" and a number to show version number in thumbnail in black area.
Kiliax
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kiliax

Return to Mapping