EvanGalea's Maps!

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

EvanGalea's Maps!

Postby Evan_ » 16 Sep 2017, 02:43

Throwing my hat into the map making ring as well, get ready for large 1v1 maps, small teamgame maps, and more!

Currently uploaded maps:
Spoiler: show
#1 Eden Prime (8 players, 20 x 20 KM

Enjoy this eco-Heavy air fest where one nuke can kill 4 bases! Start off with you and your team-mates circled around a pile of rocks. use it to boost your production but be sure to share! Once you've dined on a nice entree of red and gray rocks, use a combination of cliffbuilding, traveling, and dropping to develop your island. Be sure to explore coral reefs, strange pits, and massive tree groups as you relax in this beautiful paradise of war!

Coming soon

SmurfLands

A Badlands Iteration for 1v1, with player starting in the center of their side.

Endor

A super cool looking map but when you launch the thumnail tricked you and you were sent to Duel Gap. Just kidding, it's a generic 5km t1 spam map.
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Re: EvanGalea's Maps!

Postby Morax » 19 Sep 2017, 18:26

Hmph...
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 20 Sep 2017, 05:35

Morax wrote:Hmph...

what is "hmph.." ?
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Zsombi » 23 Sep 2017, 16:09

Eden Prime is very laggy even with just a NullAI.. how did you manage that? Is it the prop count?
Personally I would put some distance between the spawn locations to have a little breathing room.. 5~10 mex-squares perhaps.
Zsombi

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Zsombi

Postby biass » 24 Sep 2017, 10:08

Here's for your benefit an actual like feedback or whatever of eden prime
im not going to make a comment on the nukerush dynamic because that looks like what you set out to accomplish here and of course it seems to work out just fine. People can like or dislike it but variety is fun and not every map is going to be Loki so hey

not defined gameplay ramps/cliffs

It's important to communicate with the player what is really a hill that is impassable and what is a ramp to move up a level, here you have none. At a glance it is hard to tell where a raid/engineer can pass through (the giant decal is masking a ramp also) and this impacts both aesthetic quality and gameplay, and should be remedied, a separate texture is common, decals also work too.

The same goes for water entry, here:

It's just as important to show where a unit such as the acu can enter the water and where it cannot. You and i played a game on that phenom spartiate map and there was just messed up terrain where we couldn't enter the pond. this and that feel the same way, and when a player is under attack and needs to hide on land/water and cannot cross an aera where they think they should be able to, it leads to frustration

floating reclaim

Make sure to "shake" aka drag the props around a little to make sure they snap to the ground, else this happens.It looks like you shook your mexes, shake your props too.

strange water stuff?

honestly i thought this took inspiration from mesmerising paradise but that map has tribal patterns photoshopped into the heightmap and you have spam of the default brushes, my opinion on asthetics come later but touchy terrain like this can actually just straight up kill acus that drop onto it, this happened on a tabula rasa version i fixed once before, make sure to blur it down or whatever so its passable at least.

thats kinda all i have to say here, i heard you wanted a fight in middle instead of water but you haven't given players any reason to do so whereas there is reasons to fight water alongside the usual siege weapons etc.

my opinion on asthetics (please prep yourself before opening and know this is not an insult towards you as a person cookienoob)
honestly its half assed.
its obvious to me you've kinda just drawn one brush of texture at random all over the ground and there are chances you didn't even bother to look for something different then the default ones already in the brush when you load a map
same goes for terrain, i can see on the land that there was no real attempt to form consistent cliffs or whatever and strange markings are left on the ground from you messing around with the different erosion brushes (especially in the water where i could probably pick out what exact brush left that mark)
decals are kinda strewn over the place with no real attempt at keeping scale consistent nor any thought towards placement (there is a giant overstretched acu deathnuke decal in the water for example that is hidden thanks to LOD)
the props are mostly the same autobrush pushed over the map and there is no consistency on where reclaim is and even there are some random giant rocks all over the place and some are havent even had the effort to rotate them around a bit to not look robotic or etc
the water/lighting appear default but i don't expect you to be able to rig that part up properly on your first go, we can save that for later.

yeah so in the end it honestly just looks very "made with supcom editor" and half assed, i get that its ur first map or whatever but the lack of love and care shows really hard here
this doesn't mean you need to use a world generator or something else to make a nice looking map, infact i think the opposite, the "made with worldmachine" can show too, you just need to put some effort into it.

hope this helps

edit:
i know that lighting and water settings can sort of "hide" flaws or etc on maps, so i threw on some lighting/water of my own to have a mess around, look what i came up with:
Looks strange, right?
this isnt me trying to make ur map ugly, infact the lighting is real nice up close etc, its just that you need to be sure that issues are not hidden behind lighting and etc etc etc
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Evan_ » 24 Sep 2017, 16:01

Thanks for the advice. I'll work it into future versions of EP, and in new maps as well.

As for the lag, I don't know how to fix that. Could it be the wave generator or something? it was fine when I tried it, even watched an hour long game to the end at +1 on my average pc.
Evan_

Postby Morax » 25 Sep 2017, 16:02

Please test your maps with other people before you upload to the vault if you don't mind. If you don't know how to share the files with people contact me and I will help.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Evan_ » 14 Oct 2017, 06:51

Right, so I'm working on the next version of Eden prime. I've fixed a few things so far, others are still WIP

-I've found out there are multiple types of waves drawn on the surface, this has been reset and now there's only lone type. I don't know if that was causing the lag or something else.
-All Decals are removed for now.
-I've adjusted the lighting slightly, to make the raised parts of the islands jut out more. I plan to use some erosion decals to mark where the slope is enough to climb
-It turns out I actually had 2 Stratum set to the same texture, that's fixed now and parts of the island are slightly darker green to add variance.
-All water trenches are being removed, with instead a slow slope into a steadily darker ocean. I'm also using a rocky texture to mark where the beach hit's the ocean, like how Seton's Clutch did it.
-Props are being fixed, I'm mostly just deleting them and replacing. I also know how to add wreckage now.

Does anyone know if using more than 5 strata puts more pressure on the cpu? That's kinda how it is in Unity, with having massively increased draw calls if you go over 4 textures for your terrain.
Evan_

Return to Mapping