Help, Slots invisible in lobby map.

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Help, Slots invisible in lobby map.

Postby Zsombi » 03 Sep 2017, 14:03

Some time ago I found "island zero" with AI markers in the vault, however for some reason the AI did nothing in slots 3 & 4.
I thought about trying to fix it somehow, but the Hazard Marker Editor showed all markers way off the map area and it was just impossible to see the whole AI grid (can't zoom out enough).

So, I deleted all markers and added new ones then saved them. However when I opened the map in game in the lobby there were no spawn points visible on the map, and afterwards when I reopened it in the marker editor all markers were in the upper left corner.

Why did this happen?
Was I using the wrong tool or should have I also edited some lua file?
Zsombi

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Zsombi

Re: Help, Slots invisible in lobby map.

Postby AwarE » 04 Sep 2017, 14:45

Hazard's Marker Editor is an excellent tool that can sort out any marker problem.
Keep in mind that it only makes changes to the mapname.save.lua ...
You must ensure that the mapname.scenario.lua is updated with a manual text edit to reflect any changes to the number of ARMY start points or civilian ARMY initiation.

roj
AwarE
Priest

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: AwarE

Postby Zsombi » 06 Sep 2017, 08:11

If originally there were 8 armies plus 1 (9) for wrecks, and that has not changed, is there anything to edit in the mapname.scenario.lua file other than perhaps the map version number? That I did the first time as well.

Is there a way for taking an existing but shifted-off-map marker grid and moving it "back in place" without modifying it or having to redo it?
For example there are maps with enough water where there are markers except for navy so the AI is often stuck on their islands.
I have not found a way to select all markers at once to move them all keeping their relative distance to each other. It would make fixing such things much easier.
Zsombi

Postby Zsombi » 12 Sep 2017, 11:12

AwarE wrote:Hazard's Marker Editor is an excellent tool that can sort out any marker problem.
Keep in mind that it only makes changes to the mapname.save.lua ...
You must ensure that the mapname.scenario.lua is updated with a manual text edit to reflect any changes to the number of ARMY start points or civilian ARMY initiation.

roj

I just don't understand this editor. Take for example the "island zero" 10x10 8p map (with AI markers). As is the two opposing edge positions are bad for the AI as they do nothing there (ARMY_3 & 4).
I didn't know of a way to fix that other than move those a bit in the hope that they will fix themselves.

So I opened the Hazard Marker Editor and the map in it, but I could not see any of the markers on the map. I remembered that for some reason on many maps they appear shifted way off the map so I scrolled towards the bottom right side and they were all there, nicely arranged. However positioning them like that without seeing where on the map they would be exactly is hard.

I deleted all of them, tracked down the army markers (which are apparently not counted as markers thus the "delete all markers" doesn't remove them), and moved all 8 back on the map. Arranged them and re-added the rest the best I could (following the accompanying png image which nicely shows the terrain as well nicely colored with more than just grey and blue). When done, hit "save markers" and closed the editor.

I checked the scenario and the other lua files but since the original 8 army numbers were the same I only edited the description. However when I attempted to try it in game I couldn't select any of the positions. Afterwards I opened the map again in the marker editor where every single marker was now in the upper left corner.

What is there to update in the scenario lua if everything other than the marker positions are the same?
Zsombi

Return to Mapping