Which map(s) do you want to see?

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Which map(s) do you want to see?

Postby DankFurter » 26 Aug 2017, 08:24

Hey guys,

Big supcom fan here, only just discovered FAF, might have played a couple of games with some of you but not many.

Had a few hours free at work the other night and started putting together some shapes for a few maps and before I knew it I had 15 sketched out.

I've never made a supcom map before or even touched the editor(s), but i'm up for the challenge, I've made maps/levels on pretty much every game I could ranging across various platforms, so I think we'll be fine.

Now.. the sketches are by no means detailed, they are in essence a top down layout of the terrain/water/spawns. Some of the maps will be made to look natural whilst some might take a more fun approach, but the shape of the map will remain the same.

I would like you guys to basically pick the ones you'd like to play on and I'll make the most popular 3, If anybody wants to assist to collaborate in any way then drop me a pm.

All of the maps that I create will be retouched and refined over time, my main aim is to churn out maps and learn more as I go and apply that to new and existing maps, so hopefully you will see an improvement in quality. :)

Peace
Attachments
21125196_10155006082597239_1346206497_o.jpg
21125196_10155006082597239_1346206497_o.jpg (167.69 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
Last edited by DankFurter on 30 Aug 2017, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
DankFurter

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: DankFurter

Re: Which map(s) do you want to see?

Postby speed2 » 26 Aug 2017, 09:08

And in case you want to be assisted viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13040
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby keyser » 26 Aug 2017, 19:57

4a, 8, 9 15
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby DankFurter » 27 Aug 2017, 08:11

4b was the one I drew first and 4a is the second render :)
DankFurter

Postby DankFurter » 28 Aug 2017, 07:17

4b has been 90% completed, is fully playable however.
DankFurter

Postby Farmsletje » 28 Aug 2017, 23:36

First of all let me tell you that the following critique is rather blunt, but it is just meant as supportive criticism. Don't take it too personal.

So, for maps to be good you need 2 key elements: Good gameplay and a visually pleasing map and your map has neither of those two.

Your map has bad expansion possibilities, almost no mexes for the front players, lots of sharp cliffs in the water which makes acu movement in water bad, bad looking textures, bad heightmap, no decals, barely props and the list goes on and on. Even if you fix a couple of these things in my opinion this map would never reach my standard of being "playable", unless it will eventually look like a different map.

The first step to making a good map is by making it have good gameplay, but this step will also be the hardest one for you. For someone who has just joined faf it will be very hard to know the key elements of map making that will make the gameplay good as well.

Tbh i'm not sure how i could help you with this. I can only tell you that this problem exists :D

For now i can atleast give you a couple of tips about your current map:
- First of all: Try making a non water map first because they are a lot easier to make.
- Maps look a lot better when they look natural.
- The height map is the most important thing you have to make so try to make it as good as possible
- When making a water map you have to think about the transition between land and water. This will be either 1: A beach or 2: A cliff. Give them a natural looking texture so that the player can see all the available beaches on the map in a split second.
- Make sure a water map doesn't have too many cliffs because it will hinder the gameplay. https://puu.sh/xlQG5/c0a154c496.png: islands like this are inaccessible by water which is bad and almost your entire map consists of these cliffs.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby DankFurter » 29 Aug 2017, 07:20

Farmsletje wrote:First of all let me tell you that the following critique is rather blunt, but it is just meant as supportive criticism. Don't take it too personal.

So, for maps to be good you need 2 key elements: Good gameplay and a visually pleasing map and your map has neither of those two.

Your map has bad expansion possibilities, almost no mexes for the front players, lots of sharp cliffs in the water which makes acu movement in water bad, bad looking textures, bad heightmap, no decals, barely props and the list goes on and on. Even if you fix a couple of these things in my opinion this map would never reach my standard of being "playable", unless it will eventually look like a different map.

The first step to making a good map is by making it have good gameplay, but this step will also be the hardest one for you. For someone who has just joined faf it will be very hard to know the key elements of map making that will make the gameplay good as well.

Tbh i'm not sure how i could help you with this. I can only tell you that this problem exists :D

For now i can atleast give you a couple of tips about your current map:
- First of all: Try making a non water map first because they are a lot easier to make.
- Maps look a lot better when they look natural.
- The height map is the most important thing you have to make so try to make it as good as possible
- When making a water map you have to think about the transition between land and water. This will be either 1: A beach or 2: A cliff. Give them a natural looking texture so that the player can see all the available beaches on the map in a split second.
- Make sure a water map doesn't have too many cliffs because it will hinder the gameplay. https://puu.sh/xlQG5/c0a154c496.png: islands like this are inaccessible by water which is bad and almost your entire map consists of these cliffs.

This is exactly what I want to see.

Though this map was more to get a feel for the editor, I will take on board these comments in future editing, next project is a 1v1 land based map with a very small option for water.
DankFurter

Postby DankFurter » 30 Aug 2017, 09:09

9 Is finished.
DankFurter

Return to Mapping