svenni_badbwoi's maps

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: svenni_badbwoi's maps

Postby Uveso » 21 Jan 2019, 08:35

Hello svenni_badbwoi,

i tested your MARS map and it looks AWESOME!

I love the AI waypoints, but 800 are way to much.
The game is slowing down with so many Waypoints.

A normal map has about 200 Wapoints.
In this case the pathfinding can check up to 1828 nodes to find its way to the destination (319 on average)

On Mars we have a pathfinding up to 4324 nodes and 1592 on average.
So this map has 5 times more CPU load with pathfinding then most other maps.

After testing different node numbers i would suggest not to use more then 400 nodes for each layer on a map!
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby keyser » 21 Jan 2019, 13:26

the last map looks great indeed (didn't play it)
about what you said Uveso that should be wrote into maps making guidelines (if it isn't already).
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Uveso » 21 Jan 2019, 18:45

Hello Keyser,

yeah, i am working on a path marker tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=16606

It's growing slowly. But after i heve finished it, then maybe someone with better English knowledge can move it to the wiki :D
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 22 Jan 2019, 22:41

thanks for the compliment guys <§
I'm glad that you like it.

@uveso: Also thx for testing and AI feedback! I will fix that soon.
I was under the impression that more AI path nodes are always better than less - why didn't you tell me before xD
Just to be sure: You are saying that the individual limit for land, amphibious and air path nodes should be 400 nodes?
Did you noticed any impact from the decal when the map was loaded?
svenni_badbwoi

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 44 times
FAF User Name: svenni_badbwoi

Postby Uveso » 23 Jan 2019, 00:34

Hello svenni_badbwoi,

Yes, 400 nodes for each layer is the maximum on my PC's without lag.
But even 400 markers can lag if you have a slow PC.

Btw, you are the only one who is so insane and create over 800 markers for a layer on a map :D

The impact in loading time is huge (5 seconds freeze).
So yes i noticed it. ^^
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 23 Jan 2019, 01:33

Uveso wrote:Yes, 400 nodes for each layer is the maximum on my PC's without lag.
But even 400 markers can lag if you have a slow PC.^^

Okay, I will try to set my max at 300 if possible.

Uveso wrote:Btw, you are the only one who is so insane and create over 800 markers for a layer on a map :D

It comes with my workflow. I just make land nodes real good, then export, rename and import as amphibious - with offset for lanes of course ;)
Maybe your tutorial motivated me to much..

Uveso wrote:The impact in loading time is huge (5 seconds freeze).
So yes i noticed it. ^^

lol only 5 seconds, I'm at 25. testing was fun xD
I'm still open for suggestions to fix that, without loosing decal resolution.
svenni_badbwoi

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 31 Jan 2019, 01:19

'Adaptive Mars - Mangala Fossa' v0002 is uploaded ...

Improvements:
-Cut decal in half to reduce loading time from 20-30s to 10-15s --> Thx to ozonex' for the idea and help
-New AI land and amphibious nodes to reduced CPU load (formerly >800 nodes each, now 355) --> Thx to uveso for the testing and feedback
-Moved one mex of ARMY_1 & ARMY_5 to make it more clear to whom the resources belong
-Adaptive Fix: Core mex was not properly bound to ARMY_1 & 2
-Removed flying prop
-Removed start text --> Only used in v1 for faster bug detection
svenni_badbwoi

Postby Farmsletje » 31 Jan 2019, 14:16

Couple of suggestions:

Prevent units from walking onto mountains to avoid cancer.

The random civies that spawn every game seem more annoying than usefull. You should have it default to not spawn them at all.

Also try to keep the adaptive settings consistent with other adaptive maps. If i look at the old cookienoob adaptive map almost all of them have very similar looking adaptive settings so it's easy to quickly add them. In comparison yours look way more chaotic and aren't as obvious, also in due to a lack of tooltips, like:

Also in some of the maps you show the natural reclaim changes as 100%, 150%, etc while in others you show it as x1.5, x2, etc. Again, consistency would be nice.

Ofcourse i'm nitpicking a bit, but it annoys be nonetheless so i thought i'd mention it anyway.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 01 Feb 2019, 01:21

Thx for the feedback.

Farmsletje wrote:Prevent units from walking onto mountains to avoid cancer.

Oh, I missed 1 pixel there. That is literally the only mountain I did not checked, because block looked fine.
Just tested and it does block the normal unit path correctly, unless the unit was explicitly told to go up there. I'm wondering, why you don't like? Its a nice view and it does not conflict with normal path finding. Anyway, I put it on the to do list.

Farmsletje wrote:The random civies that spawn every game seem more annoying than usefull. You should have it default to not spawn them at all.

I placed them to be annoying :mrgreen: The idea: T1 PD to delay research base reclaim and hydro positions to give you an option to capture, reclaim or fight over early on. Also, if you spawn operational T2 or T3 Civilian Defenses, the T2 &T3 PD will use full range at hydro position.
Can you tell me what you don't like in particular? And where should I put the Civilian Defenses, if they should stay by default? I'm concerned that they will never be used if I disable them.

Farmsletje wrote:Also try to keep the adaptive settings consistent with other adaptive maps. If i look at the old cookienoob adaptive map almost all of them have very similar looking adaptive settings so it's easy to quickly add them. In comparison yours look way more chaotic and aren't as obvious.....
Also in some of the maps you show the natural reclaim changes as 100%, 150%, etc while in others you show it as x1.5, x2, etc. Again, consistency would be nice.

All my maps feature the latest adaptive map files and I'm also responsible for the modifications in the adaptive files (e.g. changes that you have noticed). The whole thing was about making things more obvious, consistent and easier to use in game and for mapping. It was changes last summer after CookieNoob reviewed and approved it ofc. So it will be "chaotic and aren't as obvious" until you get used to the changes or all old adaptive maps feature the latest adaptive files.

About the help-text/tool-tip:
All my maps (and new adaptive maps) give you the desired information if you hover over the "Feature" itself, e.g. "Extra Mexes" shows "Spawn 2 additional mexes in the map center". I did you the favor and added the number and location to it ;) The adaptive default is "Spawn additional mexes -WHERE-." to encourage map maker to insert the correct location (makes no sense to have an extra option text for every possible location). And it seemed kinda pointless to me, to add this information to the numbers as well. Detailed info at this level is only applied if needed...
What is your opinion on that?
svenni_badbwoi

Postby nine2 » 02 Feb 2019, 16:11

Nice
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times