biass' maps thread 2018

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: biass' maps thread 2017

Postby Morax » 28 May 2017, 04:54

Plasma_Wolf wrote:That's my personal opinion about the map Badlands. It's an ok 4v4 map but it's so bloody ugly in every single way that a long time ago Lionheardt already made an improved version called Goodlands. I'm sure you know about that map because it's been in the ladder. It's got better cliffs, more natural terrain chainges etc. imo. :)

It doesn't play like Badlands at all since it is so riddled with reclaim it's not even funny. Two different maps imo since Goodlands is more like 8x8 as it's more closed in.

Fancylands is a great replacement for Badlands.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 28 May 2017, 05:03

I mean that's pretty much it
Goodlands while a nice map strayed too far away from the gameplay of the original by overworking asthetics and reclaim

Fancylands works with the layout of the original badlands, realigns markers / props (badlands markers are so hilariously misaligned it's not even funny) disperses reclaim away from the craters and fixes a number of issues with the plateau (you can shoot back at it)

Oh, and makes it fancy, of course
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby biass » 30 May 2017, 10:26

The op has been updated; enjoy.

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby KeyBlue » 30 May 2017, 11:16

Sacred breaks the black-white titles pattern. :/
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby biass » 30 May 2017, 11:20

KeyBlue wrote:Sacred breaks the black-white titles pattern. :/

indeed
"now i'll just have to upload a new one with black text"

biass
Contributor

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 30 May 2017, 18:28

biass wrote:I mean that's pretty much it
Goodlands while a nice map strayed too far away from the gameplay of the original by overworking asthetics and reclaim

Fancylands works with the layout of the original badlands, realigns markers / props (badlands markers are so hilariously misaligned it's not even funny) disperses reclaim away from the craters and fixes a number of issues with the plateau (you can shoot back at it)

Oh, and makes it fancy, of course

I read on the forum that Lionheardt had not messed with the reclaim and he stated some figures that Goodlands actually had less reclaim than badlands.

Turned out the tool he used was broken and gave the wrong figures.

I tested it yesterday by spawning 400 engineers to reclaim everything and the Goodlands reclaim is indeed double the badlands reclaim. It may also explain why Badlands went wrong for me so many more times than Goodlands :) My reservations are now limited to design in general.

I've taken a more detailed look at fancylands and it's a good improvement. Just one thing: the distance build on the plateaus is now a lot harder and requires a great deal of manoeuvring to get a land factory up there. A quick test showed me that 3 should be possible from both sides so there's a balance there, but maybe the extra time the ACUs need to get to the right spot and start building is a problem. Of course it's not luck if you get your factory up faster than your opponent if he's having problems getting the ACU in the right spot but it may lead to some unfair moments.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby biass » 01 Jun 2017, 10:01

Plasma_Wolf wrote:Of course it's not luck if you get your factory up faster than your opponent if he's having problems getting the ACU in the right spot but it may lead to some unfair moments.

i hear you, might have to change if it is too big an issue, but just might be best to drop for now

if arty could not return fire to plateau i would have changed it right now, but it might now make a difference
wanting to see how it plays 1v1 first :P

i have also seen some people building on the top top cliff of the map, and building mml or whatever to drive over and shoot down onto plateau
this won't be changed, i think people using it have some nice smarts :P

Might do work on the bridge map, i want to try making a sludge map too so ill theme it for that :P

biass
Contributor

Postby Quantuma » 02 Jun 2017, 11:42

I think After years of Supcom.

That this is the perfect map, because I reckon the vagina will set a perfect balance.

It has cliffs, flatland, multiple waterway types. beaches, the perfect mountain balance etc.

perfect for air to air and large naval.

I think this can rival clutch if its built and played with and balanced over time. perhaps even go onto other game platforms with time?

if you make a basic terrain map for the players with time the more advanced parts of the map could be added.

perfect map.jpg
perfect map.jpg (597.97 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Quantuma

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Quantuma

Postby TheKoopa » 02 Jun 2017, 14:14

Kill it! It's an alien invader!
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby biass » 02 Jun 2017, 15:07

Quantuma wrote:I think After years of Supcom.

That this is the perfect map, because I reckon the vagina will set a perfect balance.

It has cliffs, flatland, multiple waterway types. beaches, the perfect mountain balance etc.

perfect for air to air and large naval.

I think this can rival clutch if its built and played with and balanced over time. perhaps even go onto other game platforms with time?

if you make a basic terrain map for the players with time the more advanced parts of the map could be added.

perfect map.jpg

what am i looking at

also 1v1 map wip screen

biass
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping