Fix map versions

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Fix map versions

Postby DeadMG » 11 Apr 2017, 19:36

I initially rather liked FAF's built-in support for map versioning. Unfortunately, I've recently noticed that the system is, uh, less than fully implemented. The user cannot see the map version anywhere except by mousing over it in the lobby, so they can end up with three different Dual Gap EP Version 5s and no way to tell them apart when hosting the lobby or choosing the map. There's also the matter of the fact that users playing older versions of the map do not get updated, so the community fragments around the different versions of the map.

Recommend at least one of:

[*]Always update to the latest version when the user hosts on a map.
[*]Show patch version when choosing map.
DeadMG
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: DeadMG

Re: Fix map versions

Postby biass » 13 Apr 2017, 02:16

DeadMG wrote:I initially rather liked FAF's built-in support for map versioning.

my sweet summer child

also as the maintainer of gap ep maybe its good to say that version 5 is not an "official release"
im not even sure how it "nerfed strat rushes"
i would say stick to 4 but you're free to play whatever, have fun

As for a nice fix generally the thumbnails are generated on upload, maybe if it generated a version number on the thumb that would be cool, but i cannot see that feature being added anytime soon :roll:
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: Fix map versions

Postby DeadMG » 14 Apr 2017, 12:08

If there was an active maintainer, I wouldn't have needed to do it myself ;p

I nerfed strat rushes by spacing out the mexes so that it's impossible to hit more than two with a single strat bomb, instead of all four.
DeadMG
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: DeadMG

Return to Mapping