MMM (Mad-Mozart Maps)

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

MMM (Mad-Mozart Maps)

Postby Mad`Mozart » 30 Mar 2017, 21:37

Hi, since its a thing for mappers to create a thread where they post their stuff i will make one too.

My goal is to make 1v1 maps since i am (or used to be :D ) a 1v1 player. Before i was only doing map reworks, some good some not so, but now its time for the real shit.
Will highly appreciate working on some skilled player map concept (or even, working out a map in the process).

Chiron (made from JaggedAppliance concept)
Spoiler: show

Osiris
Spoiler: show
Last edited by Mad`Mozart on 14 May 2018, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Re: MMM (Mad-Mozart Maps)

Postby Mad`Mozart » 18 Apr 2017, 02:26

New map concept (and top level paint skills). Wanna hear some feedback and ideas about this.
Should pretty clear from the pic. Red dots = mexes, circles = where you start.

Im trying to make a 20km navy map that is... well, about navy. On Roanoke people complained about frigs circling around islands etc which gives a lot of cancer, so my main idea of this concept is to group some mexes on shores which are reachable by frigates and group other mexes on the main landmass of the islands that are reachable by t2 navy. And add some slopes for hover shit and engies to walk on.

Should i leave the middle empty? And probably add some mini islands with single mexes somewhere around.
Just need some feedback now, what would make the map better in your opinion etc. Or maybe this concept is stupid shit and you have this idea of a perfect navy map :)
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Postby Gorton » 18 Apr 2017, 02:34

The islands are still circleable by frigates as long as they don't touch the map edge, something to note
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby FtXCommando » 18 Apr 2017, 02:36

Are the red dots 1:1 mass points? Because you got 70 t1 mexes on the map right now if they are.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Mad`Mozart » 18 Apr 2017, 03:03

Gorton wrote:The islands are still circleable by frigates as long as they don't touch the map edge, something to note

Yes, but instead of having mexes that can be killed all the way around the islands, they are grouped in certain spots so its easier to defend. I imagine setting rally point next to the mexes should solve most of your problems if you are getting raided. I still want to leave a considerable amount of mexes that could be killed by frigs tho, else its not really a navy map imo.
FtXCommando wrote:Are the red dots 1:1 mass points? Because you got 70 t1 mexes on the map right now if they are.

I counted 68 or 34 mexes for each player :D Maybe i went a little overboard with em, didnt really it too much thought yet (actually like 30 sec). Its the part of the map that could be easily changed at any point after all work is done so.

Still, i like to count mexes on other popular maps for reference. Lets take Roanoke, its already 24 mex a player on 3 main islands. Then there are 6 in between your islands which makes it 30. After that, there are 6 more contestable which are in between your and enemy islands. So its more or less same thing as in the concept. Pretty sure there are even more mexes on Point of reach but its not a very good navy map imo.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Postby nine2 » 18 Apr 2017, 11:34

Perhaps half of the expansions in the water? Force early naval fights.
Perhaps force need submarines with underwater mexes
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Morax » 20 Apr 2017, 23:53

So for your map Zelg-cough-PointofReach2-cough-am I suggest you fill up the middle sections a tad more with rich-frigate-range mexes to make early t1 navy relevant so it's not awful-map like Pelagial. I find that one (Pelagial) has comm-drop all over due to the giant dead zone waste-of-space design that leaves someone to missing ACU transport. With more islands and mexes chances of performing a stealth comm drop drastically reduce and increase gameplay intensity:

vZelagm_Morax_Edit.png
vZelagm_Morax_Edit.png (71.64 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby keyser » 20 Apr 2017, 23:59

HO-HO-HO-HO-HOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Morax » 21 Apr 2017, 00:04

keyser wrote:HO-HO-HO-HO-HOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

On a 20km map ? That's like saying you auto-win as sera or aeon on roanoake or PoR xD
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 21 Apr 2017, 05:26

mapping tips by biass ahead:

@morax
Yeah but you have minimal space between islands and insufferable amounts of mexes on the beaches, frigates might stop it yeah but just doing relentless frigspam (roanoke kappa) is never that fun and doesn't stop hover on maps like high noon..

try to avoid super far off islands in each corners, they're never fun, just annoying to reach and then to react to if something happens, like the strange islands on the edges of mesmerising paradise, having a background of water is not a "waste of space" just an aesthetic choice or a compromise to for a map too big for 10km

for spawns, you're saying that you cannot enter the water immediately next to spawn but navy can shoot you/hover arty can shell you? players will hate that typically

be careful with how you place mountains in the way of what is essentially a transport route, as we all know heightmap messes with how you drop bombs, units or otherwise, im sure better players might micro around that but new players wont, gotta throw them into the consideration somewhere

else, good luck with your ideation :)
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Next

Return to Mapping