MMM (Mad-Mozart Maps)

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: MMM (Mad-Mozart Maps)

Postby Petricpwnz » 04 Feb 2018, 19:42

Morax wrote:
Farmsletje wrote:For me some simple cliffs made my beaches way less bland
Spoiler: show

It's a shame your map doesn't get a spot in ladder whatsoever while some absolute garbage maps keep reappearing.

I dunno, perhaps 529348 previous attempts to get his maps into a spotlight that backfired have something to do with it :D
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Morax » 04 Feb 2018, 20:02

Would you prefer to work with him or the people that keep uploading a shit map 57266333 times into the vault?

Also, on topic, I think Mozart shouldn't be constrained to absolute realism as his world is "make-believe." Terrain that works well with the game engine verse reality are two different things.

I love lionhardt's passion but his obsession with perfection oft overrides what works well with the game. It's worked out well for Regor VI and Badlands, but I've yet to see his other maps played much, if at all.

Mozart's head is in the right place where a balance of aesthetics and gameplay work out.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Farmsletje » 04 Feb 2018, 23:25

i dont even like festea anymore because of ugly as f*** mountains but i cant be bothered to fix them feelsbadman
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Mad`Mozart » 05 Feb 2018, 00:10

Well im convinced that there always should be a compromise between a map looking natural and a desired gameplay that you are aiming for, and the latter takes priority. So im going from that direction.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Lionhardt » 05 Feb 2018, 02:21

Morax wrote:
Also, on topic, I think Mozart shouldn't be constrained to absolute realism as his world is "make-believe." Terrain that works well with the game engine verse reality are two different things.

As I said, I am talking about authenticity, not realism. The cliffs on his map are visual features only anyway, so why not make them look as good as possible?

Morax wrote:I love lionhardt's passion but his obsession with perfection oft overrides what works well with the game. It's worked out well for Regor VI and Badlands, but I've yet to see his other maps played much, if at all.

Goodlands didn't catch on much either. Basically only Regor and Crimson Feud did. That has two primary reasons: 1.) I do a lot of experimental map design (Daring Pursuit, Heil's Demise (not released) and Hexa especially) 2.) Regor and Crimson are the only two maps I actually promoted. 1v1 maps do not catch on if they are not promoted in some way, because they need to be put in the ladder pool to actually get played. I did not promote any of my other 1v1 maps because they all are not 100% finished yet. That so why I keep asking for playtesters. For Regor I got sufficient playtest feedback while building it and Crimson has such a simple layout that it did not require any playtesting. So the reason my other maps are played very little is not necessarily because of authentic looking terrain, but probably because I did not promote them and also because I try to push the envelope through experimental map layouts, which sometimes do not turn out as working. But the only design of which I actually know that it did not work is Daring Pursuit... for the others I did not get enough feedback to tell.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Morax » 05 Feb 2018, 07:04

Time verse reward is why you don't make everything look as good as possible.

Currently playing Witcher 3 on the side so supp comm and just about any other game looks like shit. Why bother trying to make it so best as possible when it will not look good anyways? You can only achieve so much with a dated have like this.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Lionhardt » 05 Feb 2018, 07:10

There is a difference between graphics and aesthetics... Those are not the same thing at all.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Postby biass » 05 Feb 2018, 07:27

Yeah im seconding that, Aesthetic style and graphical fidelity are two completely different things, what if witcher 3 was the same total res but was themed to be cyberpunk? You get the point.

About the map, sure mountains are okay, something something too clay or whatever, but your mountains and etc go into the bottom of the water and then just stop, becoming the sea floor with no form of fade in or whatever, typically the water will weather it down overtime, so i think you should consider looking into it.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Mad`Mozart » 05 Feb 2018, 15:16

:D I thought i made it obvious that i havent finished the map. But people still comment on the most glaring inccomplete parts.
Reason i left middle part like that is that i want to put some not mirrored stuff there so im touching it last.

Lionhardt wrote:As I said, I am talking about authenticity, not realism. The cliffs on his map are visual features only anyway, so why not make them look as good as possible?

How would you know that? :roll:
I left some patches of buildable terrain there specifically for sneaky tml behind your base cancer. Nice idea i had while in the middle of making the mountains and deciding how i want them, not the thing i planned initially.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Lionhardt » 05 Feb 2018, 15:41

How would I know that? Because they look it. There is hardly any buildable area there, at most for terrain. And it's not like you can't get buildable area of the size of a tml footprint also on terrain that is merely decorative. So having that little area as to only allow for super small footprint buildings qualifies for decorative only for me.

- Hexagonian Drylands

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor