Morax's Maps

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Morax's Maps

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2016, 21:37

Hi all, so in order to help keep content fresh I'm going to be working with Lionhardt and biass to create some quality maps. The goal will be to resurrect and continue to develop maps like this amazing one created and designed by Deep_. It will take some time to reach that level, but I think between our skill sets, imaginations, and FAF dev team on Slack we can get this accomplished.

Deep_'s original map:

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage

This kind of work sadly has faded.... Unfortunately Deep_ was unable to meet the community's satisfaction with gameplay mechanics and it never gained steam. I'm hoping to apply a "gameplay first" design route and test rigorously before adding this kind of detail.

For those who are interested, please share feedback, ideas, concepts, and things you like about certain maps here for me to follow.

I'll post some tools / concepts I have in the following posts.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Morax's Maps

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2016, 21:50

Playing with map size areas...

10x10 and 20x20 have a huge difference as many people know; in fact, 20x20 is VERY unpopular and usually results in bad gameplay just because of the speed at which armies can tech and emplore "super weapons." There is practically no t1 or t2 phase there....

In order to alleviate some of the dullness and redundancy of 10x10, I'm going to make some 20x20 maps that have playable areas of 13x13, 12x14, etc, etc. For 5x5, I'd like to try a 10x10 with 6x6, 6x8, etc, etc.

My first map concept that I want to eventually reach after gaining some experience with the tools is called "Der Schöpfer"

It will feature navy and land gameplay where there will be important, strategic land points and access to the ocean on the north west and north east sides of the map.

PLEASE NOTE: This concept drawing is not finished and I plan to upload another five iterations adding more and more detail. It's a hand-sketch - hopefully that's obvious - so please excuse the appearance of a lack of symmetry.

If you want to see the full resolution images, go to my imgur acct "TemplePilot85"

http://imgur.com/LXJhfhI

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2016, 22:21

Features of the above map concept:

1) The starting ACU positions will have very little mexes and one hydro to prevent "eco-whore" gameplay
2) The middle structure will be high, have points below where distance builds can be used like on Regor VI mountains to prevent easy turtling
3) (A) points on the ridges will have a designed distance so that t2 stationary artillery will just reach the core mexes/hydro area of some of the players.
4) The north east portion of the map will have beach bombardment access as well as the rear of the middle to northeast direction start positions. This will create an alternative if the ground war is lost.
5) Reclaim caches will exist but it will be much less than traditional team maps so that fighting for mexes is the driving factor, but it wouldn't be a team game map without a little boost. I'll definitely play with reclaim levels during testing.
6) There will be a wide open field opposite the mountains on the southern ridge....

More to come...

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby CookieNoob » 08 Sep 2016, 11:01

wtf how can this map in the op not be one of the popular maps?? Send me the name of the map plz :D

If you like, I can add dynamic spawns and other options to your map once you finished (or explain to you how you can do it yourself)

[EDIT]: better attach it to a forum post, so I can download it at the university :)
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby nine2 » 08 Sep 2016, 11:44

nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby CookieNoob » 08 Sep 2016, 12:10

Anihilnine wrote:Deep_'s post here:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4651&p=50189#p50157

thx, but the file isnt available anymore... can someone who has the map upload it then? (together with the textures ofc)
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby nine2 » 08 Sep 2016, 13:07

you could PM the people who played on it... in that other thread
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby biass » 08 Sep 2016, 13:22

Lion should have it, we can grab it from him and reupload ^.^
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby RocketRooster » 08 Sep 2016, 13:56

Morax wrote:10x10 and 20x20 have a huge difference as many people know; in fact, 20x20 is VERY unpopular and usually results in bad gameplay just because of the speed at which armies can tech and emplore "super weapons." There is practically no t1 or t2 phase there....

In order to alleviate some of the dullness and redundancy of 10x10, I'm going to make some 20x20 maps that have playable areas of 13x13, 12x14, etc, etc. For 5x5, I'd like to try a 10x10 with 6x6, 6x8, etc, etc.

Out of interest, why is the jump made from 10x10 to 20x20 with nothing in between? It's quadruple size. Are these "stock" sizes a built-in limitation of the game engine?
RocketRooster

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Postby biass » 08 Sep 2016, 13:58

RocketRooster wrote:
Morax wrote:10x10 and 20x20 have a huge difference as many people know; in fact, 20x20 is VERY unpopular and usually results in bad gameplay just because of the speed at which armies can tech and emplore "super weapons." There is practically no t1 or t2 phase there....

Out of interest, why is the jump made from 10x10 to 20x20 with nothing in between? It's quadruple size. Are these "stock" sizes a built-in limitation of the game engine?

Yes, they're the starting size of any map, 5k, 10k, 20k, 40k, or 80k
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Next

Return to Mapping