Adaptive maps, next level map creation

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Adaptive maps, next level map creation

Postby CookieNoob » 14 Aug 2017, 14:52

thx for your feedback JoonasTo

Proteus: I made this map as a 3v3 map originally, it turned out to be smaller than expected which makes zthuees too strong unfortunately. I will try to scale up the map a bit (i.e. make it 20x20 with a playable area of 15x15) but I dont have much time atm.

Twilight Hill: last weekend I reworked the ramps and textures on the cliffs to increase visibility of them. The heightmap should be significantly easier to identify in this version compared to the earlier versions (without hurting the look of the map too much).

Metir: thx :D
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby JoonasTo » 14 Aug 2017, 20:01

Yeah, Metir is definitely more fun in 3v3 than 4v4.

Also Twilight is a blast in 2v2. ^^
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 15 Aug 2017, 17:23

adaptive map bundle copy.jpg
adaptive map bundle copy.jpg (688.94 KiB) Viewed 6425 times

Good news everyone,
here are four new toys to play with. My main motivation was to ensure fair playing conditions, which are partly missing even in some frequently played maps. All four maps as well as the resources (marker, props, wrecks, civilians) and spawn points are symmetrical (mirrored/rotated). Even the decals are mirrored if needed. On top of that, all maps come as "Adaptive" version with many optional features (select "game options" and after that sroll down to "advanced" options).

Optional "Adaptive" Features For All 4 Maps:
-Dynamic Spawn Of Resources
Adapt To Player Count
Fixed XvX Setup
Crazyrush 1 Mex
Crazyrush

-No Mirror Player = No Resources
-Forward Crazyrush Mexes
-Add Wrecks/Reclaim (disable, T1 - T3/T4)
-Change Natural Reclaim
+
-Close-Spawn Mex (Lobby player slot option)
-AI Support

Check this out, if you want more information and pics: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=14976
svenni_badbwoi

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 44 times
FAF User Name: svenni_badbwoi

Postby Kiliax » 14 Dec 2017, 18:59

Cookie Noob,
Using your script files from dropbox. Got everything working good except 1 thing - I have a 14 player map and teams work ok up to 12 players. When I use 14 players everyone becomes enemies (FFA). Any clues? If you need to see code how to send you files?

Thanks for all the support man!
Attachments
Pandemonium_10km.v0001.rar
(844.31 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Last edited by Kiliax on 15 Dec 2017, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kiliax
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kiliax

Postby CookieNoob » 14 Dec 2017, 23:32

can you upload the entire map and a log file, so I can check whats wrong? It's really hard to guess it from thin air ;) you can attach files to the forum post or post them via dropbox
CookieNoob
Priest

Postby CookieNoob » 15 Dec 2017, 22:06

not the issue you're trying to solve, but if you name the map like this:
Code: Select all
    name = 'Pandemonium 10km TESTER 2',

you polute the map vault with 10000 versions of the same map. Just call it
Pandemonium 10km
and if you want to upload a new version, dont change the name, just the map_version = X.

then you have the "gather feedback" function active. Thats fine, but you should probably change the name there ;)

also your "naturalReclaimModifier" option is probably not exactly doing what you want... check the value for 8 players (maybe it's missing a 0 there).

The key values of your "middlemex" option are rather strange... you set the defaultkey in the script to 1. In the options file, the option with key = 1 doesnt exist and in your tables file key = 2 does nothing. It would be better to change the table to
middlemass = {{72,73}}
and the options file to
{
    default = 1,
    label = "Middlemex",
    help = "Enable/Disable Middle 2 Mexes",
    key = 'middlemex',
    pref = 'middlemex',
    values = {
        { text = "Enabled", help = "Spawn 2 additional Mexes in the middle.", key = 1, },
        { text = "Disabled", help = "Spawn no additional Mexes in the middle.", key = 2, }
    },
},

To finally come to the problem you're having: The error that occurs is this one
WARNING: BeginSession() failed: e:\gits\fa\lua\sim\scenarioutilities.lua(112): ERROR: Invalid area name
         stack traceback:
            [C]: in function `error'
            e:\gits\fa\lua\sim\scenarioutilities.lua(112): in function `AreaToRect'
            e:\gits\fa\lua\scenarioframework.lua(1172): in function `SetPlayableArea'
            ...s\pandemonium_10km.v0001\pandemonium_10km_script.lua(584): in function `Expand_MapExpand'
            ...s\pandemonium_10km.v0001\pandemonium_10km_script.lua(615): in function `Expand_StartupCheck'
            ...s\pandemonium_10km.v0001\pandemonium_10km_script.lua(62): in function `OnStart'
            e:\gits\fa\lua\siminit.lua(233): in function <e:\gits\fa\lua\siminit.lua:223>
            e:\gits\fa\lua\siminit.lua(357): in function `BeginSession'

The adaptive map script has a function to expand the map at a specific time or when other conditions are met. However, on some maps, the player spawns could eventually be outside of the initially playable area. Therefore, I added a check to test if the positions 13/14 are taken (in one of the adaptive maps they are outside of the smaller playable area). If they are, the map area is set to "AREA_1" (which you didnt define in the save.lua file). Easiest solution would be to just remove the lines 62-64 in the script file:
    if(Expand_StartupCheck()) then
        ForkThread(Expand_MapExpandConditions)
    end

since you dont use the expansion code anyway.

When you upload the map, can you use "Pandemonium ultimate" instead of "Adaptive Pandemonium" plz? ;)
CookieNoob
Priest

Postby Kiliax » 15 Dec 2017, 23:50

WOW, that was a fast test and reply! Impressed. Thanks for the help! Off today, so making changes today and hoping to upload v1 for the weekend. Your awesome. As far as naming, I have not uploaded to vault and in testing I put tester 2 in the name so I can make sure I am testing the files on my computer (my backups although with different folder names and should technically not work or show u in list still how up in list.) When I get a semi-final I delete all my bakups and just have the one. I planned on only naming it Pandemonium 10km (and I apologize for the mess in the vault of my previous maps before I realizd the version naming convention when I was working on Pandamonium 5km v1 etc.) As for your other comments I appreciate them. They ended up that way because thats just how I got the options to work. Middlemex for example, seems strange but the reason it works is because even though it is set as keys 2 and 3, it seems to automatically key them in order so the first option is auto keyed to 1. But I will change code to look proper as well as work proper. Nice job on adding these adaptive features. Really helps in making maps playable for varying playaer quantities.
Kiliax
Crusader

Postby Kiliax » 19 Dec 2017, 23:25

It would be great if you added a third option for your mirror spawn options which would be "normal" and would allow resource spawning as normal. Until/If you make that additional option could you tell me what lines of code to comment out to remove your mirror code? Have tried but always ends up broken. Would be nice to have "normal" option allow uneven player spawn to spawn there resources and NOT spawn xtra resources for mirror spot. On maps where entire team is in central location its nice to allow people to spawn where they choose and the mirror code messes this up as it ends up spawning xtra resources.
Kiliax
Crusader

Postby CookieNoob » 20 Dec 2017, 10:18

Kiliax wrote:It would be great if you added a third option for your mirror spawn options which would be "normal" and would allow resource spawning as normal. Until/If you make that additional option could you tell me what lines of code to comment out to remove your mirror code? Have tried but always ends up broken. Would be nice to have "normal" option allow uneven player spawn to spawn there resources and NOT spawn xtra resources for mirror spot. On maps where entire team is in central location its nice to allow people to spawn where they choose and the mirror code messes this up as it ends up spawning xtra resources.

This option will not be implemented for the simple reason that FAF maps are supposed to be balanced. It's even in the FAF rules. If the map is supposed to be "rated", you cant include this option.

Also you could credit me in the map description when you use my script ;)
CookieNoob
Priest

Postby JoonasTo » 20 Dec 2017, 12:58

Yeah we also tried multiple options to make this happen while playing 3v8 but all options spawn just as many mexes for both sides. Would have been nice to disable some spawns for 3-player side completely because sometimes the 8 player team is so weak that more of a handicap would have been appropriate.

But oh well *shrugs*
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping