Proposal: Novax rework

Re: Proposal: Novax rework

Postby ColonelSheppard » 21 Mar 2013, 19:28

Golo:
1k dmg everywhere on the map, undefendable for the price of a fatboy?
MÖÖÖÖÖÖÖP

and if i want a CZAR and a fatboy i cap an engy and build both
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby zolikk » 21 Mar 2013, 19:44

Golol wrote:@ colonel oh i forgot to write its only for static shields.
@zolikk but in your example i would definetly prefer nukes. i wouldnt use it either.

But then why would you want the current Novax in any way if it's the same and it costs more than twice as much as a nuke. Just because it's completely untouchable?
zolikk
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Golol » 21 Mar 2013, 20:36

@ seppard
well mabye you can increase the cost a bit and it can be sniped.
and against bases its useless.
@ zolikk I dont use the current novax either :D. right now its just totally useless except for counter navy mabye as said before
edit: how about a mix? a satellite can be reproduced and has about 20000-30000 hp. reproducing it costs like 1/4 of the mas of the satellite itself. the mass cost gets increased to about 35000 (not sure about this).
So it can be taken down by any counter air unit. basically it can be seen as a UEF CZAR thats cheaply repdorucable but has less health and less damage.
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Mycen » 22 Mar 2013, 05:48

A change that the Novax really could use right now is to be able to target aircraft. I was going to suggest this for the patch, but I'm not leet enough. :(

How often do you use them Golol? Because I use them fairly regularly, and I really do not understand why people think the Novax is so terrible. As ColonelSheppard, the Novax is already very good against navy, especially unshielded navy. (I crushes build power quite quickly, and each beam is one dead cruiser.) The only issue it has is that it requires a lot of micro to maximize its effectiveness, but it usually requires a fair bit of micro to defend against too, so I think it all balances out.

The idea that it is wrong for the Novax to be indestructible seems logical, but is not actually correct. Long range artillery, especially the Mavor, is 'indestructible' in the same way as the Novax, the Novax simply trades built-in intel and precision for DPS. I think this is a perfectly acceptable trade.

The change proposed in this thread doesn't really make sense to be, because I would RATHER have each satellite get its own building. This increases their resilience, because your opponent has to destroy more than one building to take out more than one satellite, and on maps where Novaxes are being built, space is usually not at a premium.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby Wakke » 22 Mar 2013, 08:46

Just thinking outloud here, but how about giving the satellite a huge energy maintenance cost to stay in the air, and in return buff that thing. If you can't pay the energy for 'x' seconds, the thing falls out the sky.
Wakke

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Valki » 23 Mar 2013, 01:01

Wakke wrote:Just thinking outloud here, but how about giving the satellite a huge energy maintenance cost to stay in the air, and in return buff that thing. If you can't pay the energy for 'x' seconds, the thing falls out the sky.

Kind of pointless, it's the same as making the Novax more expensive if you are going to add mandatory requirements.
Note that the novax is 7 times more expensive than a T3 power plant.
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Postby Tavar » 23 Mar 2013, 01:50

Valki wrote:
Wakke wrote:Just thinking outloud here, but how about giving the satellite a huge energy maintenance cost to stay in the air, and in return buff that thing. If you can't pay the energy for 'x' seconds, the thing falls out the sky.

Kind of pointless, it's the same as making the Novax more expensive if you are going to add mandatory requirements.
Note that the novax is 7 times more expensive than a T3 power plant.

Not quite. If you make it more expensive, once it's built it doesn't matter. If it has ongoing costs, then it's like shields, where economic damage can bring it down.

This might also allow it to be cheaper, as if you need something like 3 or so dedicated T3 power plants, well, those can be factored into the cost of the unit/build time.
Tavar

FAF User Name: Tavar

Postby ColonelSheppard » 23 Mar 2013, 01:55

you are talking of things that wont happen
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby IceDreamer » 23 Mar 2013, 03:11

Sheppard's got it right, Novax is fine. One is underpowered, but as you get multiples it becomes the best strategy in the game.

The only changes which can legitimately, and SHOULD, be considered are:

Continuous beam, same DPS overall
Can target aircraft - Solves ASF swarm problem in one hit
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby LegoGuy » 23 Mar 2013, 03:18

ShadowKnight wrote:The only changes which can legitimately, and SHOULD, be considered are:

Continuous beam, same DPS overall
Can target aircraft - Solves ASF swarm problem in one hit

I second both of those ideas.
LegoGuy
Contributor

FAF User Name: LegoGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622