Rebalancing air, logically.

Re: Rebalancing air, logically.

Postby Raghar » 06 Mar 2013, 21:45

ShadowKnight wrote:Ub3r, as it is a simple change, could you see what happens if RateOfFire of SAMs are doubled along with halved damage? In my head this would not affect VS high HP units, but would reduce overkill VS blobs as they can retarget faster.

Play first game, T3 AA use rapid fire missiles which make both air and T2 AA obsolete.
Raghar
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Raghar

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 06 Mar 2013, 22:26

The issue here is the overkill from all firing on one target. The same is true with torpedos. I think the best solution is to make missiles re target after the target is destroyed by another missile. Maximum on time re-targeting until missile explodes still and if its very close to hitting the original target it should not re target.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby FunkOff » 06 Mar 2013, 22:44

noobymcnoobcake wrote: I think the best solution is to make missiles re target after the target is destroyed by another missile.

lol you make it sound easy. I don't even think missiles can do that in real life.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Pathogenic » 06 Mar 2013, 22:57

FunkOff wrote:
noobymcnoobcake wrote: I think the best solution is to make missiles re target after the target is destroyed by another missile.

lol you make it sound easy. I don't even think missiles can do that in real life.

Ahh, but it is a piece of cake for 37th century missiles!
Pathogenic

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Firestarter » 06 Mar 2013, 23:22

I have a couple of hypotheses which someone with a little more time could easily test in a similar way to the OP:

1) Does significantly increasing SAM missile velocity make SAMs more effective at preventing strat bomber suicides from succeeding? (while keeping DPS the same)

2) Does 'evening out' rate of fire to reduce overkill make SAMs more effective against ASFs (while keeping DPS the same). Does this also slightly decrease their effectiveness VS strat bomber suicides?

If both are true, then the recommendation would be hugely increasing missile velocity and somewhat evened out fire cycle for SAMs.
(note: velocity increase for the missiles is preferable to increased range as range increases would render air useless over a large part of the map, or be used in untouchable 'SAM creep')
Firestarter
Crusader

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Firestarter

Postby FunkOff » 06 Mar 2013, 23:59

Firestarter wrote:
1) Does significantly increasing SAM missile velocity make SAMs more effective at preventing strat bomber suicides from succeeding? (while keeping DPS the same)

It depends on the setup. Generally, however, faster projectiles mean faster kills, but only slightly (less than a second). Also, increasing projectile speed too high can cause projectiles to miss if they don't also get a turn rate increase.

2) Does 'evening out' rate of fire to reduce overkill make SAMs more effective against ASFs (while keeping DPS the same). Does this also slightly decrease their effectiveness VS strat bomber suicides?

Yes, SAMs were beam weapons, they would barely overkill at all. But again, SAMs don't usualyl spend much time shooting, so they'd do less damage with a constant beam over a short time period.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby uberge3k » 07 Mar 2013, 21:48

I'm quite disappointed that no one took my bolded warning seriously.

At any rate, I've added more data, and conclusions drawn from it, to the original post. I have some more number crunching on my end to do before I have a concrete idea of how to proceed.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Wakke » 07 Mar 2013, 22:00

Maybe because claiming that you are the only person who can run FA in his head came across as arrogant? :lol:
Wakke

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby ColonelSheppard » 07 Mar 2013, 22:27

i appreciate this idea
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby FunkOff » 08 Mar 2013, 02:43

Wakke wrote:Maybe because claiming that you are the only person who can run FA in his head came across as arrogant? :lol:

The man makes a fine point.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622