Fixing ASF lag/swarm.

Re: Fixing ASF lag/swarm.

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Feb 2013, 11:24

The problem with ASF is not the production. You can double the cost, you will end up with the same amount in the end (will take a little longer)..

The problem is in the air play mechanic : People don't want to use their ASF, because you can lose them on a single battle, and never recover from that. So they form a big blob of them, and do dumb micro for 10 min of full lag at -5.
What that's remind me... Oh, yes, starcraft 2 (minus the lag). Do you want the same to be like starcraft 2 ? :)

If they were cheaper, but with less HP, that could help (or something like that, didn't put a lot of though).
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Gyle » 16 Feb 2013, 11:36

Ze_PilOt wrote:
If they were cheaper, but with less HP, that could help (or something like that, didn't put a lot of though).

Surely that would mean more planes the map for longer? Honestly I dont see that there is a fix for this issue.
My youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/felixlighta?feature=mhee

"Don't take life too seriously... no one gets out alive."
Gyle

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 28 times
FAF User Name: Gyle

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Feb 2013, 11:56

The idea is that fight would last less longer, the ASF count will decrease faster, and there will be no real reason to micro like crazy. The loss of all your air wouldn't be so dramatic, so you wouldn't think twice before engaging the enemy.

Making them costlier was already tried for 3603, the only thing it change is making them appear later (which is good), but not in less quantity.

The problem for me is not making tons of them (you probably do more T1 in most of the ladder maps), but not using them.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby rootbeer23 » 16 Feb 2013, 12:06

Ze_PilOt wrote:Making them costlier was already tried for 3603, the only thing it change is making them appear later (which is good), but not in less quantity.

there is a fundamental difference of an increase in energy cost versus an increase in mass cost.
well at least as long as mass fabricators dont play a major role... mass is usually limited by the map and energy
is usually produced to equal the mass income. thats why higher energy cost delays unit production, but higher mass cost limits the rate at which units are produced.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Feb 2013, 12:12

Making them more costlier, less easy to spam (and by extension, less easy to recover from a lost fight), will just force the players to accumulate them even more than now. Because well, you don't want to risk them, do you ?
I don't think it will solve anything.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby rootbeer23 » 16 Feb 2013, 12:16

reduce the wreckage from air units and people will be more trigger happy.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Feb 2013, 12:21

That could make sense yes. Not very hard to do either (it's in the blueprint)
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Bibblson » 16 Feb 2013, 12:40

What about giving air units wreaks only 50% mass, and/or let it cost energy to relaim them?
Bibblson
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Bibblson

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Feb 2013, 12:41

That can be tried.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Arkansas » 16 Feb 2013, 14:00

Reduce fuel capacity so people can't fly them around madly and actually put them down sometimes. Look at current high performance aircraft, they have far less fuel capacity than low performance because fuel is weight.
Arkansas

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Arkansas

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622