Make T1 artillery deployables

Re: Make T1 artillery deployables

Postby Eukanuba » 18 Feb 2013, 01:00

Without T1 arty, T1 land battles would be solely about spamming tanks. T1 uberspam is already ubiquitous, reducing it to a pure numbers game would be pretty boring and even less about positioning and tactics.

And it makes more sense for the T3 arty to need to deploy: it's got a massive gun with huge recoil, also from a gameplay perspective T3 arty would be very OP if you could just patrol outside a base lobbing 3000 damage in every few seconds - as it is you need to support the T3 arty and take time to make it relatively secure.
Eukanuba
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby MushrooMars » 18 Feb 2013, 03:01

I agree that if you don't look at strategic zoom, you don't have long-range radar and you don't have AA countermeasures, you deserve to get arty dropped in your eco, but most people don't.

Personally, I would like to see deployable, long-ranged arty. But that's just me, and I prefer extremes.
MushrooMars

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: MushrooMars

Postby Aranbaal » 18 Feb 2013, 18:42

Artie spam requires serious address as it stands. The point gyle raises is a very valid on and i myself submitted an near identical thing in the GW questionnaire.

As it stands T1 artie is the ultimate T1 unit. Can fire longer range than anything else and do that while moving. An automated deploy system when it stops moving a counter begins would fix almost all issues with them. Then they no longer take on the role of Best T1 unit and become a support unit for doing a fixed role, Needing a player to provide cover for them while they do what is needed. Makes them a much more strategic unit rather than just something you spam out to take on all comers. Artillery is a support unit, always has been always will be. Even in this game it is at T2 and T3. It just makes no sense and is a little game braking that T1 is a front line thing and not actually artillery.

Am guessing that most of the people who are against this are the same people who base there early game around the use of OP artie units. From a game play stand point it makes much more sense and puts them into a proper role to give them this deploy feature. I also believe they should not be able to deploy on water. These two things combined would go along way to stopping Phim being THE choice in tourneys on maps with water and bring more of the other races back into play.
Aranbaal
Contributor

FAF User Name: Aranbaal

Postby rxnnxs » 18 Feb 2013, 19:18

Eukanuba wrote:And it makes more sense for the T3 arty to need to deploy: it's got a massive gun with huge recoil, also from a gameplay perspective T3 arty would be very OP if you could just patrol outside a base lobbing 3000 damage in every few seconds

That the T3 Arty has to stand still because of the recoil is not making more sense than so many other things. We should not talk about realism here.. But because you brought it in - the T3 Arty is somehow a bit heavier.
And it is not as accurate as the tiny T1 Arty. But of course the T3 Arty has to stay as it is. That's ok.

Make the T1 Arty slower or even a stand and shoot weapon,
OR give the unit higher reload times
AND/OR let the projectiles travel slower.
Because the T1 Arty even hits moving targets easily!

Just think about how fast you have to react when T1 Arty is attacking a fortification.
Its not counterable so fast it is.

Think about T3 Arty.. It is much easier to counter that.

A fast paced game comes to a slower paced on the ground.
Meanwhile the battles in the air are going faster and further.
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby Niernen » 19 Feb 2013, 02:11

Perhaps a better solution would be to increase the firing randomness across all factions as a realistic side effect of shooting from a mobile platform. This reduces the likelihood of a few of these completely demolishing bases but still allows them to be highly effective against massed forces and larger structures, which is how the artillery should act.
Niernen
Crusader

FAF User Name: Niernen

Postby Swkoll » 19 Feb 2013, 05:31

Does anyone have a replay showing that t1 arty spam can't be countered? Also, if it's the fobo that's the problem, why can't we just nerf it a bit?
"Only the fear of the hypnotoad is preventing me from raging right now." - ColonelSheppard
"Swkoll is a genius, let's accept this and move on" - VoR_Gorton
Swkoll
Contributor

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Swkoll

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 19 Feb 2013, 05:40

Again, a good group of LAB and some decent micro shreds t1 arty. They are also fast to respond to drops. Why not keep a group of 10 or so in your base if you are anticipating arty drops? There are already good counters to every type of t1 and t2 attack.
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby -_V_- » 19 Feb 2013, 10:26

This shall never pass, no way :)

Counter arty spamm ?
t1 bomber will decimate them for a fraction of their mass, even if you have AA.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Kryo » 19 Feb 2013, 10:57

Make T1 artillery deployables

no pls never
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby InnocentInstinct » 19 Feb 2013, 16:22

ColonelSheppard wrote:I'm against this, it would make the T1 game more static and auroras op

I agree completely. Do not want. There's a first time in history for everything. ;) Besides, there would be fewer possibilities for early drops, and lets be honest, those really liven the game up.
"Those who are unwilling to kill will always be at the mercy of those who are." -Colonel Graff (Ender's Game)
InnocentInstinct

FAF User Name: Ancile_Industries

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622