Aircraft carriers changes.

Re: Aircraft carriers changes.

Postby ColonelSheppard » 19 Feb 2013, 15:39

off topic\
jabwd wrote:What about the czar, related to the atlantis shouldn't the production speed be about the same or is this totally disproportional since we're talking about different battlegrounds and the czar is used more as a taliban than a builder anyways? :P

do you see good players using CZAR? = yes
do you see good players using Atlantis? = no
/off topic
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Niernen » 19 Feb 2013, 17:47

To those discussing the weakness of the Cybran carrier: what if a high end jamming system was added? Yes, the cybran already have the Mermaid, but I think a unit like a carrier would logically have more defenses, and this would fit in with the cybran's style (whether or not jamming is useful).

Also, I'd like to see the air staging function become more important for these. I realize that is more of a change to aircraft than to the carrier, but I think tactically it would go a long way into seeing these used a lot more.
Niernen
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Niernen

Postby CocoaMoko » 19 Feb 2013, 18:59

ColonelSheppard wrote:
jabwd wrote:I fail to see where an atlantis which is a monster at eating up subhunters is too weak? The only units I like throwing at an atlantis are the T3 subs of phim

you made my day

Because usually navals in late game aren't comprised of a ton of sub hunters but rather a handful of subhunters, battelships, cruisers, destroyers, and battlecruisers for uef / t3 subs for sera. The atlantis may destroy subhunters easily, but it simple chips away at the HP of these ACTUAL threats.
CocoaMoko

FAF User Name: CocoaMoko

Postby Mycen » 22 Feb 2013, 07:34

What map size are the changes suggested at the start of this thread considered for? Because when I play games on 40x40 or 81x81 naval maps, I certainly want my carriers to be able to replenish my air fleet in a useful fashion regardless of my faction. I was always under the impression that, since they can't do anything and move at the same time, (a truly appropriate fix) carriers in supcom are meant more as a type of naval mobile factory. Reducing their build speed would be at odds with this role. This applies to everyone, including Cybrans. (There aren't any hives in the middle of the ocean.)

And speaking of the Cybrans, I understand that the Cybran carrier's AA is weak, but isn't its reduced cost meant to counterbalance that? Considering that Cybrans have air staging on their cruisers, it seems clear that the Cybran carrier is meant primarily to construct replacement aircraft close to the front line rather than act as a part of the offensive fleet. The other factions don't have naval stealth, so their Carriers have more powerful AA to destroy scouts before they're discovered, but the Cybrans have the Mermaid, making powerful AA less important.

Factional differences, brahs.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby Batmansrueckkehr » 22 Feb 2013, 10:33

stealth makes aa less important?

did you ever had a intense sea battle? 15 frigates on each side rolling in, behind them the destroyers and cruiser and battleships and some carriers. then the torp bomber come in (hoping that the cruisers are taken out), only the carriers are left because of their high hp. in that case, even if u have tons of stealth boats, they are useless but good aa is important.

on setons or any other big navy map, you have such fights. stealth is only good at the start - in late game where you produce battleships and carriers and tons of frigates, it is less important BUT powerfull aa is.
UET_bat
Batmansrueckkehr

FAF User Name: batmansrueckkehr

Postby Sethewho » 22 Feb 2013, 15:29

Don't you dare touch air carriers, if anything make them cost less mass. Not to mention carriers that aren't all equal is just such a huge disadvantage to the cybran faction as if they already don't have the short end of the stick.
Sethewho
Crusader

FAF User Name: Sethewho

Postby ColonelSheppard » 22 Feb 2013, 15:39

to make this clear once and forever:
Atlantis does not own T3 subhunters!
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ICKEN » 22 Feb 2013, 19:53

ColonelSheppard wrote:Atlantis does not own T3 subhunters!

wrong.
its the best navy wise counter in the game to t3 subs. put 5 - 10 t2 torpboats infront of the atlantis and not a SINGLE torp from the subhunters will hit. you also cant send destroyers without frigs so this is just a normal move....

i agree that atlantis could use a buildpower buff and maybe a slight dps increase.

lappen made a great suggestion. as a cybran player you dont need a ac with allot of buildpower. what they really need is something to defend against air. they have the worst cruiser against air and no shields. all other factions have better cruisers, shields, or hover flaks... .

the only problem is see atm is that the aa of the cybran ac literally hits nothing.
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what i say
ICKEN

Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: ICKEN

Postby ColonelSheppard » 22 Feb 2013, 20:04

ahm i now that coopers own suphunters, hower you can't say t1 scout couters Lab if it has a tank infront of it
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ICKEN » 22 Feb 2013, 20:11

ColonelSheppard wrote:ahm i now that coopers own suphunters, hower you can't say t1 scout couters Lab if it has a tank infront of it

you dont need the sub boats for shooting you just need their anti torp system and the range of the atlantis. time will do the rest...
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what i say
ICKEN

Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: ICKEN

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622