Aircraft carriers changes.

Re: Aircraft carriers changes.

Postby ColonelSheppard » 17 Feb 2013, 15:02

true, the atlantis is atm completely useless (it already was useless befored, but because it was ignored for some reason at the last carrier buff, it is not COMPLETELY useless)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby pip » 18 Feb 2013, 16:50

ColonelSheppard wrote:true, the atlantis is atm completely useless (it already was useless befored, but because it was ignored for some reason at the last carrier buff, it is not COMPLETELY useless)

It was not ignored, it also got a much longer range (+25=100 ), like the others, with a tracking weapon and it already had much more DPS. It's a super strong anti air platform which is good to get veterancy fast.

What you seem to ignore is that UEF t3 navy is super mega strong, even with a so so Atlantis. Their battleship is insane, their battlecruiser too. The Atlantis is a support Experimental, it's not meant to be uber powerful. Also, try to protect an Atlantis with a UEF SCU equipped with 52 000 HP bubble shield and tell me that Atlantis, or UEF t3 navvy, needs a buff.
Some faction comparison : Seraphim doesn't even have a naval experimental... People playing them complain about not having a t3 sonar and others just tell them : faction diversity... So don't whine too much please ;-)
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby brn4meplz » 18 Feb 2013, 18:11

No factions battleship is good. So that's a moot point. You can't break shields with a battleship alone.

The battle cruiser is a 7k mass 25k hp naval supremacy unit and it's good. UEF t3 navy is the battle cruiser and t2 units like the cruiser and cooper. You only build a battleship to fire over small hills and shores.

The Atlantis got a range increase but it still has low dps compared to cheaper carriers. Most of its tracking dps is wasted by the time a target finally dies.

And yes it has good torps but when you pay 12k mass for something you kinda expect it to be worth it.

The Argument that seraphim has no naval exp is the same that neither does Cybran, UEF has no air experimental. That is faction diversity.

Most t3 navy is just lots more t2 navy. The exception is UEF and Aeon, but the change to the Torrent made an underused unit less appealing.

I'm just saying that a change to make carriers more appealing should affect the Atlantis, it is a carrier.
brn4meplz
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: brn4meplz

Postby Batmansrueckkehr » 18 Feb 2013, 18:53

atlantis is a counter vs subs. it strenght is not the dps (which is ok) but its amount of hp. same for battleships. the deal is not to get as much dps as possible but to get a lot of hp. it is hard to destroy a battleship - it is kinda a shield for the rest.

ofc best would be to spam frigates only. best ration of hp and dps - but build time and the problem that all frigates cant shoot at the same time at the target (because they stand in the way each other) makes a battleship pay off.

uef cruiser + shield boat is best air killer. no need for atlantis to take over that job.
UET_bat
Batmansrueckkehr

FAF User Name: batmansrueckkehr

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 18 Feb 2013, 19:13

pip wrote:
ColonelSheppard wrote:true, the atlantis is atm completely useless (it already was useless befored, but because it was ignored for some reason at the last carrier buff, it is not COMPLETELY useless)

It was not ignored, it also got a much longer range (+25=100 ), like the others, with a tracking weapon and it already had much more DPS. It's a super strong anti air platform which is good to get veterancy fast.

What you seem to ignore is that UEF t3 navy is super mega strong, even with a so so Atlantis. Their battleship is insane, their battlecruiser too. The Atlantis is a support Experimental, it's not meant to be uber powerful. Also, try to protect an Atlantis with a UEF SCU equipped with 52 000 HP bubble shield and tell me that Atlantis, or UEF t3 navvy, needs a buff.
Some faction comparison : Seraphim doesn't even have a naval experimental... People playing them complain about not having a t3 sonar and others just tell them : faction diversity... So don't whine too much please ;-)

But what I would expect from an experimental aircraft carrier, is that it would be a bit better in building aircraft than it is now, compared to the other T3 aircraft carriers.

The atlantis costs 3.333 times as much as a normal T3 aircraft carrier, but it is only 1.333 times as powerful in building aircraft...
I know that it also is a proper experimental submarine, but right now it is a bit lousy at being an experimental aircraft carrier.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby jabwd » 19 Feb 2013, 14:05

I fail to see where an atlantis which is a monster at eating up subhunters ( t2 cybran and aeon ) is too weak? The only units I like throwing at an atlantis are the T3 subs of phim which I think are a bit too strong at times.

I think currently for the amount of support, lack of unit cap requirements and building capacity, carriers are fine as they are. You don't need an expensive T3 air factory with 200 engi's around it to be of some good help with building air while maintaining your strength in your navy.
Last edited by jabwd on 19 Feb 2013, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
jabwd

FAF User Name: Excite

Postby ColonelSheppard » 19 Feb 2013, 14:15

jabwd wrote:I fail to see where an atlantis which is a monster at eating up subhunters is too weak? The only units I like throwing at an atlantis are the T3 subs of phim

you made my day
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby rootbeer23 » 19 Feb 2013, 14:21

Plasma_Wolf wrote:But what I would expect from an experimental aircraft carrier, is that it would be a bit better in building aircraft than it is now, compared to the other T3 aircraft carriers.

The atlantis costs 3.333 times as much as a normal T3 aircraft carrier, but it is only 1.333 times as powerful in building aircraft...
I know that it also is a proper experimental submarine, but right now it is a bit lousy at being an experimental aircraft carrier.

but it allows you to make a surprise air attack behind enemy lines :D
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby ColonelSheppard » 19 Feb 2013, 15:04

yeah, because when you have an atlantis you enemys surely came not to the idea to build a sonar...

personal stealth and clock would be something funny for atlantis (but ofc not UEF style :/)
i think just giving it the same buffs (relative) like the other carriers would be the solution
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby jabwd » 19 Feb 2013, 15:25

What about the czar, related to the atlantis shouldn't the production speed be about the same or is this totally disproportional since we're talking about different battlegrounds and the czar is used more as a taliban than a builder anyways? :P
jabwd

FAF User Name: Excite

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622