Scathis.

Re: Scathis.

Postby ColonelSheppard » 20 Feb 2013, 07:51

whats the current status?
do we make other gameenders usefull or scatis useless again?
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby peanot » 20 Feb 2013, 12:27

Personally, I would love to see more Mavors and Salvations. Not to the degree where they are used every second game, but right now it does seem they are only build, when hand fulls of GCs are already roaming the battlefield.

Also, while I do not play in any kind of high level games, it seems to me, that with some scouting one can see the Scathis early enough to either end the game before it is build(with all that mass you got because you aren't building one) or at least find a way to destroy it before it can do damage.

However, I do also like the idea of turning it into more of a siege unit, however, Cybran already have two land T4.
peanot

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: peanot

Postby noms » 20 Feb 2013, 13:38

If...

A disruptor costs mass 87k, energy 870k, dps 460, and range 700

A scathis needs to cost much more than 87k otherwise people will ALWAYS go for scathis over T3 arty on 10x10 maps which are the most popular size played in team games.

Risk vs reward

The risk is that scathis (or perhaps your comm) will get sniped while building it, but the reward is almost guaranteed victory if you can keep it alive for a few minutes and within range of enemy bases. Bear in mind with the next balance patch stationary shields will be stronger so a single T3 arty probably won't be able to break through a heavily shielded base. You will probably need 2-3 T3 arty to get the same effect as a single Scathis.

Current: mass 63k, energy 780k, dps 1580, range 330, max speed 1

Proposed: mass 126k, energy 1890k-2520k, dps 1580, range 330, max speed 1

The revised energy figure is 20 times the mass (126k x 20 = 2520k). This is the same ratio of E to M that the salvation and mavor uses. If this figure proves too high it can be reduced to 15x M cost (1890k energy).
noms

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: noms

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Feb 2013, 14:32

Again, it's not because the T3 arties are broken that we must aligned everything on them.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby uberge3k » 20 Feb 2013, 19:26

For the price of a scathis, you can have 49 bricks. How can you defend the scathis against those 49 bricks? Or the 10 that enter your base and murder the scathis before it's even built?

Play offensively, on maps that are more complex than "50 mex and one choke point", stop expecting to be able to magically turtle and survive against a 50-brick advantage from your enemy, and I think you'll find that the scathis isn't effective.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby JeeVeS » 20 Feb 2013, 22:30

noms wrote:...10x10 maps which are the most popular size played in team games.

Really? Where's the data for that assertion? What size do you think Seton's is? It amazes me how you are completely unable to distinguish the real game of FA from your beloved microcosm Isis.
JeeVeS

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: IridiumBLOWS

Postby noms » 20 Feb 2013, 23:27

uberge3k wrote:For the price of a scathis, you can have 49 bricks. How can you defend the scathis against those 49 bricks? Or the 10 that enter your base and murder the scathis before it's even built?

Play offensively, on maps that are more complex than "50 mex and one choke point", stop expecting to be able to magically turtle and survive against a 50-brick advantage from your enemy, and I think you'll find that the scathis isn't effective.

This would never happen in a real game. A smart player would not build a scathis until after they built a strong enough defence (T3 pd, T4 bots, shields etc).
Last edited by noms on 21 Feb 2013, 05:54, edited 4 times in total.
noms

Postby noms » 20 Feb 2013, 23:31

JeeVeS wrote:
noms wrote:...10x10 maps which are the most popular size played in team games.

Really? Where's the data for that assertion? What size do you think Seton's is? It amazes me how you are completely unable to distinguish the real game of FA from your beloved microcosm Isis.

Click on "Find Games" or "Replays - Live Games" and look at the maps people are playing.

Not many setons games. Much more 10x10 map games...
noms

Postby Bhaal » 20 Feb 2013, 23:59

Every faction should have a gameender!

Cybrans scathis should have the same range as the mavor oder aeon rapid fire arty and do about the same damage.

Everything else will make cybran t3 arty obsolete or will be overpowered on small maps. Why even bother with such a stupid discussion and trying to balance this in such a stupid way?

Scathis should be a gameender like the other ones. Not only on small maps!
Bhaal
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Bhaal

Postby Ze_PilOt » 21 Feb 2013, 00:04

Except that the mavor never ended any (real) game.
And never saw a paragon in a 20x20 map-not FFa/phantom either.
And actually, never saw a scathis since vanilla before that range/mass nerf.

It's not because the T3 arties are broken that you must align the other units that work on the units that doesn't.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3622