SD and shields... very confused!

Moderator: RK4000

SD and shields... very confused!

Postby piratep2r » 04 Mar 2014, 15:59

Hi! Just played this mod for the first time a few days ago and am very confused about shield mechanics. I've read through the forums here and can't find anything explaining it (my apologies if I missed it).

TLDR question: How are shields functioning right now? Why are some shields basically invulnerable while others are standard? Also, how is this not an incredible debuff to cybran, who lack any sort of mobile shield?

Observations:

My tier 3 UEF shield building seems to be completely immune to T3 heavy arty and TM. As in, while under heavy bombardment I observed no damage fluctuation on the shield bar.

My Fatboy's shield seems close to normal - under artillery fire it fell quite quickly. Maybe it was tougher than normal, but certainly not a crazy amount tougher.

A set of 4 AI controlled t3 mobile Sera shields held for almost a minute under the fire of an entire UEF T3 land army, an entire Sera T3 land army, 2 Sera Chicken Experimentals, and a strong firing line of of UEF T3 and T2 PD. Holy cow! What does it take to kill those things?!? My buddy and I must have done well over a million damage to them!

A set of 40 allied cybran t3 mobile arty could not break a T2 aeon shield generator

I know that aeon T2 mobile shields are NOT invulnerable to damage. Again, they may be a bit tougher, but nothing like the millions of damaged absorbed by the inexplicably powerful other shields mentioned here.

I could list more little strange shields moments, but I'll stop. Basically, I am confused (not complaining) about shields are supposed to be working, so I am having difficulty deciding whether I like the changed mechanic. However, if shields are supposed to be <essentially> invulnerable unless you get a unit inside of them it seems to be a heavy nerf to any attacking cybran faction.

Thanks for working on this mod!

-P
piratep2r
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: piratep2r

Re: SD and shields... very confused!

Postby RoundTabler » 04 Mar 2014, 16:56

There appears to be a problem. Shields are not supposed to work like that. Actually, they have been nerfed in FAF. Overlapping shields now take 15% of the damage applied to the first shield. Are you using any mods, like invulnerable shields, advanced shields, or any other mod that makes super shields?
Avantgarde: bug reports go to you [zep] via PM?
Ze_PilOt_: no
Ze_PilOt_: never.

Ze_PilOt: FA is not about being in a comfort zone all the time.
I think the game you want to play is Starcraft 2.
RoundTabler
Contributor

Has liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: RoundTabler

Postby piratep2r » 04 Mar 2014, 17:27

Hi RT,

No mods at all (besides SD via FAF), without even UI mods. We were playing against a cheaty sorian AI, but that should have nothing to do with actual unit characteristics (like HP) AFAIK. My brother was thinking that maybe the refresh time was screwed up somehow, and some shields had instantaneous refresh characteristics, while others did not.

I think I could replicate it and upload a replay if that would help; alternatively, if it is a shared problem, a simple match against a sorian AIX sera on field of isis should show you what happens.

-P
piratep2r
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: piratep2r

Postby RK4000 » 22 Mar 2014, 15:33

This seems to be an issue with overlapping shields. Will look into it.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby RK4000 » 25 Mar 2014, 15:57

The bug has now been fixed. Thanks for reporting!
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Return to Supreme Destruction