Randomly Generated Maps for GW

Re: Randomly Generated Maps for GW

Postby Duck_42 » 05 Jun 2014, 02:44

@partytime,

All of the maps I've previously uploaded to the vault are 20x20. The maps I generated for GW include 5x5, 10x10, and 20x20.
Duck_42

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Duck_42

Postby nine2 » 05 Jun 2014, 04:06

Duck_42 wrote:@partytime,

All of the maps I've previously uploaded to the vault are 20x20. The maps I generated for GW include 5x5, 10x10, and 20x20.

Can I have some 5s and 10s ? I'll play on them now with my friend. We dont play 20s
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Duck_42 » 05 Jun 2014, 05:25

@partytime,

Ok, I generated some 5x5s and uploaded them to the vault.

"Stafar Gamma Minor"
"Itania VII"
Duck_42

Postby nine2 » 05 Jun 2014, 06:59

The terrain is really quite awesome, I'm a big fan of what you have accomplished here and I will definitely play on this.

Although... I haven't seen much diversity in terms of mexes and reclaim?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Ze_PilOt » 05 Jun 2014, 19:52

These maps look decent enough to be integrated to GW indeed.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Duck_42 » 06 Jun 2014, 02:11

@partytime,

I haven't seen much diversity in terms of mexes and reclaim

Right now, there are three "types" of mass spots that are placed on a randomly generated map:

Starting point mass spots
Each player will always get 4 of these mass spots.

Starting area mass spots
Each player will get a random number of these near their base. The amount varies from 0 to 5, but it will be the same number for all players (if player A gets 5 of these, than all other players get 5 around their start point too). These mass spots will be positioned randomly around the starting points. However, they are positioned so that all player's have an equal distance to travel.

Randomly placed mass spots
The amount varies from 0 to 7 multiplied by the number of players on the map. These mass spots are distributed randomly at first. Then, an algorithm re-positions them in an attempt to achieve a balance between the players. Unfortunately, my algorithm for this still needs some work. As a consequence, these mass spots are not always placed fairly.

Reclaim is much simpler. Each player gets between 1k and 5k of mass reclaim (usually in a boring circle) around their start point. At some point, I may use the mass spot placement algorithm to distribute reclaim as well (preferably after it's been improved).

@Zep,

Do you have a list of names for the GW planets? If so, I can rename the maps accordingly. Also, I need to know how best to get this pack of 150 maps to you (or whomever will be incorporating them into GW).
Duck_42

Postby Szakalot » 06 Jun 2014, 08:40

Don't bother with reclaim! This game is fine already with the reclaim in a circle; or some predetermined location. Random rocks around the map will make people whine even more (it was so much easier for the opponent to get his 'distant reclaim' than us), unless its one big piece in the centre of the map
Szakalot

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Szakalot

Postby nine2 » 06 Jun 2014, 12:20

Szakalot wrote:Don't bother with reclaim! This game is fine already with the reclaim in a circle; or some predetermined location. Random rocks around the map will make people whine even more (it was so much easier for the opponent to get his 'distant reclaim' than us), unless its one big piece in the centre of the map

It would be nice if reclaim was more natural. It's the same on every map ... a bit dull!

However you are right that it can be closer for some than others ... even if it was the same distance from the player starting location, if there is a cliff in the way, that makes a big difference. As you can see, the map Ledan is not equal.

So... we need some pathfinding please Duck :)
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Duck_42 » 07 Jun 2014, 01:32

It would be nice if reclaim was more natural.

I agree. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to that soon.

So... we need some pathfinding

I agree. When do you think you'll be able to code that for us partytime? :D

I should point out here that I'm not really aiming for total symmetry/equality with these maps. Minor differences in starting points help to make the game more varied. Minor imbalances will only affect the outcome of a small percentage of games. Skilled players will evaluate their position on the map and adapt accordingly.

That being said, the map generator is capable of producing perfectly symmetric maps as well. I just haven't bothered to make any totally symmetric map templates. Any volunteers? :D
Duck_42

Postby nine2 » 07 Jun 2014, 17:59

I wonder if you could generate many maps that are all very similar to each other. This way you could create a planetry look and feel and each time you jump in, it's a slightly different map. Eg: Sometimes there is a river, but there are always big shiny green mountains, and there are lots of purple lakes. There are no trees.

Since GW has so many new unknown maps, I wonder if my strategic preview could be used in GW to show users what they are getting into before they jump in. Or interestingly, they could buy the intel using a credit. Eg: Strategic preview of the computer generated map Ledan XI:

Shows cliffs, water, reclaim. More info: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7573

With these two ideas we could generate a new map on the fly just before jumping in, and hit the ground running when we get there.

p.s. Ledan has a water bug, some of the hexagons on the right hand side ... the water flickers on and off as you zoom in and out.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

PreviousNext

Return to Galactic War