Major Bug - I want my character back!

Major Bug - I want my character back!

Postby IceDreamer » 22 Jan 2014, 14:04

So I was defending (Technically counterattacking I think) planet 106 with Hawkei. He left me alone to go to 880. Shortly after, the game launched, presumerably as I had been attacked. However, instead of the normal screen, it simply took me to the Forged Alliance main menu. As I scratched my head, the game died without a trace: I did NOT press quit.

about 30 seconds later, I get a popup "Notice from server - Your avatar died in the war, pick a new name"

I was not in a fight
I was not in game
I had an autorecall bought and paid for
I cannot have actually died because it took less than 30 seconds
I am in no way responsible for this

My game logs are attached. I want my Avatar back :(

EDIT:

After writing this player po5tal contacted me on Aeolus claiming he was the Cybran who had attacked me, and that he had ALSO died. He was the squad leader, and his underling has apparently come out of this unscathed.
Attachments
logs.zip
(42.41 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Major Bug - I want my character back!

Postby po5tal » 22 Jan 2014, 14:23

My logs.
Everything same like IceDreamer wrote. ^.^
Attachments
logs.7z
(19.34 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
po5tal
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: po5tal

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Jan 2014, 15:37

I can't confirm what you've said looking at your logs.

I see FunkOff going into a game and reporting you as dead.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby IceDreamer » 22 Jan 2014, 16:15

Tell us how to confirm it and I'll do my best. I've not used the new avatar for anything requiring credits or gaining credits or battling to keep it fresh just in case.

EDIT:

The old avatar's name is Janella Haddad and it was rank 3, in case that helps.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Jan 2014, 16:42

I don't give back avatar. I only fix bugs.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby IceDreamer » 22 Jan 2014, 17:06

So you think it is OK for a potentially character-breaking bug to remain in, and go uninvestigated? Bullshit you do.

This is YOUR fault PilOt. YOUR program has a glitch or bug somewhere in the code which has caused this to happen. Are you going to pay more attention when it happens to a rank 7 or rank 8 commander? Rest assured, if it's happened once it can happen again, and WILL happen again. I don't believe you're the kind of person, the kind of programmer, who believe it's OK for this kind of thing to happen.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Jan 2014, 17:11

IceDreamer wrote:So you think it is OK for a potentially character-breaking bug to remain in, and go uninvestigated? Bullshit you do.

This is YOUR fault PilOt. YOUR program has a glitch or bug somewhere in the code which has caused this to happen. Are you going to pay more attention when it happens to a rank 7 or rank 8 commander? Rest assured, if it's happened once it can happen again, and WILL happen again. I don't believe you're the kind of person, the kind of programmer, who believe it's OK for this kind of thing to happen.

You are here to beta test & provide information to debug. You didn't provided the necessary log I need to do so.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby IceDreamer » 22 Jan 2014, 17:13

Then investigate further, that's your job. Look up my character name in your logs server side. Look up the history, look up what happened. TELL ME how best I can help. Tell me to check for other logs kept elsewhere, theories over what might cause the game launch to go to the main menu instead of the connecting screen. The potential here is for a bug which could break GW completely if it becomes more common, I'd have thought you would be more concerned about it.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Jan 2014, 17:21

No, it's not my job. I do this on my free time.

I'm telling you that in the server log, FunkOff reported you as died, after a successful game launch. No problem server side.

The logs I need are stated in the appropriate sticky on this forum.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4801

In this case, you didn't gave me a game.log.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby IceDreamer » 22 Jan 2014, 17:22

I zipped the whole folder...

Just DLed and checked it, game.log is inside, 55,230 bytes. What do you mean I didn't provide it...

EDIT: Dammit, I see now, the Cybran guy didn't give you a game.log. I'll get him to go find it if he can.

The game DID launch correctly, as in forgedalliance.exe DID launch, but it took me to the main menu instead of the Setting up connection/setting up automatch screen I usually get. I never saw that. Can your server side logs, or even these logs, tell the difference between main menu launch and matchmaking launch?

Also what do you mean FunkOff reported me as died? Where does FunkOff come into this?
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to Galactic War