Auto-recall and Proposed Meta-game Elements

Auto-recall and Proposed Meta-game Elements

Postby Hawkei » 17 Jan 2014, 04:05

G'day,

Firstly, I'd like to say that I really appreciate the effort that has gone into the Galactic War. I especially would like to thank ZeP for his efforts in making this project come to life.

Also, I appreciate that we might still be in the bug fixing stage. So additions and balance changes may not be implemented or considered at this time. However, I would still like to table these ideas for discussion - with a view to implementation at a later date.

Auto-Recall and Gameplay.

Essentially, I think that Auto-recall is too cheap for what it actually does. Especially considering that it's equivalent cost in reinforcements would not even pay for two T3 Bots. Meaning that the use of reinforcements exclusively for character assassination is no longer viable. Considering the likelihood that no senior commander will be entering combat without an auto-recall.

The combination of heavy reinforcements, high skill, and auto-recall - means that many high ranking commanders are basically "untouchable". Because they are difficult to kill, and killing them bears nothing more than the 500cr spend on the auto-recall.

I would propose to remedy this situation by:
1. Increasing the cost of auto-recall;
2. Creating a mechanism which limits to how often it can be used;
3. Creating gameplay elements which are able to prevent it from being used.

Suggested New Gameplay Elements.
I would recommend that additional planetary defence structures be introduced. Which are outside of the standard in-game building schematics - and have impacts on both gameplay and the meta-game. These structures would actually appear in the game, and destroying them would disable their special in-game features.

Level 1 Interceptor Satellite Control Tower.
An orbital satellite intercepts reinforcement transports. Prevents reinforcements from being called into the battlefield.

Level 2 Aerial Interceptor Satellite Control Tower.
This satellite not only intercepts reinforcement transports - but it will effectively prevent the construction of any air units. It will force the attackers to assault the planet without the use of air units (until it is destroyed).

Level 1 Auto Recall Jamming Array.
Just as the Seraphim used in Operation Meltdown to kill Elite Commander Dostya. This array will prevent enemy commanders from using their auto recall (unless it is destroyed in-game). It will not prevent standard recall.

Level 2 Recall Jamming Array.
This array is much more powerful. It will prevent attackers from using any recall or auto-recall until it is destroyed in-game.

Level 1 Planetary Stealth Generator.
This structure will conceal the planetary defences located on this planet, on the Galactic Map. It has no in-game functionality.

Level 1 Depot.
Increases the credit generation rate for all commanders. Has no in-game functionality (but will appear as a Civilian structure). There is a limit of one Depot per planet.

Level 1 Quantum Gate Network Hub.
Exerts planetary control influence over any planet within three degrees of separation. Influence reduces with increased degrees of separation. Has no in-game functionality.

Level 2 Major Quantum Gate Network Hub.
Exerts a planetary control influence over any planet within six degrees of separation. Has a positive influence within 3 degrees of separation (i.e. it will increase friendly control over time). Has no in-game functionality.

Level 1 Staging Area.
Renders the planet immune to enemy influence. Has no in-game functionality.

Level 3 Hyper-gate.
Allows an attack to occur directly on any planet within 12 degrees of separation (at greatly increased cost). Has no in-game functionality. It cannot be stealthed on the Galactic Map and cannot be activated for 48hrs after construction.

Level 3 Quantum Network Game Ender.
Aka. Black Sun. It will devastate a planet within 6 degrees of separation (requires activation cost to fire). Destroying all planetary defences and rendering the planet entirely neutral. Has no in-game functionality. It cannot be stealthed on the Galactic Map and cannot be activated for 48hrs after construction.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Re: Auto-recall and Proposed Meta-game Elements

Postby Yama_Dharma » 17 Jan 2014, 08:37

Firewall wrote:Level 1 Interceptor Satellite Control Tower.
An orbital satellite intercepts reinforcement transports. Prevents reinforcements from being called into the battlefield.

Level 2 Aerial Interceptor Satellite Control Tower.
This satellite not only intercepts reinforcement transports - but it will effectively prevent the construction of any air units. It will force the attackers to assault the planet without the use of air units (until it is destroyed).

Level 1 Auto Recall Jamming Array.
Just as the Seraphim used in Operation Meltdown to kill Elite Commander Dostya. This array will prevent enemy commanders from using their auto recall (unless it is destroyed in-game). It will not prevent standard recall.

Level 2 Recall Jamming Array.
This array is much more powerful. It will prevent attackers from using any recall or auto-recall until it is destroyed in-game.

This is just too much.

First solution is to increase cost of autorecall depending on commanders rank. somth like 500, 1000, 2000 etc

And about reinforcements it is about of preventing low-ranked players of using high-ranked reinfrocements or hordes of low-ranked. May be somth like "total price of reinforcements that could be used during one game" which also grows with ranking up.
Yama_Dharma
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Yama_Dharma

Postby Ze_PilOt » 17 Jan 2014, 10:07

Depots will be more than that (search the forum), game enders are planned for all factions (same), but that's it. I won't implement further features.

- It takes too much of my time
- It's a nightmare to balance
- I'm not sure making the game more complex for the sake of it is good.

For balance, I was thinking of only allowing auto-recalling in the area of the beacon.
But again, until depots are in, I don't want to talk about price, times or anything balance-related.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Golol » 18 Jan 2014, 00:42

i think auto recall is good how it is. it should be normal that a player has an auto recall and maybe you might not attack and be able to buy an auto recall. it isnt for free...
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Ato0theJ » 19 Jan 2014, 10:20

I think 500 is a good price to start out with. It is half of the total credits available to a starting player at max credits. I think the cost should be half of your ranks maximum credits.

EX- rank 3 player has 3000 credit max, autorecall costs 1500.

So with the benefit of having more credits available, you have to pay more for the most important tool. Needing to be in beacon range might be a bit much, but maybe there can be a new unit made for auto recall that you can build in your base and protect. You could still snipe it, but that just might be adding too much complexity.
Ato0theJ
Contributor

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: AJ

Postby Hawkei » 19 Jan 2014, 11:56

Ato0theJ wrote:I think 500 is a good price to start out with. It is half of the total credits available to a starting player at max credits. I think the cost should be half of your ranks maximum credits.

EX- rank 3 player has 3000 credit max, autorecall costs 1500.

So with the benefit of having more credits available, you have to pay more for the most important tool. Needing to be in beacon range might be a bit much, but maybe there can be a new unit made for auto recall that you can build in your base and protect. You could still snipe it, but that just might be adding too much complexity.

So how does this deal with Lower ranked players buying Autorecall for their superior officers? Should the cost of the purchase be based on the rank of the recipient or the buyer?
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Szakalot » 19 Jan 2014, 12:03

Firewall wrote:So how does this deal with Lower ranked players buying Autorecall for their superior officers? Should the cost of the purchase be based on the rank of the recipient or the buyer?

You could simply only allow buying auto-recall for yourself, and not for other players. I don't see a big problem with balance or anything.

Half max credits is a really good idea IMO. Its not like a REALLY good player will have to use it as often, so it balances itself out (weaker players will need to rely on auto-recall more, and are less likely to get to these high ranks where the expense is too great)
Szakalot

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Szakalot

Return to Galactic War